Preferred 5.3L L83 Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the preferred oil filter for a 5.3L L83 in a 2016 Suburban. I am getting ready for an LOF. I NOW know that a 22 psi bypass is required. I am currently running a FRAM XG10575 with M1 0w-20 AFE. The XG10575 which is a lower bypass rating, I believe 9-15.

Price is not really an issue as I will be changing it once a year according to the OLM, at around 6500 miles.

I called Fram and they don't seem too concerned about running their current XG10575 in an L83. They may be working on a new filter, but what is recommended in the mean time.

Maybe?:
Amsoil EA017
Royal Purple 20-500
Wix 10255

or just stay with the Fram XG10575 for now, until a new one is released.

Not thrilled with the PF63E for a 1 year use. Also never was impressed with e-cores for long runs.

Last edited:
Money no object (filters just over 20 psi)
RP 20-500
Mid price
Baldwin B7449
Low cost
AC Delco PF63E

Is the Amsoil EA017 bypass the same as the Royal Purple 20-500? I don't see bypass info on the Amsoil site.

Someone posted last week that Fram has a new filter specific to the higher bypass on the new GM engines, I'll see if I can find it.

Personally I'd continue running the XG Fram you have u til the new one is released, then I'd switch to the new model.

Meant to note the RP has a base end bypass ~ Fram does not. As much as I liked and ran the XG10575 on Ford and GM … I don't want a bottom end (of the can) bypass that is under rated on the new 5.3L …

61762E12-0383-4022-A34C-E67C9715CC4F.jpeg

I use the RP 20-500 on my 18' Impala. I bought three of them on Amazon for only a few bucks more (including shipping) than a Fram Ultra at Walmart.
Edited to say: For convenience, I'll go back to the Fram Ultra when they come out with one with the correct bypass pressure for my car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WellOiled
WIX has already made the new filter and populated their data base with the PN.

WIX WL10255 or WIX WL10255XP

+1

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

+1

+2

Is "WL" the designation for the new, improved Wix?

Signed
Two GMs owner

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Is "WL" the designation for the new, improved Wix?

Signed
Two GMs owner

All the ones I have observed begin with WL.

I don't know anything official.

I called Fram and he said that the XG10575 won't be a problem because the synthetic media flows better. He went onto say he runs the same filter (XG10575) with Mobil 1 0w-20 in his 5.3 in his Silverado.

So I guess no worries with the XG10575. He's going to get back with me on when the new filter with the higher bypass will be released.

Just dont do high RPM until the oil warms up some. That should be done regardless of what filter is used.

:) I am sure that my wife will be receptive to my request to keep the RPM's low until the engine warms up.

Originally Posted by zfasts03
I called Fram and he said that the XG10575 won't be a problem because the synthetic media flows better. He went onto say he runs the same filter (XG10575) with Mobil 1 0w-20 in his 5.3 in his Silverado.

So I guess no worries with the XG10575. He's going to get back with me on when the new filter with the higher bypass will be released.

Love that filter ... but just remember if it does bypass ...it circulates out the contents from the bottom of the can right into critical parts ...
have been giving my XG10575s to the BiL for his ecoboost and will use 3 others in my stash on the L83's listed below

Ideally I would like to find a filter with:

22psi bypass
threaded end bypass
synthetic wire backed media

Well all but the the threaded end bypass is available. Some say Royal Purple and Amsoil is all of this, but I am pretty sure they are dome side bypass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back