Raptor 700- M1 vs. T4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon,

First post here. I have a 2006 Yamaha Raptor 700R that i purchased last december from the original owner. He seemed to take fairly good care of it and I intend to do the same. I have been using Mobil 1 4T 10W-40 and changing the oil every 3-4 rides. I recently installed an hour meter and switched over to Rotella T4 15-40 (changing every 5 hours) to save a little cash on oil changes. In your guys opinion, am I better off with the M1 Full synthetic with longer OCI's or stick with the Rotella T4 Dino and change it more often? It is a shared sump, so trying to avoid fuel contamination as well.

I ride in Florida (Dust/Silt/Sand/Mud/ a little bit of everything), and I would say I have the throttle pegged 60% of the time I am riding. I am leaning toward sticking with Rotella and more frequent OCI but figured I would ask here first before I stick with a long term plan.

Rotella is the way to go.
I would worry about other things like: clean/lubricate the chain after every ride and air filter quite often, every ride if you are riding lots of dust. Buy an extra air filter and clean/oil it and keep in a ziplock bag ready to go and after the dirty one gets cleaned and dried, oil that one and have that ready to go

I appreciate the input, that is what I have been doing. Extra filters and I recently replaced the chain with a gold X-Ring chain from RMATV which is internally sealed/lubricated I just keep it clean with WD40.

I run T5 10w30 HDEO in a pure sport 125 hp side by side but i'm in CO. Since your in FL, I think the T4 is an excellent choice!

I built drag race 660 motors for people all over the world. If you have a stock stroke motor Rotella 5-40 with a 6607 or 7317 style filter will be just fine. 5 hrs is way too soon, factory recommendation was 50 hrs using Yamalube.

My drag motors run on RP 5-30 HPS but they have lockout clutches in them, have never noticed any sort of neg affects on the clutch fibers from car oils of any sort. I run HPS 5 30 in my trail bike as well but I'm not saying you should do that, only that you can do that if you wanted to.

I built drag race 660 motors for people all over the world. If you have a stock stroke motor Rotella 5-40 with a 6607 or 7317 style filter will be just fine. 5 hrs is way too soon, factory recommendation was 50 hrs using Yamalube.

My drag motors run on RP 5-30 HPS but they have lockout clutches in them, have never noticed any sort of neg affects on the clutch fibers from car oils of any sort. I run HPS 5 30 in my trail bike as well but I'm not saying you should do that, only that you can do that if you wanted to.

Originally Posted by Torch94
I appreciate the input, that is what I have been doing. Extra filters and I recently replaced the chain with a gold X-Ring chain from RMATV which is internally sealed/lubricated I just keep it clean with WD40.

WD-40 is not a lube, get some honda chain lube, silicone based, sand doesn't stick to it and it is not greasy. Personally, I use PJ1, it is messy but it is a lube.

Originally Posted by sw99
I run T5 10w30 HDEO in a pure sport 125 hp side by side but i'm in CO. Since your in FL, I think the T4 is an excellent choice!

I appreciate it I think so too.

Thestinger- This is a 12-13 year old bike with the engine never cracked open. These aren't known to have the most robust crank bearings so I think cheap rotella is cheap insurance even at 5 hours. Not a problem for me.

I agree with you, WD40 is not a lube. However, I am running a sealed X-Ring chain. So chain lube would do nothing to help it other than keep rust off of the chain itself, which WD40 does the same thing. If it was a regular standard chain, I use maxima chain wax which I have in the cabinet for our Suzuki Z400.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back