2017 Kia Sportage 2.4 oil filter & drain plug torque

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear community,
I'm going to do my first DIY oil change on my 2017 Sportage EX 2.4 and wanted to as you to educate me what is the recommended torque value for the oil drain plug and filter itself.
I found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eoot2Ng9DIs but it doesnt provide any specific data on the torque.
Thx!

For the first time last week I torqued down a Subaru drain plug after 10 years of German torque (guten tighten); manual says 33 ft-lbs but I don't know about the Kia, as the Subaru plug is pretty large diameter. No drips so far
smile.gif

Kia and Hyundai engines use a soft aluminum crush washer. After doing hundreds (maybe thousands) of them you get to where you can actually feel the "crush" of the washer. I can see in my mind's eye exactly what an under torqued, over torqued, and properly torqued crush washer looks like. I can even tell when they have been reused. (They will have more than one witness mark). If they have been reused a few times they squish so much you must actually unthread them from the plug in a vise with pliers.

Moral: Always use a new crush washer and don't over torque them.

Also, now you know way too much about Kia drain plug crush washers.

Originally Posted by 69Torino
Kia and Hyundai engines use a soft aluminum crush washer. After doing hundreds (maybe thousands) of them you get to where you can actually feel the "crush" of the washer. I can see in my mind's eye exactly what an under torqued, over torqued, and properly torqued crush washer looks like. I can even tell when they have been reused. (They will have more than one witness mark). If they have been reused a few times they squish so much you must actually unthread them from the plug in a vise with pliers.

Moral: Always use a new crush washer and don't over torque them.

Also, now you know way too much about Kia drain plug crush washers.

I use either aluminum or copper drain plug washers. Never have to replace them, can use them over and over ... and I've never had one leak with re-use.

I'm not a Tech Professional like 69Torino but have had two Hyundai/Kia products in my driveway since 2012. His experience is very familiar. I too can almost tell you, by feel alone, when it's tight enough by the squish of the washer.

Personally I don't torque the oil drain plugs on the vehicles I maintain, just snug them up and do reuse the aluminum crush washers, though not indefinitely.

That said, if one reads bitog regularly, some/(many) consider not torqueing the drain plug to be heresy. I've even read some torqueing the oil filters on iirc Hondas to be standard practice. If the OP is not confident about snugging the drain plug or just by preference, using a torque wrench and spec not a bad practice.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Amsoil Online Product Application Guide lists 25-32 ft/lbs for drain plug.

I'd certainly stay on the low end of the torque spec. I've never torqued any drain plug over 20 ft-lbs and they all stay tight.

Thx a lot for all the useful info!
And yes, I know about crush washers. In fact, I've got a new bolt just in case, and my OEM filter comes with new crusher so all parts are going to be brand new.
I know it's not a big deal, but I'm super excited to do that, and keep thinking about it like an idiot
smile.gif

For the oil filter, rule one is don't use a tool to tighten it. Never.
I tighten it by hand and turn it as hard as I can. Just my hand; not even a rag or glove. Unless you happen to be a gorilla, you'll never have a problem.
smile.gif

The Kia OEM Filters have a "P" shaped profile to the gasket and will actually stop turning at a point. Not like a rectangle cross section gasket on an aftermarket filter that you can tighten to oblivion. You'll get a feel for it. You'll feel it stop better if you Lube the gasket with clean oil. Unfortunately, in my experience, most of the time you will need a filter wrench to get them back off even when tightened by hand per instructions.

Most importantly, enjoy your time maintaining your own ride. It's a lost art.

Originally Posted by SlavaB
Hey JohnnyJohnson, what do you mean by that?

He's joking.
grin2.gif

On the other side of the coin, in the over 45 years I have been changing oil I've never used a torque wrench. Never had a leak and never stripped a plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back