Dodge Challenger R/T Tips and Tricks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son just bought a 2017 Challenger R/T w/ the 5.7, pre-owned w/ 28,000 miles. Seems to be in relatively mint condition, just wondering for any tips, tricks, and tweaks that're handy to know.

Keep an eye on the intake bolts, they will slowly work themselves loose as you approach higher mileage.

Their torque spec is 120 in/lbs IIRC. Check them periodically and tighten back down as necessary.

I had VERY limited exposure to a 2015 Charger. I merely helped prep it for sale.

One of the center caps popped out.

If your wheel style has plastic center caps, check 'em to see if they're "adequately engineered".

Stupid part cost $25; and that included a discount because I had worked with the parts guys in a former life.

Hopefully other will be along with better tips.

Originally Posted by Kira
I had VERY limited exposure to a 2015 Charger. I merely helped prep it for sale.

One of the center caps popped out.

If your wheel style has plastic center caps, check 'em to see if they're "adequately engineered".

Stupid part cost $25; and that included a discount because I had worked with the parts guys in a former life.

Hopefully other will be along with better tips.

The dog dish center caps on my Charger's cop steelies are $60 apiece, if you're lucky. Some places get a lot more than that for them.

Oh yeah, and you have to use one specific type of lug nut on the wheels to allow the dog dishes to fit on and stay on. Those puppies are $3 a pop, and you have to order them (not available at local brick and mortar joints, that I've found). And if that weren't enough, you have to run 5 lug nuts on every wheel, all the time. Try to get by with 4 on a wheel and you'll lose the dog dish on that wheel pretty darned quick.

Last edited:
It will have the infamous swelling tin-cap lug nuts. I'd get solid Gorilla chromies in the same seat style online and replace them before you get stuck paying $8 each at a tire place.

Dorman solids are ultra cheap, but rust quickly.

He's planning the upgrade the wheel rims from factory to an after market set, likely in black since the car is black and he's into the blackened out look that is popular these days. Expect new lug nuts will be installed with the new rims.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
likely in black since the car is black and he's into the blackened out look that is popular these days.

Hopefully he doesn't want to tint the rear brake lights black. Since altering a safety device isn't the smartest thing to do. Eep if he gets rear ended and someone mentions the tinted lights. The lawyers can have a field day if they discover it.

Just make sure to set extra money aside to help pay for tickets.
grin.gif

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
Keep an eye on the intake bolts, they will slowly work themselves loose as you approach higher mileage.

Their torque spec is 120 in/lbs IIRC. Check them periodically and tighten back down as necessary.

Can confirm. And yes, 120 in/lbs. Mine were not even finger tight at 100k
shocked2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back