Mobil 1 0W/40 FS, 3731 miles, 1996 Acura 3.5 RL

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

Filter 1 Cut Open Microgreen MG-101-7 1783mi

Filter 2 Cut Open Fram TG7317 - 1,948 mi

Probably not much to be learned here, short run mileage wise lot of make up oil due to leaking filter...

As always I remind the group that Blackstone does not differentiate between "Honda 3.5L" engines and this is not the common J35, but rather a C35A which is AFAIK only used in Acura RL/Honda Legend.

In went Mobil 1 5W/30 EPHM and a Hamp filter.

Why change the oil early then, with all the make up oil, if you ran previous oils way longer with no top off and still had 4.x TBN?

Well it was a short run mileage wise, but over a year and the car sits outside under a carport recently with many short trips. Additionally much like the Pickup, I need to see it more often than once every 2 years...

Maybe I'll skip changing it next year or maybe not.

Not that I really need to explain myself to a bunch of dipsticks on an oil forum...

I can forgo posting UOAs in the future if you'd rather not see them...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Well it was a short run mileage wise, but over a year and the car sits outside under a carport recently with many short trips. Additionally much like the Pickup, I need to see it more often than once every 2 years...

Not that I really need to explain myself to a bunch of dipsticks on an oil forum...

Well then clearly you don't need any advice either.

Sheesh.

Robert: I wouldn't worry what others think. I take 98% of the folks here comments at face value. Thanks for the UOA also
smile.gif

Originally Posted by kschachn

Sheesh.

You're right, I don't which is why I didn't ask for any.

23.gif

Originally Posted by kschachn

Sheesh.

You're right, I don't which is why I didn't ask for any.

I agree. Every time I'm asked how long I've run a filter or oil, I get an earful about how "wasteful" I am.

And every time I offer to send my used oil or filters to the people calling me wasteful... Nothing but crickets.

One time someone someone asked for the oil, but he wanted ME to get a UOA on it first! I thought the oil was still good?

lol.gif

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

Robert: I wouldn't worry what others think. I take 98% of the folks here comments at face value. Thanks for the UOA also
smile.gif

Thanks Adam, yeah I'm not worried what they think, just given' em back what they give.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

I agree. Every time I'm asked how long I've run a filter or oil, I get an earful about how "wasteful" I am.

And every time I offer to send my used oil or filters to the people calling me wasteful... Nothing but crickets.

One time someone someone asked for the oil, but he wanted ME to get a UOA on it first! I thought the oil was still good?

lol.gif

LOL, BITOG home of the skinflints... Probably wanted you to pay to ship it too...

Oh I didn't notice that it's been a year.

In that case, I would have dumped it too, if it was my car.

I'm sure keeping it in 2-3 years is fine, especially on an older vehicle but, I'd rather have fresh Lube any day of the week.

Originally Posted by Artem
Oh I didn't notice that it's been a year.

In that case, I would have dumped it too, if it was my car.

I'm sure keeping it in 2-3 years is fine, especially on an older vehicle but, I'd rather have fresh Lube any day of the week.

I do agree it would have been OK for 2 years. I can (and do) check fluids and that sort of thing with some regularity, but if I actually need to work on it and get it to tools, then I have to go get it. Also as I mentioned it now sits outside (well in an open carport) and is more subject to weather and short trips, (it is less than a mile to the store) so if I've gone to all the effort to go get it, jack it up look around under it... does it really make sense to not change it...

I'm still kind of on the fence but I am probably going to step both this and the Ranger up to every year.

It looks OK. I had a 2002 RL with similar mileage but your wear metals are significantly higher with a shorter oci. Do you drive her hard? Honestly i miss that old car, some idiot hit and run her in a parking lot, car was written off. Anyways, i used to put pennzoil platinum in her (stocked up on 5w30 whenever it was on sale) and started using hamp filters as well, they are expensive to get in canada though, as is everything good. I still have some left over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back