Valvoline "Modern Engine Synthetic"

Yep. I took advantage of that deal. I got my check from Valvoline yesterday so a 4 week turnaround on the rebate. That deal is still ongoing too.

Going to pick up another 5 Quart jug soon. Can't find many UOAs on here though. The Search feature seems finicky at best.

Originally Posted by J_ODIE
Going to pick up another 5 Quart jug soon. Can't find many UOAs on here though. The Search feature seems finicky at best.

There is a voa somewhere. I haven't seen a uoa either.

Just an update. I am at 3K miles on this oil and will be changing soon with my other 5Qt jug.

Some observations.

Oil got very dark starting at 1500 miles. My previous oil, Valvoline 5w40 MST stayed very clean looking. I run 3k OCIs.

No oil consumption on this oil but I didn't have to add oil running the MST either.

I wont be doing a UOA on this OCI. I'll do ot at the next change to make sure no other oil type is in the mix.

Also, driving style has not changed.

Last edited:
Going to be trying their 5w20 version in a two year less modern engine (2010). Hope the oil accepts my old engine, Mazda MZR 2.0L non-skyactiv. Switching from Amsoil SS back to off the shelf products which I can get rebates on. $15 off $29.74, bringing it to $14.74 is pretty good. I will probably be just doing biennial oil changes now as this car isn't really worth the money spent on Amsoil in it. Any oil rebates midsummer?

Originally Posted by beavis87
Going to be trying their 5w20 version in a two year less modern engine (2010). Hope the oil accepts my old engine, Mazda MZR 2.0L non-skyactiv. Switching from Amsoil SS back to off the shelf products which I can get rebates on. $15 off $29.74, bringing it to $14.74 is pretty good. I will probably be just doing biennial oil changes now as this car isn't really worth the money spent on Amsoil in it. Any oil rebates midsummer?

Where did you get it for $29.74? That's a good price.

I got my rebate through Team Valvoline by signing up for their club. A few weeks later I got a goody bag from them in the mail which included coupons for $15 off good for six months.

Originally Posted by PimTac

I got my rebate through Team Valvoline by signing up for their club. A few weeks later I got a goody bag from them in the mail which included coupons for $15 off good for six months.

At Walmart. Of the handful of ones within 7 miles of me, only one carried it.

Originally Posted by PimTac

At Walmart. Of the handful of ones within 7 miles of me, only one carried it.

Thanks. The price of this oil has been going down since it was announced. Originally it was close to $40 at Wally's. $29.74 is a decent price. I paid $34.xx st Wally's andvthe $15 rebate brought it below $20.

I'm running the 0w20 and the engine runs quiet and smooth.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by 69Torino
I can't believe that "oil designed for GDI cars" will in any way thwart these kind of issues.

It might help with LSPI.... but I SERIOUSLY doubt it helps with any other issues.

The only thing that is going to help with LSPI is to make the manufacturers fix it rather than pushing it on the users with a B S oil fix.

I called Valvoline's Tech department yesterday and asked them why the Noack is higher (12%) on the Valvoline Modern Engine comparted to their regular FS and MaxLife. He said that the detergent level is a lot higher in the Modern Engine formulation so when oil comes off the cylinder it will wash the intake valves and that is how it keeps them cleaner. He said Noack is not as important.

Noack is not as important in a TGDI / GDI engine, designed for shorter OCIs. TBN also.

Design can be interpreted as being user-smart in doing the necessary homework. That homework involves the realization that in most-all cases, everyone driving in continental USA using one of these engines, should be abiding close to the Severe Use manual recommendations.

No one wants to pay $40 for an oil that's only in use for 5K. But does the oil work well for those 5Ks?...... you betcha'. But in looking at the add-pack in UOAs, it's really hard to see it's benefits. That's because the base oil has stout benefits.

Valvoline knows their business well and not inclined to step into EP-type labels, for proof their stuff works well. That's how and that why Valvoline has a long-long line of repeat customers not interested in two-digit-long OCIs

I'm using Valvoline next in the Hyundai. I paid $22 for the new formulated Advanced. I want to run 5K OCIs and that's why I didn't pay $40 for the Modern Engine. I suppose I could have, but 7.5K OCIs is the maximum Hyundai allows and I'm smarter-than-that with this engine. I want to own this vehicle 18 years and I don't want a major carbon cleanup done to it years from now.

Last edited:
*I currently have the Valvoline Advanced 5W30 in my '17 Sonata 2.4L GDI engine . So far , I have nothing bad to say about this oil except I had to add about 1/3rd ~ 1/2 of a quart of make up oil (Super Tech Synthetic 5W30) at 1,500 miles to keep the dip stick at the full mark. This top off amount is probably nothing to worry about as it is a GDI engine ...
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Noack is not as important in a TGDI / GDI engine, designed for shorter OCIs. TBN also.

Design can be interpreted as being user-smart in doing the necessary homework. That homework involves the realization that in most-all cases, everyone driving in continental USA using one of these engines, should be abiding close to the Severe Use manual recommendations.

No one wants to pay $40 for an oil that's only in use for 5K. But does the oil work well for those 5Ks?...... you betcha'. But in looking at the add-pack in UOAs, it's really hard to see it's benefits. That's because the base oil has stout benefits.

Valvoline knows their business well and not inclined to step into EP-type labels, for proof their stuff works well. That's how and that why Valvoline has a long-long line of repeat customers not interested in two-digit-long OCIs

I'm using Valvoline next in the Hyundai. I paid $22 for the new formulated Advanced. I want to run 5K OCIs and that's why I didn't pay $40 for the Modern Engine. I suppose I could have, but 7.5K OCIs is the maximum Hyundai allows and I'm smarter-than-that with this engine. I want to own this vehicle 18 years and I don't want a major carbon cleanup done to it years from now.

I'm wondering if this oil uses POE as a base oil for solvency purposes. The VOA shows low metallic adds, which is good.

Not to impressed with that video as his answers are rather simple and incomplete. At 3.00 in the video he implies that a catch can causes your engine consume more oil and could possibly lead you to run the your engine low on oil. If I were Valvoline, I'd remove this video.

I picked up some Valovline ME 5w20 on clearance for 17 bucks for a 5 quart jug and 2 bucks for some single quarts. I am running it in my 3.8 Jeep and it noticeably quieted the engine down. I've run many brands and weights in that engine and never noticed a difference among any of them. We'll see how long that lasts, but I fugure that old V6 won't make this oil break a sweat. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) I can only run a 6k OCI due to having a lifetime powertrain warranty. I'd run it far longer, if I could, because I have to add nearly a quart every 1k miles, as this engine has a drinking problem. [censored], every 6 to 7k it amounts to an oil change, so I wouldn't have a problem running it out to 15k if not for the warranty.

I like it, so far, and the engine seems to feel the same. I'm only about 2k into this run, though. I won't do a UOA because it is pointless, I think, with so much makeup oil.

I do believe there is something unique or special about the oil. I don't know what but the price is indicative of an expensive ingredient.

I just picked up 28 quarts of this in the 0W-20 flavor @ $2.00/quart at Auto Zone. It's on clearance there.

I'll put it in the fiancee's 18 Civic 1.5T for 5K OCIs. Should work great.

FYI, they also had M1-AP, RTG, VAS, and QSUD ok clearance also at $2.00/quart. And some of the other QS formulations were marked as cheap as $0.40/quart.

I snagged 15 quarts of M1-AP and 23 quarts of the VME at those prices.

41274312-6163-4FD7-AD11-4BDC11B8CEBC.jpeg

Back