Delvac 1 5w-30 vs 5w-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see that the 5w-30 is sn/sm rated and the 5w-40 is not. Can someone please inform me of why this is? I believe I remember readying a while back about CAFE standards or something to the effect of fuel efficiency that a 40wt doesnt fall under.
I can tell you this........ after switching my tundra 4.7 to this stuff, the typical engine startup noise is gone! The engine always had a little rattle or valve train noise on startup until now so color me impressed.
The reason I'm asking about the difference is because my wifes 2015 Tahoe 5.3 calls for a "dexos" 5w-20. I will never run a 20wt oil, it's just not gonna happen. So is there any long term down side to running the delvac 1 over the AFE that is dexos rated and currently being ran?

Good news for you. Both Mobil Delvac 1 5w40 and 0w40 are SN rated. Check out Mobil.com. I would run 5w30 Dexos with a 2015 5.3 simply because it has the variable displacement system that was redesigned in 2014.
The system includes a variable pressure oil pump with up 70 psi at highway cruising speed, redesigned lifters, an oil filter with a higher bypass pressure, an 8 quart sump and the specification for Dexos approved oil. It's all meant to work together. Excellent engine. The Chevy engineers don't want you running 40 weight oil in it. This is much more than a CAFE issue and I don't care if someone's uncle has been running 40 weight in his for thee last three years.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Good news for you. Both Mobil Delvac 1 5w40 and 0w40 are SN rated. Check out Mobil.com. I would run 5w30 Dexos with a 2015 5.3 simply because it has the variable displacement system that was redesigned in 2014.
The system includes a variable pressure oil pump with up 70 psi at highway cruising speed, redesigned lifters, an oil filter with a higher bypass pressure, an 8 quart sump and the specification for Dexos approved oil. It's all meant to work together. Excellent engine. The Chevy engineers don't want you running 40 weight oil in it. This is much more than a CAFE issue and I don't care if someone's uncle has been running 40 weight in his for thee last three years.

Just my 2 cents.

Snagglefoot
What is the difference between a 5w-30 dexos oil and a 5w-30 HDEO? Wouldnt the HDEO have more additives for better engine longevity?
From what I read all DEXOS is the consolidation of 5 previous GM specifications.........
Any sm/sn oil will dang near meet those specs.
[Linked Image]

And the more I read..... it's all about FEES and LICENSIING..... so oil manufacturers jumped in board to pay GM so they could sell more oil..... other than that I dont see any definitive difference over previous specs.......
Seemingly DEXOS is just a global standard to bring in alot more licensing fees...... but yet American taxpayers still have to bail out GM? What in Sam hill does GM do with all the money they make? Oh yeah they bonus it out to fat cat executives........ hogwash if you ask me....

Last edited:
Actually Jmoney, I responded to your post more on a basis of 30 wt vs 40 wt. The Dexos vs HDEO should be discussed more. The most popular 5w30 HDEO I personally know of is Shell Rotell 5w30 multi-fleet. Would someone like to discuss the differences between a Dexos approved 5w30 and the Rotella? Garak, where are you?

Last edited:
Yes snagglefoot thank you.....
All my other rambles is just me being me..... thinking how I do..... which is why taxpayers have to bail out a company that posts billions in profits every year but yet they always want more taxpayer money

Some HDEOs have forgone gasoline specifications. If it's in what's known as an ILSAC grade, that is, 0w-30, 5w-30, 10w-30, even if they have a CK-4 listed first, they do not get a phosphorus waiver for SN. So, they must have 800 ppm or lower. For Delvac 1 LE 5w-30, which is still CJ-4/SN rather than CK-4/SN, it would never be an issue, because its E6 specification (same as Shell Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5w-30 in CK-4/SN, Delo LE 5w-30, and a Castrol variant) already limits the phosphorus to 800 ppm, irrespective of it being CJ-4 or CK-4. Each company can handle things differently based upon their own plans. Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 is CJ-4/SN as before. Rotella T6 5w-30 is CK-4/SN. The Castrol version is diesel rated only, despite being E6 and meeting any SN phosphorus limits. Now, with more ordinary CK-4 lubricants, like the 10w-30 HDEOs we'd see, when going CK-4, they either don't get to have SN, or they cut phosphorus. With the 40 grades, they formulate and label in what way works best for the oil company's product strategy.

If wanting to talk dexos1, there are a couple things to remember. Let's look at the original dexos1 specification. It wasn't terribly demanding, and could be met by a blend. The Vette synthetic spec seemed to be more rigorous. The main thing was to have a reasonable oil above and beyond ILSAC for reasonable OCIs. Most synthetic 5w-30 ILSAC options on the market at the time, particularly the majors, exceeded it already. Things are a little tougher these days with LSPI and reduction in calcium. Incidentally, most synthetic HDEOs had already done that long before dexos1 Generation 2 came about. Less calcium and more magnesium is an effective way to keep both the TBN up and SA down as required in E7, E9 lubricants. That came about generally with the CJ-4 rollout.

I'd have little doubt that Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5w-30 (or any other E6 lubricant) would be suitable for use in a GM engine calling for dexos1 5w-30 of either generation. An E6 lubricant won't meet dexos1, technically, though, either Gen 1 or 2, because the HTHS is too high. It's simply thicker than what GM has been seeking for most gasoline engines for a number of years. Aside from that, most E6 lubricants would easily go to the OLM limits of a GM vehicle, and much longer. An E6 also won't meet dexos2, incidentally, because, while HTHS is correct, SA is too high.

I wouldn't say that Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle is the most popular HDEO. I would say that an E6 lubricant like that "should" be the most popular synthetic HDEO, given the builder approvals and versatility, but these things take time. Trying to usurp 10w-30 or 15w-40 conventional HDEOs will take a lot of work and luck. I've noticed that here in Canada, the E6 lubricants I've looked at have been attractively priced. Availability at ordinary retail outlets isn't where it should be, but for anyone buying from a commercial outlet, it's very easy and cost effective.

They're not 0w-30, 5w-30, or 10w-30, so they still have the phosphorus waiver. The 800 ppm only applies to those so-called ILSAC grades, and, of course, anything carrying an E6, irrespective of grade.

It's similar to how an A3/B4 Xw-40 can have SN, but Castrol 0w-30 A3/B4 isn't SM or SN. The Castrol 0w-30 was never eligible for the phosphorus waiver (didn't have a C spec ahead of an S spec), so can't have SM or SN, and a 0w-30, 5w-30, or 10w-30 HDEO in CK-4 can no longer claim the phosphorus waiver for SN, either. So, it's cut the phosphorus or don't get the SN in an Xw-30. Whether the phosphorus waiver will remain for non-ILSAC grades remains to be seen. Of course, A3/B4 lubricants are still suitable for gasoline engines, with or without an API S specification.

Since API is advising the use of SN products in vehicles with catalytic convertors and is limiting ILSAC oils to 800 ppm, is there a document somewhere that explains why they would allow that exemption knowing they are concerned about the effect of higher levels of zinc phosphate on catalytic convertors?

There are at least a couple schools of thought on that. First off, for most Japanese and North American vehicles over the last number of years, the call has been for a 30 or 20 grade with ILSAC certification, so that already took care of the phosphorus. With no waiver and most of those oils on the shelves already having ILSAC certification, most of the buying public has been purchasing oil with under 800 ppm phosphorus already. Even my G37, which calls for 5w-30 in SM or newer, with ILSAC being optional, finding a 5w-30 with SM or SN and elevated ILSAC would be difficult. Imperial Oil got rid of their high phosphorus 5w-30 HDEO when CI-4+ gave way to CJ-4 and XD-3 to Delvac. So, finding a high phosphorus 5w-30 with SM hasn't been easy before, and with SN rules now, next to impossible.

With respect to 40 grades with SM or SN and phosphorus, vehicles calling just for a 5w-40 or 0w-40 in SM or SN aren't common, and even less so now. Most gassers currently calling for a 40 grade are calling for an ACEA or proprietary spec anyhow, so whatever the API does isn't relevant to them. The Germans decided, at least for a while, not to worry about enforcing ILSAC levels of phosphorus.

Of course, look at some OEMs' wordings. I'm going to have to pick on Ford again. They want high phosphorus for their diesels, they say. Then, they state in the same memo to never use HDEOs in a gas engine, despite the reduction in phosphorus of a CK-4/SN 30 grade. According to Ford, I shouldn't use Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5w-30 in a Powerstroke because it doesn't have Ford's numbered spec on the bottle while being CK-4/SN and has too little phosphorus. Ford also says it's not supposed to be used in a Ford gasser calling for 5w-30 and mentions too much phosphorus. I'm not sure how 800 ppm in a CK-4/SN 5w-30 is different than 800 ppm in an SN/GF-5.

OEMs wanted reduced phosphorus to protect the cats because they had to warranty them for an extended period as part of the emissions warranty. For the most part, the specifications OEMs called for with respect to gasoline engines made sure the phosphorus levels were lower. For the vast majority of gasoline engines in North America, getting higher phosphorus (i.e. an A3/B4 40 or an HDEO 40 with SN) would involve purchasing out of spec oil in the first place, which is pretty much out of the OEM's hands, not to mention responsibility for emissions warranty.

I ran Delvac 1 5w40 in my 2010 5.3L ... it had VVT but not AFM. As for viscosity change on the new L83 5.3L's ... it has been mentioned here that the AFM hardware is the same ...
The new engine is direct injection ... but I have not seen much on that engine having LSPI issues ... Regardless keep an eye on calcium, why not ?
I'm still going to wait on warranty ... and will likely only bump up to a Dexos 5w30 when I am ready

Just to be clear, the 2014 5.3 is a Gen 5 engine with a re-designed AFM system that is much more reliable the the pre-2014 5.3, which was a Gen 4.
Most people who have reported on the Gen 5 have said the switch from 8 cylinders to 4 and back to 8 is imperceptible.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD
... but I have not seen much on that engine having LSPI issues ... Regardless keep an eye on calcium, why not ?
I'm still going to wait on warranty ...

No, shouldn't be an issue, but why not, right?

Snagglefoot: No problem at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back