0w20 oils - NOACK

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder why that Federated is loaded with all the Sodium (400+ ppm). I know it's part of their additive package but makes one wonder why they go this direction when most others don't.

Then just search the PQIA site. It appears this was pulled by just going back to the 2014 tests and finding the big group test. PQIA has a tool where you can search their database by name, viscosity, whatever. There are plenty of newer 0W20s tested there since 2014, but unfortunately not much better NOACKs from what I've perused...

Originally Posted by Cressida
I wonder why that Federated is loaded with all the Sodium (400+ ppm). I know it's part of their additive package but makes one wonder why they go this direction when most others don't.

Not anymore the list is out dated useless info.

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I know this is dated, but this info surprised me. Holy moly NOACK!

http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/consolidated 0W-20.html
Noack is the latest BITOG thing to post about?

For me, yes, given the fact that 0W20 is the only weight oil accepted in the latest Audi/VW models and that applies to me now. These oils are going into serial production engines from VAG and are DI engines that are turbocharged. That scares me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Then just search the PQIA site. It appears this was pulled by just going back to the 2014 tests and finding the big group test. PQIA has a tool where you can search their database by name, viscosity, whatever. There are plenty of newer 0W20s tested there since 2014, but unfortunately not much better NOACKs from what I've perused...

I searched everywhere on the site and can't find this. Can you be more specific?

Originally Posted by CT8

For me, yes, given the fact that 0W20 is the only weight oil accepted in the latest Audi/VW models and that applies to me now. These oils are going into serial production engines from VAG and are DI engines that are turbocharged. That scares me.

I have somewhere around 470K miles using 0-20 oils with outstanding results. Don't be scared, everything will be OK.

Originally Posted by PimTac
It should be noted that Noack is not the end all to be all specification. Don't concentrate on just Noack.

Take a look at some of the 5W20 Grade NOACK values which are on the average about 50% better than 0W20's, and the viscosity is only about 0.5 cst higher.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT8

508.00 is only on certain models/engines. Otherwise, it's still 502.00. 508.00 is not downward compatible, so it's not approved oil for older FSI-turbo/TSI/TFSI engines.

oils using very low viscosities burn off faster, 0 W's are the worse, but as mola noted a 5 W is a big improvement. girlfriends 13 malibu LS 2.5 direct injected engine was drinking the dexos spec 5-20 oil changed to 10-30 + all was well, for a while anyway, now at almost 60 thou its getting worse so using a 5-40 so far so good!!! all oils were fake synthetic group III's as far as i know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back