Heat Not Hot

Status
Not open for further replies.
09 Tundra - I know it is a decent size engine and takes a bit of time to warm up the engine. The heat is just luke warm, not what it should be. I have
had the rig for 2 years.

Any thoughts?

My Tahoe had a similar problem. The engine temp was OK but the heater was still cool. I drained the antifreeze and backflushed the heater with a garden hose and that fixed it. Apparently debris from somewhere had clogged the heater core. Other possible causes are damper drives that don't move the dampers to the correct position, and kind of unusual but still worth mentioning - an air bubble trapped in a heater hose high point blocking flow.

Originally Posted by Lou_Boyle
My Tahoe had a similar problem. The engine temp was OK but the heater was still cool. I drained the antifreeze and backflushed the heater with a garden hose and that fixed it. Apparently debris from somewhere had clogged the heater core. Other possible causes are damper drives that don't move the dampers to the correct position, and kind of unusual but still worth mentioning - an air bubble trapped in a heater hose high point blocking flow.

^This
And I would add radiator flush chemical first, run for appropriate time (per instructions), flush with hose, and then refill with new coolant; I like Peak Long Life because I only need one kind for both my cars and I can buy the concentrate. Asian specific will work well too but I can only find it 50/50.

Yup. Backflush the heater core.
I hate to say it, but I am surprised to hear about this problem.
Our 2001 with 190K is fine, due to regular maintenance.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back