Can top of the line HDEO go more than 5k in severe service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dnewton3
Originally Posted by leoblack9
... The goalposts may have moved from the time I have asked the original post, what I 'm thinking rihgt now if I could go with a whole year with a "severe" service with a stout HDEO like Delvac1 or any oils meant for extended drains.

My engine is in good condition, no oil consumption, no coolant leaks. Everything seems to be in good working order.

Again - most of the time, service that technically falls into "severe" service never results in an escalation of wear trends.

Honestly just about any good quality HDEO will suffice; you don't need anything special. Most all engines will have a wear-rate that trends downward out to 15k miles, no matter what you put in the crankcase (presuming it's a properly spec'd lube for the application).

You are overthinking this and that's typical; most people are afraid to do things that marketing tells them is heretical. But the reality is that "severe" really isn't, and most all lubes can be safely used for much longer than most folks think.

Thank you for your input, I enjoy your technical explanations even in other threads I've read way before.

I'll extend my OCI for the meantime and sneak in a UOA the next month or so.

Originally Posted by leoblack9

Originally Posted by jayg
Originally Posted by Linctex
I think any modern, conventional 15W-40 changed 1x per year will do just fine for you.

Agreed. I would also echo that I don't consider that usage sever service either.
Hi Jayg, thanks for your input. Do you mean conventional = dino oil? Or should I go with a top of the line synthetic like a group IV or V based oil?

Just a name brand conventional (dino oil) 15w40 would work well for your 6k - 1 year cycle.

Last edited:
15w40 would be good for 78 degree minimum temperature, no need for the more expensive 5w40. You mentioned your commute time. Is that one way or per day? I would start paying attention to operating time if it exceeds 600-700 hours per year, and start basing OCI on time rather than miles

If your lowest temperature is 78 degrees, there is no need to go to a 5w-40. I'd use 15w-40 from any major brand and run 1 year. You mentioned your commute time, is that per trip or per day? I would pay attention to the operating time on the oil if it exceeds say 600 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back