Conventional oil is much better then synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
LE make excellent products...so do dozens of other companies including Amsoil. Anytime a salesman starts bashing another brand it's usually time to walk away. What is the absolute best oil for this engine or gearbox, may not perform satisfactorily in a different engine or gearbox. Nothing is the best at everything.

Originally Posted by Ase
This was told to me by a salesman that says he was also a chemist that is the rep now for a high end lubricant company that sells to the mining business among its customers where it's not uncommon for a 500,000 gearbox replacement in that industry so bottom line he explained to me that a synthetic oil only has a limited amount of chains to attach an additive package to. Vs a conventional oil. Making the conventional oil much better for protecting those engines and gearboxes that are so expensive they make super cars look like toy cars. Cost wise. Any thoughts to this ? True or not ?
I was looking for top grade oil for my cat c-12 Diesel engine. And for my automobiles gas and diesel !

Synthetic oil is much better than conventional.

Speaking of gearboxes, the distributor shaft (a sleeve bearing packed with grease) in my Toyota is prone to burning up the grease and seizing. They don't even make the part anymore.

Several years back, I rebuilt the distributor and packed the shaft with Valvoline Full Synthetic moly grease. Hopefully, it will last. Pack it with grease containing conventional dino oil (Group I) or even the improved conventional Group II? The grease would burn and the bearing would be toast in 100,000 miles.

There is truth to what was said. Royal Purple has always been open that they need a small bit of Grp1 in the Grp IV base to carry the additives. I'm fairly sure it is true for esters, too.

This was about 10 years ago, so maybe they have improved additive technology since then where PAO and Esters can more readily carry the additives.

Esters are excellent at dissolving additives and are often added in small doses for that purpose. PAOs have low additive solubility due to their lack of polarity. Likewise GTLs and Group III stocks may need some help in dissolving certain additives.

Originally Posted by badtlc
Royal Purple has always been open that they need a small bit of Grp1 in the Grp IV base to carry the additives.

Same with Mobil 1, but that small amount of Group I used as a solvent probably wouldn't be considered as part of the base oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back