Tgmo 0w20 8900km , 2013 lexus gs350

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heres the latest from muh baybeh. I think all the cold engine driving to work is starting to show. I work out of town and the highway is RIGHT NEXT to the work camp i stay in so i dont get alot of time to warm up the engine. Im gonna continue as normal for this interval but ive got pennzoil ultra in there right now and i wanna see how it does compared to tgmo. If the numbers still look high i will start letting the car warm up longer before i get on the highway.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 184
It would be better to post the file rather than a download link.

I won't open such things. Others might not either.

Yeah but iron has double with near the same silicon level. I changed the air filter two oci's ago, maybe it didnt seat properly iono but to be honest o always find mobil oil has high iron levels in their uoas anyways but i wanna get my wear #'s down

That much iron in a Toyota engine would scare me. Toyotas seem to always have single digit wear metals. I don't know if thin oil (W20) has anything to do with it,but I'm a thickie. I run 10W30 in my 0W20 spec'd Accord.

TGMO still has a hefty dose of calcium, suggesting they're not concerned with LSPI. I still like the moly load. I'm guessing the short drives take a toll on the engine based on wear metals.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Pim if you hover over the link it's hosted on BITOG not on a 3rd party site. That said I downloaded and it's fine. It's why we all should be running A/V anyway.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by PimTac

Pim if you hover over the link it's hosted on BITOG not on a 3rd party site. That said I downloaded and it's fine. It's why we all should be running A/V anyway.

I can't do that on my phone.

uTrLibQ

Last edited:
Yeah i dunno how to give people what they are asking for, the uoa is there, if people are worried about it then dont open it, im also on my phone so i dunno how to out it in there normally from here.

The acceptable level for iron is 150PPM. A very good report for metal numbers for a 9K OCI. Also a very good TBN report. Don't listen to the thick oil guys.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Wildcard
Yeah i dunno how to give people what they are asking for, the uoa is there, if people are worried about it then dont open it, im also on my phone so i dunno how to out it in there normally from here.

201811 TGMO 0W20 8929 km in 2013 Lexus GS350 3.5L V6 2GRFSE ODO 106,008 km; 7.52 shears pct from cSt

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
That much iron in a Toyota engine would scare me. Toyotas seem to always have single digit wear metals. I don't know if thin oil (W20) has anything to do with it,but I'm a thickie. I run 10W30 in my 0W20 spec'd Accord.

Toyota's have double digit iron metals.

OP your doing winter driving without getting your oil temps up. Your engine is good be cause no other metal is higher than normal.

Wow, this was sure similar to my results - remarkably consistent! I agree, 22 is higher than I am used to seeing for a Toyota. But, much like mine, the other wear metals just aren't there.

The difficulty, naturally, would be translating that into real-world terms. How much longer does an engine with 10ppm iron wear last than an engine with 20ppm? I don't know if it's even possible to begin estimating that. I'm sure I'm a lot like the rest of BITOG when I say I would rather see that number as small as possible, even without a specific way to quantify what exact difference that would make.

Assuming that we are dealing with a specific gravity of around 0.95 and 6.4 litres of oil, we are dealing with about 6.1 kilograms of oil. 22 parts per million, at least by weight, would be about 0.1342 grams of iron loading the oil. If we are dealing with parts per million by volume, we would be looking at 0.1408cc of iron or 1.1 grams. That's a lot more, of course.

Of course, some of the iron would end up stuck in the filter and some of it on the bottom of the oil pan and so on - so the actual shedding rate is probably greater than this.

It also looks like the very thin 7.12cSt viscosity seen on my analysis is very similar to the 7.19 and 7.22 you saw on your other two analyses. This is somewhat of a relief, as I was concerned that there was something wrong with my engine that was causing it to be a bad fuel diluter. Guess TGMO is just thin.

The other surprising thing is how different the TBN retention was - with between 8 and 9 thousand kilometres, we now see four analyses suggesting 2.3, 3.5, 3.8 and 4.2 TBN. No idea what that means.

Yeah the shearing is from the timing chain, based on the info on the forums here tgmo is supposed to be one of the more shear stable oils so im curious how this pennzoil ultra run is gonna go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back