New Mobil 1 Truck & SUV Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be best, in my opinion, to keep the standard M1 line, the EP line, European Formula, and AFE. No need for AP or the Emissions formulas. I would Consolidate those "features" into EP and make it a 20k mile oil. The can keep the Hi-Mileage formula in the regular M1 line and stop the EP formula....most high mileage engines are getting worn enough that extended changes should not be done anyhow and Regular M1 can easily do up to 10k miles anyway. No need for the Super Syn line - heck they cost the same or more than "real" Mobil 1 in auto stores compared to what you pay at Walmart.

The way I see it is they could have:

Mobil 1
AFE for those interested in 0W-xx oils.
EP for those looking to run longer OCIs.
And a HM lineup.

No need for the others, but I have a feeling the more products the more shelf space they'll get, and that's what they're after. For me it all adds up to better closeout deals on the products that flop, and get closed out at low prices. I'll have my eyes peeled for this product flopping and getting blown out at great prices, sometime around November or December 2019.

What's old is new and what is new, is old. Those in the know like most here at BITOG, know it is marketing BS. For the majority buying public that at best will remember their actual grade of oil they need, when they peruse the oil aisle when shopping, they are letting the flashy packaging and marketing lingo on the label help sway their decision most time when not shopping on price alone.

Crowded market for consumer dollars for the various oil brands where growth of a brand is determined by sniping market share from another brand.

No d1g2 cert. If anything this is a cheaper formula with good marketing to fill the profit hole in XOM's P&L from the recent slide is crude.

The other way to look at that is most people don't waste time reading opinions here … and if this oil is sold at a reasonable price it will be just fine for light duty trucks/SUV's for folks with better things to do …
Gee … just look how many here sound like howler monkeys over 0w20 in 1500 trucks …

Mobil 1 is following the Seafoam marketing strategy. Change the bottle, its trans tune. Change the bottle again, its a deep creeping spray. Change it again, cough medicine.

Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
No d1g2 cert. If anything this is a cheaper formula with good marketing to fill the profit hole in XOM's P&L from the recent slide is crude.

Looks like this will compete against Shell Rotella Gas Truck—which has a D1G2 cert..

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rsalan
Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46

Looks like this will compete against Shell Rotella Gas Truck—which has a D1G2 cert..

I saw this. If this product segment gains traction I assume XOM will get it certified.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Who is doing the VOA so that we can find out what this magic ingredient with 10% more that cleans the engines and stop the wear is?

If you really want to know email XOM sometimes they will tell you.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by Gokhan
Who is doing the VOA so that we can find out what this magic ingredient with 10% more that cleans the engines and stop the wear is?

If you really want to know email XOM sometimes they will tell you.

I'm sure buster will.

No interest. 10% is just not significant no matter what additive it is.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
This should be their lineup:

M1 0W16-15W50
M1 HM in whatever weights they want to make.

I tend to agree - the average consumer doesnt know the difference between AP, EP, AFE, etc.

Pennzoil has it right -
- yellow bottle "basic" conventional synth blends in regular and high mileage flavors (with a consistent red label for high mileage!) its a decent synth blend.
- yellow bottle silver label "platinum full synth" in regular and high mileage flavors
- an "ultra platinum" premium synth
- various euro specialty blends within the framework above.

No muss, no fuss, no "do I need extended protection or annual protection?"

PP would have long range oxidation problems in some of the modern engines (as Gokhan mentioned in his graph) so they don't make the claims that Amsoil, Castrol, or Mobil does …
The original PUP had some PAO …
What you did in your 2005 Crown Vic is N/A in today's DI turbo mills …

Hey folk. I was poking around the net looking at this M1 T and S oil. Figured I better skip all the advertising BS and come straight here. Came across this thread in searching.

So it's quite obvious that most of you feel this is more marketing than substance. I understand that. But I would love a layman's explanation on this subject. I think these questions have been answered in previous posts. But frankly, I'm just not versed enough in the lingo and numbers to put it all together.

So compared to M1 5w-30, is M1 5w-30 T and S...

Thicker at operating temps?

Flow better or worse at startup?

Is it on the thicker side of the 5w-30 range?

Thanks

Answers are below. I have looked at Mobils spec sheet.
Originally Posted by Hogwash
Hey folk. I was poking around the net looking at this M1 T and S oil. Figured I better skip all the advertising BS and come straight here. Came across this thread in searching.

So it's quite obvious that most of you feel this is more marketing than substance. I understand that. But I would love a layman's explanation on this subject. I think these questions have been answered in previous posts. But frankly, I'm just not versed enough in the lingo and numbers to put it all together.

So compared to M1 5w-30, is M1 5w-30 T and S...

Thicker at operating temps? It is slightly thicker. 11 cSt vs. 11.5 cSt. But M1 AP is 11.7 cSt.

Flow better or worse at startup? No data there. Doubt its much different.

Is it on the thicker side of the 5w-30 range? No

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back