Redline D4 or Honda atf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. It's time for trans service on my 2007 Acura MDX, I was thinking of using redline D4, which is what their website says to use or should I stick with the stock fluid. I do also use this vehicle on the weekends for Uber and Lyft up in the snow. I will use redline 75/90 in the transfer case

I have used Amsoil ATF on the older Honda V6's which originally spec'ed ATF-Z1. It works fine but the shifts are a bit more "crisp."

our 2009 MDX went with redline D4 with megnafine fiter from new. start using DW1 for a short period when I run low on D4 stash in late 2016 or early 2017, I was not able to find Maxlife in Canada at the time and got a deal on DW1 from dealership here.. didnt like DW1 and pickup gallons jug of Maxlife at Buffalo area. I like the drive feeling with Maxlife the most; Redline D4 give a few second of sensation of "holding" or hang on gear when i left go the throttle, DW1 has a rubbery feeling especially in hot weather, for My MDX feel more direct with Maxlife, more lively. so far has about 120,000km. I am not sure about D4 price now, but I reserve remaining D4 for the rear differential on MDX, it was originally spec for Honda ATF-Z1 .

I like Valvoline maxlife.

But between those 2 use which ever is cheaper. Doing a drain/fill every 30k with any decent/good fluid is more important than the difference of fluids IMO.

You could also use Redline D6

Honda retroactively specs their newer DW1 on all Honda automatic transmissions, DW1 came out in 2011, but it backwards-compatible with the older Z1, which Honda no longer sells.

But my choice would be Castrol Full Synthetic ATF. It often goes on sale for $5/qt at the major parts stores but is not on sale right now. Maxlife is also a good ATF and very popular on here, and can be had for less than $20 a gallon at Walmart.

Honda DW-1 or ATF TYPE H PLUS

Engineered for and meets the requirements of Honda Automatic Transmission with DW-1 and Z-1 specifications

Idemitsu is the only global authorized supplier for DW-1 transmission fluids
Engineered to provide enhanced fuel economy and superior low-temperature flow properties
Precisely engineered frictional characteristics guarantee smooth shifting and outstanding anti-shudder performance
Excellent resistance to oxidation and thermal breakdown provides long fluid life and extended protection
Provides superior cleanliness, keeping the transmission free of sludge and varnish deposits
Advanced anti-wear technology provides maximum protection to gears and bearings
Excellent seal compatibility and conditioning reduces risk of fluid leaks due to seal shrinkage, hardening and cracking
Available in 1-quart container
- 5-quart container coming soon

Chemical/Physical Properties
Test Unit Method Typical Results
Appearance - Visual Red Clear Liquid
Density @ 15°C g/cm3 ASTM D4052 0.8490
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C cSt ASTM D445 25.23
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C cSt ASTM D445 6.91
Viscosity Index - ASTM D2270 258
Pour Point °C ASTM D5949 -49.0
Brookfield Viscosity @ -40°C cP ASTM D2983 5,800
Copper Strip Corrosion, 3hr °C ASTM D130 1(1b)

I have used the Honda fluids mainly, as well as Maxlife.
I recently used the Idemitsu DW-1 equivalent in wifey's 2006 TSX with almost 190K miles.
It pulls better, especially off the line and around town driving.
Good stuff.

I just did a drain/fill on my Accord with DW1. It shifts so smooth that you can't feel the shifts. Is the DW1 thing an urban legend or is it really the best for Hondas?

I haven't used Redline in a Honda application but other Asian applications it has worked well. I have used Amsoil in my in-laws Honda's, I personally like the more "crisp" shifting it provides in these applications like T-Critic mentioned above. More positive engagements (to a point) are a good thing over sloppier smoother shifts in terms of longevity.

Last edited:
OP asked about "Redline D4 or Honda atf", not Amsoil, etc.

I've used Redline D4 in my bought new by me 2010 Honda Element. I change it every 20k miles. Vehicle has 180k miles on it now and the transmission shifts perfectly (in fact, everything works perfectly - it's the most trouble free vehicle I've ever owned). Also too, I change the filter every 60k. The trans filter is really small.

Scott

Last edited:
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
You could also use Redline D6

Honda retroactively specs their newer DW1 on all Honda automatic transmissions, DW1 came out in 2011, but it backwards-compatible with the older Z1, which Honda no longer sells.

But my choice would be Castrol Full Synthetic ATF. It often goes on sale for $5/qt at the major parts stores but is not on sale right now. Maxlife is also a good ATF and very popular on here, and can be had for less than $20 a gallon at Walmart.

I spoke with Dave at redline the difference is d6 and dw1 is it lighter weight viscosity and he recommended staying with what was originally spec. I believe I am going to try the D4

Im with you .. I like the Idemitsu Type H Plus DW-1 / Z1..
There is Type H and Type H Plus.. All plus means is its both DW-1 and Z-1..

I would never put max life or anything else unless its DW-1 only.. Like ASIN DW-1 or Honda or Idemitsu..
Stick with that and you all will be better off imo

Some have filters... I know some 2003s do if they have a 4 cylinder.. Now the v6 most dont but you can easily add a magefine atf filter in there as i did..
took all of 20 minutes.

[Linked Image]

The 06 and up 4 shaft transmissions have a filter, the problem is, Honda put it BEHIND the torque converter. I guess they figured that they fixed the weaknesses of the 3 shaft, they might as well make sure that there's something else that can fail/plug up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back