LCD TV - fix or replace

Status
Not open for further replies.
TVs are not like the old tube TV of the past where they lasted forever. However, thinking back the Tube TVs effectively lasted the same time as TVs of today.

When i was a kid (10) a 13" B/W was the kids standard for the Atari game. Rabbit ears antenna and UHF hoop. By the time I was in college (8 years later), I picked up a used 19" color Goldstar for a song. (~ $50) and the 13" B/W left to collect dust. Turned it on for nastalgas sake only.

Kept that goldstar through school until a few years into my first job (7 years) and I had to put channel locks on the knob to apply enough torque to keep the picture clear.
smile.gif

Retured that TV and got a 32" sony heavy a$$ CRT TV. Enjoyed that for a about 8 years before the analog signals went bye-bye and ended up upgrading to a 42" plasma. Then updated to a 58" plasma. Thats my setup today and I'm waiting or them to die so I can get 4K. They still look good by themselves but I get TV envy when I watch a game at my friends house with 4K and and a good source.

As technology advanced, TVs got less and less attractive. Even thought those old TVs lasted 20 years, the technology advances are making tvs "effectively" obsolete every 8 years or so. I say effectively since the costs are down so far it makes it easier to pull the trigger and upgrade. I just cant bare to part with my plasmas especially since they are essentially worthless nowadays on the after market. my $3000 2008 58" panny model only fetches about $150 on ebay and craigslist.
frown.gif

Throw it away and just buy a cheap replacement.

Just know that TVs these days are really thin, and they put little tiny crappy speakers in them, so I'd highly recommend getting at least a sound bar or something to supplement the sound.

And if you can go bigger, do it. Sometimes you can find a screaming deal on a TV that's just barely more for a lot more screen size.

Although it's usually just capacitors that go repairing them today is a royal PITA and they are so cheap I would just buy another.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by Onetor
Replace with LED. Also, Walmart etc have TV's with lower processors. Amazon and Bestbuy and other Tier 1 big box stores have the high speed electronics. If that matters to you. Although you pay $$$ for it.

Quit spreading that lame, old story. No different than (since it's posted at this site) Walmart sells lesser quality Mobil 1, Castrol, Valvoline, etc and that's why they're lower cost than anywhere else.

A TV manufacturer might have multiple "lines" of TVs and Walmart may sell the lower-end and mid-range while a Best Buy and so on only sell the mid-range and higher but there's nothing shady about that. Some people only shop on price, so let them....

I have seen PROOF of lower quality components and smaller (or missing altogether) heatsinks, etc.

Walmart can sell their special model for $10 less - - because they pay less for them... an inferior product built "more cheaply" for a very good reason. And in batches of 10,000 at a time, too.

I was recently on the same boat. 47in LG LED TV took its own life. Well no picture but sound. Googled around and most likely needed replacement LED that would run $75-125 on ebay in parts. I took back cover off and didn't see anything wrong but i didn't feel like opening the screen part.

I just grabed a new 50in 4k samsung for $350.

Old TV is sitting in the basement, not sure what i want but most likely its out to the trash soon.

Replace. There are many deals on tv's now and even more near super bowl time. Go and watch all of them on display. Look for the sets which produce the purest white and choose among those which meet your needs..

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bcossa2001
I have a 32 inch Sharp Aquos LCD TV that started smelling like " burnt electronics" and died. I took it apart to see if I could find anything obviously broken/burned but no luck. It's about 10 years old. Any insight on repair or replace?? I have little knowledge or experience in TV repair.

Replace the TV = cost $100.
TV prices, click.

Last edited:
I can confirm Linctex's comment about walmart getting a "cost optomized" version of a tv. Same panny tv had three model numbers. Outward tv abd feature set were exactly the same, Except.... the hugh end plasma tv had fans and heatsinks, the middle tv had no fans but heatsinks, The walmart tv had no heatsinks.

The only place i could find the walmart model was walmart. Even with the heatsink these parts were uncomfortably warm to the touch. About 3 seconds until "ouch" on the pinky test. I imagine the chips by themselves were very hot and would obviously not last as long,

You can get one probably for about $99 on sale new.

Finding someone willing to repair it, shipping it, buying parts on digikey, and taking a risk of blowing it up, down time, etc will cost way more than that combined.

If you want to be cheap get a used one on craigslist, you can probably bargain and get one for $30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by marine65
Originally Posted by Rand
Originally Posted by Onetor
Replace with LED. Also, Walmart etc have TV's with lower processors. Amazon and Bestbuy and other Tier 1 big box stores have the high speed electronics. If that matters to you. Although you pay $$$ for it.

Remember commercial goods are manufactured with a planned expiration. Not made to last like American ingenuity from the post WW2 era. We have a disposable economy. I asked a repair person (25 year experience) about fixing a 5 year Samsung Front Loader. He stated that it was cheaper to replace, due to electronics. He was an independent repair person, not factory.

If you buy the same model its the same TV? or what were you trying to say there?

Walmart T.V.'s are cheapened up.
They may look like the same as at Best Buy but you will notice a slightly different model number.
Instead of 12345678A the Walmart will be 12345678AB. Or a variation of.
Very subtle but there.

The differences are usually the number of HDMI ports.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
I can confirm Linctex's comment about walmart getting a "cost optomized" version of a tv. Same panny tv had three model numbers. Outward tv abd feature set were exactly the same, Except.... the hugh end plasma tv had fans and heatsinks, the middle tv had no fans but heatsinks, The walmart tv had no heatsinks.

The only place i could find the walmart model was walmart. Even with the heatsink these parts were uncomfortably warm to the touch. About 3 seconds until "ouch" on the pinky test. I imagine the chips by themselves were very hot and would obviously not last as long,

Sounds like you used a very scientific method for measuring heat . Get back to us when you shoot it with an IR gun.

I have a 55" Walmart special from about a year. The grand kids come over and watch it. It's been a year and it's fine. As a matter of fact-if I get two years out of it I wouldn't care because it was so cheap.

Why do guys who change their own oil think they are electronic experts.......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back