Mystik JT8 15w50 - 14 Road King 103 H/O

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought this would be my worst UOA and turns out the best.
About 70% interstate, recording the longest run of hot oil temps ever. Wasnt uncommon to be in the 250 to 265 range. Temps are hottest on the interstate @ 80 MPH (gps) and stuck in traffic.

Typical summer riding, 1 week up in the mountains, 2 up, packed with luggage, Maggie Valley, Tail of the Dragon, Maryville TN, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg.
Then on the flip side, many day trips to the beach. 2 hours each way on 80 MPH interstate, scorching hot riding in beach traffic I felt I cooked the oil the most ever, but, of course, it didnt matter.
I DO have a Lenale engine fan for the stuck in traffic part and it does stabilize the oil temp, though I only use it as a last resort as it cooks your leg, after oil, the heat has to go someplace.

Only other thing was the different oil filter this time, used a non HD filter for the first time, brand was a HiFlo and posted in the oil filter section.

CCI11202018_00002.jpg

Last edited:
Nice to see! Mystik JT8 15w-50 and M1 15w-50 have been my oils of choice in my 2009 103" (medium built) for many years. HiFlo filters have also been my filters of choice for both H-D/metric. Thx

Last edited:
Originally Posted by troop
Nice to see! Mystik JT8 15w-50 and M1 15w-50 have been my oils of choice in my 2009 103" (medium built) for many years. HiFlo filters have also been my filters of choice for both H-D/metric. Thx

Thanks everyone.
My only complaint about the high flow filter is it's a tiny bit longer and I have a sensor which I think maybe a crank position sensor that makes it a pain in the neck to get the high-flow filter on and off using the Harley filter wrench.

I think the Harley filter at its cost isn't such a bad deal because the media does look quite robust versus the High Flow. Which was posted by Duck Rider.

I do have another high-flow filter on it because I bought a two pack and I will know more this winter as my bike always had on colder days a very very slight tick when first started up for a minute or two with the Harley filter, with the high-flow I listen for it and I did not hear it but I can't confirm it's because the filter yet I will know for sure in this cool weather. I'm pretty sure the tick is so slight that most people wouldn't hear it or think anything of it and I don't either but it is there on cold days mostly and I haven't heard it.

The high-flow filter certainly is well made but it's definitely more of a paper type filter versus the Harley not sure if that makes any difference it certainly didn't in the UOA.
So I'm unsure of the next filter only because the pain in the neck it is using the filter wrench with the high-flow.

Last edited:
K+N brands some Hi-Flo filters + of course like HD increases the $$$$

I've been using the HiFlo HF171B RC for years. It has the handy tacked on nut for easy removal. Hmmmm..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Racing-Oil-Filters-For-V-Twin-Black-HF171BRC/292783283232?epid=202948582&hash=item442b3e5c20:g:7Y8AAOSwH2VbzikU:rk:1:pf:0

Last edited:
Troop _

Hmmm ... good price on those filters Troop. Interesting.
I was never a fan of that "nut" and NEVER ever a fan of K+N filters of any type, to me, K+N is just another "snake oil" marketing company selling products at huge mark-ups and most of the products are subcontracted out and most likely their oil filters are made by HiFlo. In the auto market, to me, some K+N products are far worse then standard autopart products, such as their reuseable Hi- Performance air filters, what a joke, well not really as long as you want dirt to run through your engine, But people pay and believe.

So, at this price, I can justify to whether I keep using the Hi-Flo filters or not, good post, thanks, something to think about.

Benjy_

Well what I wrote about tells you what I think about K+N,
But as far as the Harley filter, DuckRider posted an HD filter cut open in the Filters Section (used and new) it definitely is a nice robust filter which then makes it look more well priced coming from a dealer.
At least, even though the HD filter is more expensive, its not that much more expensive then a normal aftermarket filter yet the HD filter clearly has something good going on inside of it for those who wish to pay a little more.

Last edited:
Someday shortly I am going to rescan the UOA, dont know why but BITOG trips me up trying to post these images and I am pretty good with computers.

$7/shipped without the nut
smile.gif

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oil-Filters-for-V-Twin-Black-HF171B/302930200329?epid=171220138&hash=item46880c0709:g:Jt8AAOSwUVhbzikb:rk:1:pf:0

I currently have Mystik 15W-50 in my Road Glide. I had used it in my Roadstar years ago (wet clutch application) with no issues. As far as the Hi-Flo filters, I have used them for years on various bikes and ATVs and never had any problems (that I know of). I'm still using Harley filters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JetStar
I currently have Mystik 15W-50 in my Road Glide. I had used it in my Roadstar years ago (wet clutch application) with no issues.

and here I thought I was the ground breaker in BITOG using Mystik JT8 4 years ago in my at the time new 2014 Road King. I was NERVOUS back then using an unknown oil, until I learned that a major oil company makes it (Citgo) AND also makes Harley Oil.
Im not brand loyal to anything but this oil works so well for me that 4 years later I dont ever see myself switching.
and of course, over and over what I consider fantastic UOA results. :eek:)

and ... then of course (again) not many 50 weight HDEO "C" API rated oil made/sold in the USA (unlike the rest of the world) except from boutique companies like Amsoil and maybe Redline at 400% higher price then the Mystik. Actaully I trust Mystik more the then others. :eek:)

Last edited:
2-0-9-8 on the wear metals . . . these have to be the best results to date on the Mystik 15W-50! And running with 265f oil temps shows it's a great performing oil. I use it in my 2013 Street Bob and get excellent results. I run it in my transmission and primary also so it ends up being a great one oil solution. With this performance and being able to purchase 8 quarts for $25 is the definition of a superb value in motor oil.

Originally Posted by Bellavita
2-0-9-8 on the wear metals . . . these have to be the best results to date on the Mystik 15W-50! And running with 265f oil temps shows it's a great performing oil. I use it in my 2013 Street Bob and get excellent results. I run it in my transmission and primary also so it ends up being a great one oil solution. With this performance and being able to purchase 8 quarts for $25 is the definition of a superb value in motor oil.

I have more then once thought about and have been tempted to use the Mystik in the Primary and Transmission as we all know you can use motor oil in them.
I guess for no particular reason, so far I have stuck with the Formula + as far as that goes.

I had so much of it and it performs well. Years ago when I ordered it, I ordered 2 - 2 gallon containers but they delivered 4- 2 gallon containers, 8 gallons of oil is a lot to go through in a motorcycle!
I am almsot all finished with it, I figure I will run out within 2 years. I DO see myself ordering more once I am out of it, very happy with the way the engine "sounds" using it.

Full disclosure, 265 isnt a common oil temperature, that is the extreme on rare occasions of beach traffic or super hot days interstate/traffic. Its usually around the 260 degree mark that I turn on the Lenale engine fan if stuck in traffic. The engine fan definitely stabilizes the temps and SLOWLY brings it down a degree or two or 3.

250+ is common on any day where its around and above 95 degrees interstate or traffic. When I say interstate, we are talking 2-up (most times) and 80 MPH.

Last edited:
I have used the Mystik in my primary, but not the tranny. Since my compensator replacement last year, I use primary specific fluid now. Why? Dunno ....

Originally Posted by troop
I have used the Mystik in my primary, but not the tranny. Since my compensator replacement last year, I use primary specific fluid now. Why? Dunno ....

Yeah,
I pretty much follow the owners manual when it comes to oil and to me, so far the Formula + I think is the best choice in the transmission.

At the same time HD does also state 20/50 motor oil. So I have been tempted, for fun, to see if I feel anything better or worse with the Mystik in all 3 holes.

So far, I only use Mystik in the engine and will most likely continue on using Formula+ in the trans and primary as it seems to be a specific oil for the function of a transmission ... and I like that! Motor oil in the engine (Mystik), transmission oil (Formula+) in the transmission!

Most likely splitting hairs and we all do what makes us happy.

Last edited:
Correct me if this is incorrect... The Harley transmission is not mechanically different with different one needs than a Yamaha, Kawasaki, etc v twin cruiser with a shared sump. Harley simply separates it from the crank case.

Engine oil lubes the tranny with the shared sump, engines and trannies go a long ways on that. Engine oil should work great, as Harley does name 20w50 oil as fine to use. Harley finds a way to make a few more $$ with the separate holes if you get their fluid in my estimation. Not a bad thing, it's how companies make money. Especially when the dealer does the service and can charge for it that way as well.

IMO, plays on the owners feeling a tranny will have less longevity, etc, by not running transmission oil because it somehow must be better because it is different than other bikes use.

Ran JT8 15w-50 in my shared sump ZRX1200, did fine other than that was the OCI the #3 piston decided to break an oil ring. Gave me a great reason to upgrade to higher compression pistons with a new used block from eBay.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bonz
Correct me if this is incorrect... The Harley transmission is not mechanically different with different one needs than a Yamaha, Kawasaki, etc v twin cruiser with a shared sump. Harley simply separates it from the crank case.

Engine oil lubes the tranny with the shared sump, engines and trannies go a long ways on that. Engine oil should work great, as Harley does name 20w50 oil as fine to use. Harley finds a way to make a few more $$ with the separate holes if you get their fluid in my estimation. Not a bad thing, it's how companies make money. Especially when the dealer does the service and can charge for it that way as well.

IMO, plays on the owners feeling a tranny will have less longevity, etc, by not running transmission oil because it somehow must be better because it is different than other bikes use.

Ran JT8 15w-50 in my shared sump ZRX1200, did fine other than that was the OCI the #3 piston decided to break an oil ring. Gave me a great reason to upgrade to higher compression pistons with a new used block from eBay.

Huh?
Wow, are you jaded against certain brands of motor vehicles (cars boats and bikes) with as much skepticism?
Your post says so.

Harley Davidson uses 3 holes because of superior design (as far as they are concerned) not to sell you an extra quart of oil if you even use their brand of oil!

You cant honestly believe they have separate engine oil sump, transmission sump and primary sump to;

1. sell you an extra quart of oil every 20,000 miles (TWENTY THOUSAND MILES) when the transmission oil is due to be changed.

2. Sell you and extra quart of oil to change the primary oil every 10,000 miles (TEN THOUSAND MILES)

Having a separate sump design is a far superior design and no respectable automobile or truck shares engine oil and transmission oil.
Just simple logic.
Sharing engine oil with transmission/primary is a cost saving design compromise. I know, I have owned a Suzuki and Yamaha, and there is no question how shifting goes south after about 2500 miles.

You wont have that in a Harley. Do you think any respectable manual transmission automobile, shares its engine oil with the transmission?
If they did, they would be laughed out of the auto marketplace!

Other bikes like Harley you have to change more oil with every oil change, so are you going to say a bike like Indian in which you have to change more oil per change is to sell more engine oil?
No, of course not.

Last edited:
Here is your quote about oil filters from earlier on the first page. I am making the same general point about Harley tranny fluid from the dealer. Over priced and people pay and believe.

"Hmmm ... good price on those filters Troop. Interesting.
I was never a fan of that "nut" and NEVER ever a fan of K+N filters of any type, to me, K+N is just another "snake oil" marketing company selling products at huge mark-ups and most of the products are subcontracted out and most likely their oil filters are made by HiFlo. In the auto market, to me, some K+N products are far worse then standard autopart products, such as their reuseable Hi- Performance air filters, what a joke, well not really as long as you want dirt to run through your engine, But people pay and believe."

Jaded? Is that me or you?

Originally Posted by Bonz
Here is your quote about oil filters from earlier on the first page. I am making the same general point about Harley tranny fluid from the dealer. Over priced and people pay and believe.

"Hmmm ... good price on those filters Troop. Interesting.
I was never a fan of that "nut" and NEVER ever a fan of K+N filters of any type, to me, K+N is just another "snake oil" marketing company selling products at huge mark-ups and most of the products are subcontracted out and most likely their oil filters are made by HiFlo. In the auto market, to me, some K+N products are far worse then standard autopart products, such as their reuseable Hi- Performance air filters, what a joke, well not really as long as you want dirt to run through your engine, But people pay and believe."

Jaded? Is that me or you?

Its you and im not going to discuss air/oil fitlers as it has nothing to do with what you posted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back