Kia 2.0T and 2.4L engine safety recall (SC147)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Get this in writing"

Yes, I did. The recall letter that went out (Section 14 I think it was) from last year states that it is unlimited miles, 15 years. A new Product Update letter that came recently says that if I allow them to update the ECU (turns the knock sensor into a way to detect the rod knock and put the car in limp mode for safety reasons) it updates the warranty to unlimited time along with unlimited miles. On the dealership computer screen, it states that the new motor will have that same unlimited miles/unlimited time warranty (I asked about it). I WILL get that printed out for my files.

IMG_20181121_163621.jpg

Last edited:
FWIW: I dropped by the dealership today to check on my replacement engine progress - it's done! They are keeping it a day or two to put some miles on it and test it which I'm fine with. Anyway, I located my old engine (ready to be sent back to Kia for "reconditioning") and took some pictures of my intake valves (cylinders #3 and #4) to see what was the cumulative effect at 76K miles of the carbon crap on them.

Keep in mind that I've only run synthetic oil since day one (0W-40), keep my OCI to around 4K miles, have excellent PCV and intake OCCs installed (that work well) and have run only top tier fuel (93 octane) for several years.

Summary: I was in need of getting the walnut blaster/air compressor/tools to careful clean this hardened crap off the valves and from the intake runners. Now with a new engine, that won't be needed for several years yet (the the rate I drive this car). SWEET!

So, it is a real problem on these GDI engines, even for well maintained ones and you should consider inspecting/cleaning them for best performance/MPGs.

IMG_20181206_103040.jpg

Last edited:
Today I picked up my car with the new engine (at 76,552 miles) under recall SC147!

As promised, the Kia tech moved over all my engine mods (minus the HKS M40XL plugs, I was going to replace them soon as I had over 20K miles on them). On the drive home, when I got into it a little bit, I heard a loud boost leak. Upon inspection, they totally forgot to tighten one clamp (located top of the inter-cooler) and it popped off. No biggie. A thorough inspection by me leads me to believe they did a pretty good job and I'm pleased! Time will tell!

The other updates I did besides the mandatory Kia ECU update (which gives me now unlimited miles/unlimited time on the new engine) is the turbo oil line (SA300), the ACU wiring extension (SC165) and a new serpentine belt (replacing the original belt after 6.5 years). Including the free rental car (2019 Optima LX) for 11 days, I paid a total of $71.49 ($50.93 for the belt, $20.56 for gas in the rental car). Not too bad!!

We have a 2014 Tuscon with the same engine (2.4L Theta II) and I think they have recalled either Sonata or the Santa fe (or both?) with the same engine but not the Tuscon .... I was told because there are not many Tuscons with the bigger (2.4L) engines. Most have the smaller engines.
Also have read that only cars made in the Georgia plant have the problem and it is due to metal shavings ... but that should create the problem much sooner than 50 or 60K miles! Not sure what to believe!

At what millage have you guys been having the issues (knocking, etc.)?
I see that you are at 76K miles. I'm getting pretty close ... almost 71K miles
shocked2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back