Good 5w-40 oil for an mk7 gti running upgraded turbo (400+hp)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I've been trying to get a grip on what kind of oil is sufficient to run in my mk7 gti, which is getting an upgraded aftermarket turbo and pushing close to double the factory horsepower. I read up on Group IV/V oils and III+ Oils.

A lot of people were recommending Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40, which is derived from natural gas and is better than other Group III Oils, but the cheapest I could find was $45/6 qts which is probably not the best I could do for that price.

Others were saying to run Mobil 1 0w-40, but I saw that the formula changed a couple years ago and it isn't as good as it used to be.

Some were saying liquimoly but unfortunately it looks like you can't get Synthoil High tech anywhere in the US, which was a group IV oil for the German market, now its Synthoil premium which allegedly is a group III because its for the US Market and the loopholes in wording.

I rather not run Motul or redline, but honestly if thats the best option i'd be ok with shelling a lot more if it meant that the safety of my engine was a lot more assured.

I want to be careful with my choice in oil considering its going to be at a much much higher strain on everything, oil included. I am sketched out about Mobil 1 because of its low sheer stability, I probably will be changing every ~6k because I commute 100 miles a day, but I don't baby the engine when its warmed up.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.

I'd hate to have to run a boutique in a DD commuter. I'd probably run Edge 0W40 and get some UOAs done. I know that Edge 0W40 is a different formulation that 5W40 and considerably more stout. You might have to step up to a HDEO like T6 or Delvac 1 for a decent 5W40 if you are concerned about sheer stability.

You have the need for a UOA and the ability to rack up miles to try different oils. That's what I would do.

Platinum Euro 5w40. "Exceeds Maserati"
laugh.gif

BA65CBA4-D573-4F75-9A0D-F5DE649D1FCD.jpeg

B6938644-37A5-438A-9372-0A968187B483.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by maxdustington
I'd hate to have to run a boutique in a DD commuter. I'd probably run Edge 0W40 and get some UOAs done. I know that Edge 0W40 is a different formulation that 5W40 and considerably more stout. You might have to step up to a HDEO like T6 or Delvac 1 for a decent 5W40 if you are concerned about sheer stability.

You have the need for a UOA and the ability to rack up miles to try different oils. That's what I would do.

Right, such is life lol. My decisions catching up to me hahaha

I have heard of Edge 0W40 being a bit better, as well as german castrol. I would like to do an UOA from blackstone ideally, but I also am concerned about switching oils because previous owner ran edge 5w-40 for 30k miles, and i've heard some stories of excess wear when switching oils, especially more than once due to the interactions of the ingredients. Definitely will take your advice into account, thanks.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Mobil Delvac 1 5w40

Wow, i've never seen this oil before

Last edited:
Ravenol makes many different oils for your GTI. Basic VW 502/504/505 in 5w30, 5w40, 0w40 and extreme stuff like 5w50 & 10w60. Most are PAO group IV and V blends.

https://www.blauparts.com/shop-part...olf-2018-2-0l-16v-gas-t-l4-41220&p=2

Also Rowe Hitech synth RS 0w40 has impressive specs. Seen some great UOAs with it. PAO/Ester blend.

And the Amsoil full Saps European formula 0w40 also is impressive. Haven't seen any UOAs with it yet but looks good on paper.

Other options:

Redline 5w40

Renewable Lubricants 5w40 and 15w40.

Redline 10w40. Their 0w40 isn't as shear resistant as M1 0w40 FS. Their 5w40 is slightly better. But the 10w40 is bulletproof.

I always find these little tidbits interesting:

...."but the cheapest I could find was $45/6 qts " ....

hopped up mk7 GTI....a very generous maximum of 30mpg
500 mile weekly commute with 16.7 gal of gas used
$50 per week (@ $3/gal)

~ $500 on fuel in 5000 miles (50 days) ...(using default old school OCI due to mods)

...on the only thing keeping "...my mk7 gti, which is getting an upgraded aftermarket turbo and pushing close to double the factory horsepower" engine from grenading, is a quality engine oil, (which you readily recognize)

Now, that...$45....$65...even $75 per oil change seems.....

Originally Posted by Smokescreen
I always find these little tidbits interesting:

...."but the cheapest I could find was $45/6 qts " ....

hopped up mk7 GTI....a very generous maximum of 30mpg
500 mile weekly commute with 16.7 gal of gas used
$50 per week (@ $3/gal)

~ $500 on fuel in 5000 miles (50 days) ...(using default old school OCI due to mods)

...on the only thing keeping "...my mk7 gti, which is getting an upgraded aftermarket turbo and pushing close to double the factory horsepower" engine from grenading, is a quality engine oil, (which you readily recognize)

Now, that...$45....$65...even $75 per oil change seems.....

Hahaha fair. I commute 3 days a week so its really 300. But at the same time I was referencing that I could get the Pennzoil Plat Euro online, but I felt that for $45 I probably could get a better oil. I'd rather not overpay when there's better options I could shell several dollars out for and get something better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back