swapping on snow tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use whatever grease I have laying around. My summer rims were stuck on (just once until I learned to grease them)

I used to use anti-seize but its so messy I started spraying mine with boeshield t-9 and let it dry.
works decent nothing gets stuck on.. and no mess.

The point was I was going to send the wheel centering rings pre-greased so the tire tech could not forget. And something that would not [censored] off the tire tech too much when he gets some on his hands.

Originally Posted by Donald
I have asked my daughter.... She is 30.

I could swap the tires myself, but daughter needs to take some responsibility for the car she drives.

Good for you. At 30, she should be handling all maintenance aspects of vehicle - and it should be her own. You're a good father for taking care of her, but if she doesn't learn to manage this herself she will be in a bad way later on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by HangFire

Why on Earth does a Forester have SUMMER tires? Who made THAT decision?

Why on Earth would somebody make a post like THAT unless they were intoxicated?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Donald
I have asked my daughter to bring the Forester to a tire place and have the 4 winter rims/snow swapped for the summer ones.

That's been one of my major pet peeves with Subaru for years now. They come with such horrible low rolling resistance "all seasons" from the factory, that even with Subarus AWD system, they're horrible in winter conditions. A lot of this is just a function of the stiff, no sidewall tires on large diameter wheels people think they want on these vehicles. If dealers were smart, they'd offer a winter wheel/tire/TPMS package to go along with the vehicle purchase. Offer "free" changeovers.

In regard to the "Kid" thing? I've got nieces and nephews in their mid/late 20s where their parents still pay for their cars, car insurance and cell phones. I'd like to be able to help with those things with my 4 kids when they're in their 20s, but it won't be financially possible.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

Probably because he said he had summer tires. Summer tires are a thing. Look it up.

Probably because he said he had summer tires. Summer tires are a thing. Look it up.

I haven't had pure summer tires on my Forester yet, but I did have a set on my RAV4 V6, which was a very similar vehicle in many ways.
The tires were great fun but they were shot after two summers...although I have to admit that I have done the same thing to some all seasons.
Why the outrage over having summer tires on a Forester? Are you saying it's not possible to enjoy performance oriented tires on such a vehicle?
And, what's with the attitude???

Last edited:
If one is willing to accept summer tires shortcoming (tread life, cold weather performance, usually price) even the worst car can benefit from them.

KrzyÅ›

Why the outrage over having summer tires on a Forester? Are you saying it's not possible to enjoy performance oriented tires on such a vehicle?
And, what's with the attitude???

The bafflement on my side was not running summer tires on any kind of vehicle, but the idea that someone decided to put summer tires on a vehicle otherwise known for good snow handling, then put it on someone else to do the necessary seasonal tire change. The possible consequences are high for a non-technical person thinking "it's an AWD Forester it'll be OK" which is a real possibility. If that was the case, it would have been setting someone up for a fall, and maybe blaming them for their own bad decision making.

Which was not the case. Fortunately it was just bad use of terminology. I would expect more from a BITOG'er. Summer tires are a real thing. Don't call All Seasons Summer tires, or vice-versa. It's not just poor tire description, it's downright wrong.

No attitude about summer tires themselves, run whatever you want to run, just take responsibility for your decision come the cold, and don't push the work off on others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back