dealers license plate frame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by raaizin
My daughter was pulled over today for having a dealers license plate frame on her car 2017nJetta. The kind that are on millions of cars. When she asked why she was pulled over the police officer said for the frame. I have never heard of this. I have heard of cops writing these kind of tickets when a more serious infraction occurred to give the person a "break" but this is the reason she was pulled over. She is in NJ car registered at my house also in NJ in about 50 miles away. He also questioned why her license isnt at school. She is a full time college student who rent an apartment during the schoolyear. Debating if I should fight it.

He should have issued a warning to remove it. I got cited for "lightly" tinted windows. Much lighter than millions out there. I had to remove all tinting (trashed my rear window defogger), take before and after pictures, take a half day off from work to show a judge it was removed. Just pay it, it not worth the time to fight unless you want to experience the wheels of justice(and waste) at work.

Last edited:
Yes she got a ticket for $50. The reason why she was pulled over was for the frame not any other reason I have no reason to believe otherwise (Honors Student getting Masters Degree who has confided worse things than getting pulled over by some Barney Fife ) Probably wrong thing to say but I am a little [censored]. I think he saw a fairly new car and targeted it since he figured she had the $$ and wanted to write a ticket. Car in picture is not hers it was just to show the frame. I will pay the ticket and told her to have someone take the frame off. Otherwise next time I visit I will.
Thanks for updating and clarifying. I understood that it was for the frame and the pic just an example, not the specific plate. Really the frame coverage shown looks minimal to my eye. But heaven knows, one should never cover any part of the '"Garden State" ID at the bottom. LOL. I'm sure the officer stopped her because he couldn't recognize it was a Jersey tag.....Not.

As noted, in this case a warning would have more than sufficed. But after the stop, and the irrelevant inquisition about license address producing revenue was paramount. I suppose you can chalk it up to experience, in this case a $50 one. Still smh.

This is absolutely ridiculous. My squad would have shamed me into retirement if i brought this in at the end of my shift. Legal or not.

Maybe funding...

Just saw on the news this morning one of the local police departments are being questioned on why they spent $34k just to make a lip sync video.
Singing and dancing in front of the police department, group of motorcycle cops riding down the road lip sync singing etc.
I can't see see how a lip sync song & dance can cost $34k - no wonder why the department is being questioned spending that kind of money and for a song & dance that to me is no service to the public. They better hurry and up the ticket quota to cover the funds.

Last edited:
Florida allows for nothing obstructing the plate at all. I don't seem to get any hassle over my PBA shield, though.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by SeaJay
FWIW, clear plexi-glass license plate covers are also illegal in New York. No coverings allowed.

They're pretty much illegal everywhere-nothing covering or obstructing any part of the plate, even if clear/transparent, etc.

Places sell those films, sprays and the like they say will defeat traffic&speed cameras (they don't) which is why most places decided to just ban them all regardless.

Yes she got a ticket for $50. The reason why she was pulled over was for the frame not any other reason I have no reason to believe otherwise (Honors Student getting Masters Degree who has confided worse things than getting pulled over by some Barney Fife ) Probably wrong thing to say but I am a little [censored].

Neither you nor her know his intent for pulling her over. She may have (inadvertently) driven through a part of town with drug activity, he may have seen her weave slightly and he suspected driving under the influence, and so on. After pulling her over, he could have determined that there were no drugs, she wasn't under the influence of anything, etc, etc and could let her go free and clear or cite for breaking a law. In the end, that's what he did - the vehicle she was driving had a violation of NJ law.

He didn't write the law so comments about the officer are unwarranted. People here want the police to pick and choose what laws they enforce ? "They already do", people will say but when it's personal, people all of a sudden care much more. Something or yours stolen, someone assaults you - you won't accept the police ignoring those, huh ?

Do yourself a favor and remove the plate frame on every car you own. No reason to give them an excuse to pull you over.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Yes she got a ticket for $50. The reason why she was pulled over was for the frame not any other reason I have no reason to believe otherwise (Honors Student getting Masters Degree who has confided worse things than getting pulled over by some Barney Fife ) Probably wrong thing to say but I am a little [censored].

Neither you nor her know his intent for pulling her over. She may have (inadvertently) driven through a part of town with drug activity, he may have seen her weave slightly and he suspected driving under the influence, and so on. After pulling her over, he could have determined that there were no drugs, she wasn't under the influence of anything, etc, etc and could let her go free and clear or cite for breaking a law. In the end, that's what he did - the vehicle she was driving had a violation of NJ law.

He didn't write the law so comments about the officer are unwarranted. People here want the police to pick and choose what laws they enforce ? "They already do", people will say but when it's personal, people all of a sudden care much more. Something or yours stolen, someone assaults you - you won't accept the police ignoring those, huh ?

You are giving the cop to much credit. I used to have alot of respect for them but after being on this planet a few years I treat them with the same distrust I would any other stranger.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hallstevenson

I was waiting for some common sense in this thread. It took 5 pages!

The law is absolutely ridiculous. It is the same in just about every state...obscure the plate blah blah same here in Washington. Not the officers fault. Well let me say he could have just mentioned it and moved on.
Seems a bit over zealous to me, but I wasn't there.

The law should be written obscure the tag number. The frame doesn't obscure the information at least one that size.

Here is the frame I have had on every Z28/Trans Am I have owned.

[Linked Image]

Never had an issue, even when I got pulled over on a Sunday morning leaving a big patch of rubber back in 1999 in my 1998 Z28 Cop loved it and one time in the 2001 Z28 that was much much worse. I should have gotten a big ticket, but cop laughed at the frame and wrote me for 70 in 60 when I was going lets just say I stopped and waited awhile for him to catch up. I was young and stupid. Never did that again.

I don't know your daughters situation, but my wife has more tickets than I do. I have 3 speeding tickets in 28 years of driving. I won't lie I should have more I USED to have a heavy foot, but I have always been respectful, honest and don't argue. The kids and towing the trailer have mellowed me out. l rarely speed anymore and if I do I am going at most 5 over.

Having said all that....
I sat and watched my wife argue with a cop, when he walked away I said "You are getting a ticket" "Why?" She asked "I said your attitude was &*%$" She got one for 8 over in a 60 on a six lane highway while getting passed. I laughed pretty good. Lets just say I am glad I had the trailer after that...
smile.gif
Every time she has been stopped she has gotten a ticket because of her attitude. Seven, Seven tickets and none were ever actually more than 10 over.

After reading this thread I should play the Lotto. The Trans Am is a loud, heavily modified, no front plate having, license plate frame sporting, 117mph 1/4 mile ticket waiting to happen. Never had a problem in this car.
smile.gif

Attitude certainly plays a part - I've had similar experiences, where I've been pulled over for something that should've resulted in a big ticket, or even licence suspension, but by being polite and respectful, I ended up getting away with minor tickets.

Originally Posted by CincyDavid
Good grief, glad I don't live in New Jersey. Maybe your daughter's cute and the copper wanted to see her up close. I don't run front plates on my cars even though I should in OH...never a peep from the boys in blue.
You're lucky-back in the day they used to enforce all those ticky-tack laws, it was after the riots of 2001 that Cincinnati pretty much stopped enforcing them. A lot of the smaller towns/villages by me that used to write tickets by the boatload have given up their PDs-Arlington Heights, Lincoln Heights, & Silverton to name a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back