Is Outback Steakhouse any good ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Working on the road for 3 years and had a decent per-diem we ate at Outback alot. It varies per location, but is relatively the same. I usually got the prime rib and while it wasn't as good as something I'd make myself, it was pretty decent. Always got the single serving of the blooming onion, and it definitely varied per location. Sometimes the batter and onions were undercooked, sometimes over. To me after eating at Outback, Longhorn, Texas Roadhouse over a dozen times each, they're all the same steaks with different decor.

Advice if you're traveling, look up where you are staying and look up some mom and pop steakhouses in your area. Most times you'll be more satisfied than at a chain. We did that for all restaurants and most times ate better and cheaper!

Originally Posted by Delta

Advice if you're traveling, look up where you are staying and look up some mom and pop steakhouses in your area. Most times you'll be more satisfied than at a chain. We did that for all restaurants and most times ate better and cheaper!

The key to traveling is the Yelp! app. I've found numerous fantastic places I wouldn't have otherwise.

My son requested Outback over the weekend (who's going to go into a five layer discussion about food with a seven year old?) so we went. It was OK. Steaks were $20-$30 so I passed. Experience was as "chain like" as the rest of them. As others have pointed out, there are three or four national brand restaurants that only differ by theme and menu. They're all basically the same.

Today is Walkabout Wednesday where you can get a steak, fries and a beer for $10. You can sub the steak for chicken and the beer for a coke. Seems like a very good deal. Plus tax and tip of course.

maxresdefault.jpg

Originally Posted by 02SE
It's generally better than Sizzler...

There are better (and more expensive) steakhouses to be sure.

I for one think Outback and Sizzler are about equal, my brother loves the latter - I'll just get the AYCE salad bar and be perfectly happy eating from the salad/soup bar and the hot "appetizer" bar.

Last time I stepped foot in an Outback was a year ago for my mom's birthday. Meh. If I want a steak I'll go to Whole Foods and grill it myself.

However, my parents have taken to me to Ruth's Chris when I got my undergrad degree as a celebration and while it was good, I thought it was nothing special.

Now, a small datey place in Chicago near Wrigley Field named Tango Sur makes a steak to drool over. It's an Argentine steak house, BYOB. Datey, but they still served me as a solo traveler.

It seems like all the local Outback Steakhouses have gone out of business. Off the top of my head I can think only of the one in Daly City. As far as chains go, I like the Texas Roadhouse. In the city I like Izzy's Steak&Chops.

Originally Posted by Malo83
Ya, steak the size of a hockey puck
lol.gif

That's the proper portion of meat per serving.
You think they are being cheap, but they are actually doing you a favor

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
lol.gif

Maybe so these days but a real steak will cover a plate and then some.

https://youtu.be/nI_BKLpSFQg

Originally Posted by PimTac
lol.gif

Maybe so these days but a real steak will cover a plate and then some.

https://youtu.be/nI_BKLpSFQg

Bingo!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by vavavroom
It seems like all the local Outback Steakhouses have gone out of business. Off the top of my head I can think only of the one in Daly City. As far as chains go, I like the Texas Roadhouse. In the city I like Izzy's Steak&Chops.

The Pinole and Dublin stores are still around, supposedly there's one in Pleasant Hill tucked away from Contra Costa Blvd, down the street from Sun Valley Mall and DVC next to National University. I know there's a Texas Roadhouse in Fairfield.

There was an Izzy's in Oakland on the corner of Grand and Webster where the old Vo's was but it was a flop(and didn't really "blend" in that part of town with the fancier places popping up). It's now a sports bar.

Last edited:
lol.gif

Agreed. One serving is what fits in the palm of your hand. I always think those giant steaks should come with a discount coupon for a colonoscopy and free cholesterol labs. I love meat but on my plate, no more than one-third of the food is meat. There is one exception. I do go full carnivore on BBQ ribs a couple times a year.

I like the bloomin onion. Otherwise, meh.

Steaks at Texas Roadhouse or lone star are as good and you get peanuts.

I much prefer the charcoal cooked steaks from a local establishment for my money.

Otherwise, fogo de chao, or diy at home...

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by Shannow
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
It's a restaurant chain with an Australian theme. Food-wise, other than their "bloomin' onion" it's no different than any other chain-based restaurant.

Just to clear the air...this chain has nothing to do with Australia...it's not owned by Aussies, the themes aren't Aussie...for e.g. a "bloomin onion" is NOTHING that you would see in Oz.

Our friend from Mesa practiced Oz a few times at outback before coming here...she was not looking forward to the food as a result...we drove past one of the only couple in Oz, and she told us not to go there...it's nothing like what she experienced here.

Pablo once described the marinade on the steak (Oz resteraunts don't marinade steak) as "urine like"
They're as Australian as a Holden Ute with a kangaroo in the bed!

Lol. You were doing ok until you called it "the bed"... we call it the tray!

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I'm embarrassed to say I've never been to Outback Steakhouse. Any favorites you enjoy ?

Is this place worth the money or just hype and better to go to a family restaurant with good reviews ?

I never order steaks from a restaurant. Reason-being is fat content received, versus picking-out lean steaks at a meat store or supermarket.

Had our Japanese counterparts in town this past week and we traveled away from the home office to do the annual wine drop off for Christmas to our really good customers, so I was able to eat at both Outback one night and the Keg among other restaurants where we were staying. (Our VIP of sales is a big steak fan).

I have to say the Keg is doing it far better at the moment than Outback. The service at the particular Outback location we visited was also quite terrible, having to ask for things missing from our meal, asking for a drink refill, asking for the bill after quite a while of sitting there with empty dishes.

The place was also nowhere near as busy as the Keg where we had to wait 1/2 hour for a table.

cheers3.gif

Last edited:
I end up going to Outback (and Carrabba's) 2-3 times a year because a rellie sends me gift cards. The ones closest to me are (barely) adequate for my needs, but I would never treat a friend there. An enemy maybe...but not a friend. The servers/cooks are just college kids needing to earn a few $ and the management folks are just the C+ highschoolers who graduated about 9 years ago and failed to get a job managing a roadside produce stand. I've never had a truly bad meal there, but I've never had a great one either. YMMV. Bon Appetit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back