ATF+4 go with Mopar, Castrol, or other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a case of Redline C+ to use my new Caravan (Wanted to try it in this application), I have used Amsoil Multi-Vehicle Formula before in a couple of vehicles including my own Journey it worked well.
Really any officially licensed ATF+4 product will do just fine if changed on time or Redline/Amsoil but I doubt you would put that in a Neon of that age at this point.
grin2.gif

All the ATF+4 officially licensed fluids require a specific Grp-III basestock and Lubrizol additive package so go for the cheapest officially certified if using this.

Last edited:
I don't know if Phillips cheapened it is not. But for Redline to grow at the prices it is sold for it has to be a clear superior fluid.

Originally Posted by JC1
Originally Posted by zrxkawboy
As long as it's on this list, it's all basically the same...

https://www.centerforqa.com/chrysler-brands/

+1. Will you be keeping this car for long? If so as suggested I would get a pan with a drain plug for future ATF changes.

Only to ease the draining process, the pan still has to be taken off to change the filter. The pan is small so it's not a big deal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lubener
Originally Posted by JC1
Originally Posted by zrxkawboy
As long as it's on this list, it's all basically the same...

https://www.centerforqa.com/chrysler-brands/

+1. Will you be keeping this car for long? If so as suggested I would get a pan with a drain plug for future ATF changes.

Only to ease the draining process, the pan still has to be taken off to change the filter. The pan is small so it's not a big deal.

That's true. When I had my Sienna i would change the strainer (aka the filter or rock catcher) every second time. I will do the same in the Caravan.

I'll see what the filter looks like next summer.

When ATF+4 came out it was unique. It was considered the first synthetic ATF, whatever that meant. My daughter had a '94 Neon and I changed the trans over to Mobil1 ATF, my knee-jerk application to everything. Within in a day she complained of the trans shuttering. So I changed it over to Dodge spec fluid of the time and all was well. Learned my lesson so always use, now, ATF+4 in Mopars. ATF+4 is a licensed product so any brand is ok. Mobil1 IS NOT spec'd for Mopars and XOM will tell you if you ask. Amsoil says "satisfies" so I don't know what that means.

You can get any ATF +4 and they should be good.. Castrol is good.... Even Advance auto parts house brand is very good..
If you want to you can go get Mopar ATF+4.. It might give you peace of mind..

I use super tech for all transmission fluid needs, unless a brand name is cheaper. Change it every 30k and it will last as long as it can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back