Grocery shopping: where do you shop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually Kroger (2), with occasional trips to Wal Mart-Meijer-the local 5 Star (Sautter's) for certain things that Kroger doesn't carry.

I buy food at Bi-Rite, Falletti Foods, Cal-Mart, Rainbow Grocery, Whole Foods, Canyon Market, and Trader Joe's, depending on what I'm looking for. I go to Grocery Outlet or Smart&Final for non-consumable supplies like soap and detergent, kitchen towels etc. I also go to Costco for some foods and other things maybe once a month.

Off topic, but Bi-Rite used to be a big drug store chain in Regina, many many moons ago.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Garak
Off topic, but Bi-Rite used to be a big drug store chain in Regina, many many moons ago.
wink.gif

It's one of the few places that carries Meyer's lemons and they have really good mangos. They also have a variety of very good prepared meals but they are a bit pricey.

For mangoes and lemons, we takes what we gets here.
wink.gif

If you have never had a Meyer lemon, you should try one. They are a hybrid between a lemon and a mandarin orange. They are sweet enough to eat.

Originally Posted by vavavroom
For mangoes and lemons, we takes what we gets here.
wink.gif

If you have never had a Meyer lemon, you should try one. They are a hybrid between a lemon and a mandarin orange. They are sweet enough to eat.

Makes gooood margaritas!

wink.gif

It's a very high-end gourmet market in the Mission District of San Francisco - once a place you didn't dare step foot in after dark if you didn't want to get caught up in gang beef it's now a gentrified area full of techies, yoga studios(I go to one of them), and coffee shops. There's still some of the Latino presence there though and homelessness around the BART stations is still an issue.

Bi-Rite also makes some amazing ice cream. I go there after riding my bike across the Golden Gate into Marin and back.

https://biritemarket.com/

Yes, that does look a little more high end. This, on the other hand, was our store, from a 1987 commercial:

https://youtu.be/kd6r-_5Oels?t=183

It won't embed because I used a time marker, but no one swore in the comments, so we're safe. The store in the commercial looks to have been the Victoria Square outlet, which now houses a Shoppers Drug Mart but in a different part of the (now nearly vacant) mall.

More on topic, the Shoppers outlets have brought in a lot more food since they've been purchased by Loblaws. It's certainly not a place to go grocery shopping, but if thinking of making something at home and the other places are closed, it will work. It's not all cans and TV dinners any longer, at least.

When I was in Vancouver 2 years ago, I did see quite a bit of Shopper's Drugs but I was intrigued by these "brand-free" supermarkets that sold house-brand food.

In the Northeast, in order of percentage spent on food.
Shop-Rite (very hard to beat). They keep updating their stores.
Maywood Market (gem of a local market).
Nicholson's Foodtown (handful of independently and perfectly managed stores of the Foodtown chain-which isn't large).
International Food Warehouse (recently refreshed and expanded single grocery-fish-deli-international items store). A "must visit" before Christmas.
Giant Market (BIGGEST value packed veggie market you've ever seen with other stuff too). It's in Hackensack, NJ. If you're within 10 miles of this place and claim good food isn't available; you ain't trying. Busses service the place.

Do you recall if they were called No Frills or something like that? Loblaws used to have all their chains with fairly similar pricing across the line, which made advertising in the paper days much easier. Now, they seem to have a differentiation going on, at least more than before.

That was it! I went past the one near W. 4th and Burrard quite a bit when I was in Vancouver for a half-marathon.

I haven't been in our No Frills since long before it was branded one from Extra Foods. Brands and so forth are much the same. It's just not terribly convenient. My god daughter loves the place. I go to the Superstore, which has better cuts of meat and a better selection of fruit. Of course, hours and location are big to me, and the No Frills and Independent Grocer chains of Loblaws don't have ideal hours for me. One of Loblaws' Independents (yes, ironic name) is near me, but Superstore's hours are hard to beat.

My wife shops at Whole Foods, North Sore Farms, Uncle Giuseppe's and the local butcher. I shop at Trader Joe's.

Aldi, Meijer, and Jewel (aka 'da Jewels' in Chicago). Occasionally Wal-Mart.

And, believe it or not, Menards. They don't carry a full line of groceries, like no produce, but they have a lot of non-perishable things like cereal and coffee that are a good price when they go on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back