Leaving cars sit for 1 month

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm leaving out of country for 1 month for vacation. My question is I have 4 cars that's going to be sitting on the driveway. Anything that I need to do before I leave?

06 Honda Odyssey
2000 mecredes ml55 amg
2011 mecredes e350 rwd
2014 Toyota Camry se 2.5L

I would do nothing. If anything, you might want to charge up the batteries a little after you get back, but even that is likely not going to be necessary.

When I was a single Sailor I would just leave my vehicle parked in the lot for weeks/months at a time. Not a single issue. If you are going to have one is maybe you kill a weak battery.

I'd find a way to run an ultrasonic mouse repellent. Maybe on an extension cord, up on a brick, under one of the cars.

Maybe some fuel stabilizer?
21.gif

Id drive each one a good distance, say 25-30 miles. At the end of the trip, fill up and add some stabilizer and/or 2-cycle oil to the tank. Then park them.

If you wanted to do a topping charge on each one that would be nice.

Your outcome may be the same if you just park and leave. Question is the amount of peace of mind you want.

Originally Posted by Imp4
1. Remove key from ignition
2. Leave for one month
3. Return and start car
4. Enjoy.....

You missed a step.

Lock doors.

In Sept. I returned from a 6.5 week vacation. My 02 Yukon and 17 Escape in my sig sat unused during that time. Zero prep was done. The Escape started right up, the Yukon had a dead/low battery, it's age and condition are unknown because it was in the Yukon when I bought it used. I jumped it and it and the battery was iffy for a couple weeks so I replaced it. If your battery is fine, you will be fine not starting it for a month...my Yukon battery was probably on it's way out anyhow.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
I would do nothing.

+1 I would not do anything unless it was more than 6 months. Maybe unhook the battery if it was more than three months, but thats it.

Last edited:
Both my mercedes w123 and my dodge plow truck started right up after 6 months off.

The merc smelled of mouse pee though.
frown.gif

Neither has computers. The merc had a clock. I parked it during daylight savings time and started it during the next DST.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by eljefino
The merc smelled of mouse pee...
frown.gif

37.gif

Originally Posted by eljefino
I parked it during daylight savings time and started it during the next DST.
lol.gif

crackmeup2.gif

Hire someone to drive each one at least once a week. Don't want to risk flat-spotting the tires plus this will keep all of the fluids good and circulated. When they're not driving them, keep each one on a battery charger. You do have (4) chargers, right ? If not, buy them before you leave.

/s

Considering your fleet you might want to call your insurance to see if you could suspend liability; My insurance will only do this if the suspension is >30 days.

I do not have battery charger for each car. All of the car has almost brand new battery. So if battery is dead I can replace it under warranty.

Two Mecredes used 93 octane from shell and Toyota/Honda used 87 octane.

My questions is:

1)How much gas need to be in the car with fuel stabilizer? I can put in sentry fuel treatment if I can find it local.

2) Can I increase the tires pressure to 50 psi to save wears from sitting.

I do not want to inform anything to my insurance company because then they will increase the price. I already have full coverage on all of my cars.

I can put mouse moth ball on each tires.

Last edited:
I'd either put an automatic battery charger on it to keep it topped up or do nothing and hope it will be ok.
(Most likely just have a low battery but not enough to be a problem)

Modern cars can have issues if you disconnect the battery. My Highlander I had had a specific procedure that needed to be done for the Radio and power lift-gate if it lost battery power at any point. I've heard some real nutty things about Mercedes as well.

If the automatic battery chargers aren't possible then don't forget about the solar panel battery maintainers you can get and leave on the dash attached to 12 volt always powered cigarette lighter to keep the battery topped off that way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back