Conventional oil is much better then synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ase

This was told to me by a salesman that says he was also a chemist that is the rep now for a high end lubricant company that sells to the mining business among its customers where it's not uncommon for a 500,000 gearbox replacement in that industry so bottom line he explained to me that a synthetic oil only has a limited amount of chains to attach an additive package to. Vs a conventional oil. Making the conventional oil much better for protecting those engines and gearboxes that are so expensive they make super cars look like toy cars. Cost wise. Any thoughts to this ? True or not ?
I was looking for top grade oil for my cat c-12 Diesel engine. And for my automobiles gas and diesel !

Last edited:
"Salesman" eh? Mus be in snake oil business as I don't buy anything of what he "told" you. That's my opinion

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by Ase
synthetic oil only has a limited amount of chains to attach an additive package to. Vs a conventional oil. Making the conventional oil much better for protecting those engines and gearboxes that are so expensive they make super cars look like toy cars.

I'd say the exact opposite, since Synthetic lubricants can be manufactured using chemically modified petroleum components rather than whole crude oil, but can also be synthesized from other raw materials and then a whole lot of additives. Not so much on conventional oil.

I see. But we are talking about mega mega ultra expensive equipment this is not your Bugatti It's 20 Bugatti's if you realize how much mining equipment costs. That's the only reason I was thinking he was correct. Basically called amsoil junk

There are SO MANY different types of synthetic oils.... you cannot lump them into "one category"

There is one truth, though - - - certain oil additives are better "carried" by the mineral oil, than by some synthetic oils.

Most anyone who frequents here knows that all "synthetic" oils have some mineral oil in them.

Originally Posted by Ase
I see. But we are talking about mega mega ultra expensive equipment this is not your Bugatti It's 20 Bugatti's if you realize how much mining equipment costs. That's the only reason I was thinking he was correct. Basically called amsoil junk

You're not a rep for the link you posted, are you?

You're giving away your hand a bit quick here.

Look at where mPAO and ester winds up … heavy industrial gearboxes etc … they can deal with actual lubricant engineers who might suggest mineral or synthetic lubes based on the cost of PM and failure … especially single point failure …

Planned shut downs alone are very costly … unplanned will cost you rungs in the ladder of success

No. Not at all. I can look up where I put his card and post it. I met him thru the company because I originally needed a very high temp non melting grease for my slack adjusters on my motorhome and no one had it and ever heard of it but this company had it and sent me to him for a sample tube of their grease

That's what he stressed to me that their brand can save a ton on pm costs

Also, a gearbox is a very different environment than the crankcase of an internal combustion engine...

the two situations cannot be compared

Originally Posted by Ase
That's what he stressed to me that their brand can save a ton on pm costs

Just as long as you don't buy Amsoil, right?

I wonder why he picked on that particular brand rather than any other major synthetic oil producer. Weird.

As I know they are different. A gearbox. Vs an engine. But he stressed he has better oil. In conv form he can set me up with for my big diesel engine

He picked on amsoil. Because I was sold on it and used it and mentioned it to him

I have always used amsoil and thought they were good enough for my vehicles and my customers vehicles if they opted for it.

I would be curious to know if his brand can be or was tested against amsoil or some other good brand and what the results would be for use in a diesel or gas powered engine what brands of synthetic oil are top is amsoil my best choice on a diesel or gas engine or is there a better German brand such as Liqui. Moly

LE (Lubrication Engineers) is a well known manufacturer of very good industrial lubricants, including synthetics. They have chosen to market their products through a system of consultants and from your post it sounds like this particular consultant may be doing them a disservice by talking too much.

I am not a chemist but I believe he may be partly correct in that a pure ester synthetic base oil does not readily accept a large dose of additives but blenders get around that by blending in other base stocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back