Photos of Truck Tire Treads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took some photos of truck tires while I am trying to find a LT rated truck tire for summer use. Not looking for a all terrain tire, just a quiet running tire that might see some towing on pavement with a 3/4 ton. I already have dedicated winter tires so no requirement for a dual purpose spec. Any comments or suggestions are welcome. Tire size will be LT 265 70R17. Thanks.
smile.gif

9B750A68-3C69-477B-B415-EF8554417A9E.jpeg

A0C0AE46-34EB-4B5D-AC15-15C652963B20.jpeg

A708F391-E75D-4E90-9827-BF3C35D8C94D.jpeg

F81E2FD5-CADD-4D6C-94F9-7AA1E7CD56D4.jpeg

817923B1-0547-49FC-8B06-BA1C52CDF432.jpeg

Last edited:
Choosing tires based on how the tread looks is a fool's errand.
So much more goes into tire construction and, by extension, overall performance.

There are quite a few (semi) dependable tire review sites out there (Tire rack, Consumer Reports, etc....).

Whatever information you get from those places will be orders of magnitude more dependable than some intetwebs poster that says 'They worked well on my '08 F150!!!'.

Good luck!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by Imp4
Choosing tires based on how the tread looks is a fool's errand.
So much more goes into tire construction and, by extension, overall performance.

There are quite a few (semi) dependable tire review sites out there (Tire rack, Consumer Reports, etc....).

Whatever information you get from those places will be orders of magnitude more dependable than some intetwebs poster that says 'They worked well on my '08 F150!!!'.

Good luck!
cheers3.gif

how is that different than any other post on this site. Most are anecdotal....little if any real science.

Defender LTX for the win. Had some they were great and long lasting.

Edit: although for heavy towing you will likely need to get a C or even E rated tire -- "normal" tires can squirm under a heavy load.

Last edited:
General APT is the latest I purchased … they are quiet on the highway … and good in the rain, dirt, and sand …

CFA9B6EE-A2F4-4CDF-BC34-DDFF8F5AE07A.jpeg

Originally Posted by 4WD
General APT is the latest I purchased … they are quiet on the highway … and good in the rain, dirt, and sand …

I've been looking at those. I have the Grabber HTS on the avalanche , with a foot of snow here and still falling, I'm wishing i had those on. I have to go to work in the morning.

The HTS tires have been good in the snow so far, but will need replacement soon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JLTD
Defender LTX for the win. Had some they were great and long lasting.

Edit: although for heavy towing you will likely need to get a C or even E rated tire -- "normal" tires can squirm under a heavy load.
I wouldn't be so fast to throw on unnecessary high load rating tires. They ride like rocks and I would only seriously consider them on something that was going to be towing or hauling most of the time or a work truck. My dad made that mistake when I was younger putting ten ply tires on our 95 2500 burb that towed a small boat a few times during the summer.

Michelin has been my choice for best riding and handling tire, but the motomaster APL is a good quiet tire and good price. My daughter has them on an escape and they work great. Hers are USA made,look like Coopers maybe.

Defender LTX are great in wet. Quiet. Last a long time....

IF you don't like Michelin, go with the Generals.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Originally Posted by 4WD

I've been looking at those. I have the Grabber HTS on the avalanche , with a foot of snow here and still falling, I'm wishing i had those on. I have to go to work in the morning.

The HTS tires have been good in the snow so far, but will need replacement soon.

I see they get good ratings in the snow … but I'm more likely to deal with that out of country than at home …

Those Goodyear SRA are junk .SRA= slippery road ahead .Worst tires ive ever had .Mich or Generals for what you want .

I have the Cooper discoverer ht3. I had them in light snow once and they were not the best.

The Goodyears are junk. Michelin or Generals are way better from experience. GY always seem to fail - broken belts, tread separation, poor traction and wear out prematurely. Never had that with the Generals or Michelins. Michelins do seem to crack with age. About 4-5 years they crack all over so if you drive few miles probably get the Generals.

Originally Posted by philipp10

how is that different than any other post on this site. Most are anecdotal....little if any real science.

That's a great point.
There's actually quite a bit of good information here on auto repair. It's a topic where anecdotal information can be very helpful.
Several times postal here have saved my butt w.r.t. repair know how.

Scientific oil analysis... Not so much...

2 guys i work with recently both got sets of Falken Wildpeak AT's for their trucks and say they are a very quiet running tire and have a nice tread design

s-l300.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Black_Thunder
2 guys i work with recently both got sets of Falken Wildpeak AT's for their trucks and say they are a very quiet running tire and have a nice tread design

I've been eyeballing those Falkens for my Silverado. Glad to read some good experiences!

I like Michelins, but their Defender series are long-life tires. Their other lines (Primacy, Latitude, Premier, etc.) are more performance oriented at the expense of some treadlife.

That said, I have a set of Defenders on my van and they've been good tires, especially in snow.

Of all the ones you pictured the General HTS would be my pick. Great performing tires, great treadlife.

We got 14 inches of snow today. I have about 1/4 mile of snow covered gravel drive to get to the main road in the morning. Freezing rain now. Will see how the 1/2 worn Grabber HTS does in this. Really wishing i had the Grabber all terrains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back