Amsoil SSO 0W-30, 1993 Civic, 3,007 miles

Originally Posted By: turboseize
This thread rocks.

I like high-milage cars. They are not very common. Some old Benz or BMW or Volvo or Saab, sure, you can find these if you know where to look for them. Most of these then proudly show their miles. A high milage small car is rare. And a high-milage small car, that is in showroom condition is ... for lack of a better word, absurd. This thing should not even exist, yet it does. Great job.

This is one of my favorite posts, I often replay it in my mind, so thank you very much turboseize!

Miles on Civic---510,447
Miles on oil-----10,175
Amsoil 0W-30 AZO (new formula)
Amsoil Eao36 oil filter
Twin Filtermag CT3.2's
Dimple magnetic drain plug
5 ozs LiquiMoly
19 ozs makeup oil

Blackstone Labs; Bearing wear has settled back down a bit since last time, and that's a nice find,
particularly considering the slightly longer interval. Other wear metals look good , so, so no worries
in the wear department. Silicon is a little higher than normal, as you predicted. Potassium and
sodium, increased just a bit, though, and this is starting to look more like a slight coolant
leak. We won't call it "positive" just yet...but we're close. if this is a leak, it's probably still too
small to detect on your end, so let's just watch it from here for now.

Code:
[/code]

Aluminum-------------------4-----------------------------4 (universal average based on 3,500 mile OCI)

Chromium-------------------1-----------------------------1

Iron-----------------------17----------------------------9

Copper---------------------5-----------------------------3

Lead-----------------------4-----------------------------2

Tin------------------------0-----------------------------1

Molybdenum-----------------357---------------------------85

Nickel---------------------0-----------------------------0

Manganese------------------0-----------------------------0

Silver---------------------0-----------------------------0

Titanium-------------------0-----------------------------1

Potassium------------------50----------------------------4

Boron----------------------50----------------------------50

Silicon--------------------23----------------------------11

Sodium---------------------19----------------------------43

Calcium--------------------1258--------------------------2135

Magnesium------------------948---------------------------151

Phosphorus-----------------713---------------------------713

Zinc-----------------------809---------------------------833

Barium---------------------0-----------------------------0

Code:
SUS Viscosity @ 210 F---------------63.7--------------------57-67 (should be)
cST Viscosity @ 100 C---------------11.24-------------------9.4-12.4
Flashpoint in F---------------------385--------------------->385
Fuel % -----------------------------trace------------------- Antifreeze %------------------------Positive----------------0.0
Water %-----------------------------0.0--------------------- Insolubles % -----------------------0.3--------------------- TBN---------------------------------2.7--------------------->1.0

Particle counts for ISO oil cleanliness code 15/14/11;

>= 2 microns------368particles
>= 5--------------136
>= 10-------------38
>= 15-------------14
>= 25-------------3
>= 50-------------0
>= 100------------0

Great to see this car still putting out UOAs harry! I hope the head gasket isn't going. How long has it been and how did the replacement procedure go before?

Have you pressure tested the cooling system yet to hopefully rule out a bad head gasket, and coolant entering the oil?

When the hg was going on our 92 Civic it passed engine and cooling system pressure tests for a year before failing; all the while showing signs of coolant into the oil. I also had loss at the radiator by the time it had a confirmed failure test. So, somewhere along the way potassium and sodium both increased a bit in the UOA but entry was detectable before officiall failure.

Last edited:
It's good to hear from you Itslimjim!

The head gasket was changed on February 21, 2014 with 384,966 miles on the engine.

I have 512,000 miles on it now, so that works out to 127,000 miles.

I will hunt down some anti leak tablets, it worked well last time.

I would pressure test the system, but the leak is so minor right now.

Cool. Whatever works I suppose. I still lurk from time to time reading here so I'm sure many appreciate your thorough reporting on the Civic.

I've had good success and so has my BIL with M1 AFE in our Honda Fits. However, I did have good results with Amsoil's MTF synchromesh in my 92 Hatch and currently their ATL ATF over Honda Z1/DW1(back spec'd).
thumbsup2.gif

I will say I believe my BIL had some sort of operational problem with his Fit; on top of extending his OCI a bit too far on M1 AFE. He ran a 18k and 21k run consecutively, but topped off about an entire Qt near the end of each interval. Now, his engine is consuming oil. It could be a clogged PCV system or other depositing and subsequent oil control rings being stuck but that's just guessing. I wound up concluding in order to account for his adding fresh oil within 2-3k of getting UOAs that the M1 AFE (low cal/higher mag SN formulation) could safely go 15k with mixed driving in the Fit engines through 2008. The '09 and newer got harder on oil.

Anyways, I digress just that we found a sweet spot OCI & oil combo. Yet, clearanced oil last year has me detoured on some Havoline ProDS instead.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: harry j
It's good to hear from you Itslimjim!

The head gasket was changed on February 21, 2014 with 384,966 miles on the engine.

I have 512,000 miles on it now, so that works out to 127,000 miles.

I will hunt down some anti leak tablets, it worked well last time.

I would pressure test the system, but the leak is so minor right now.

I like the anti-leak tablet idea. It would be interesting to see their impact on the UOA. If they work the UOA will show it.

The anti-leak tablets are worth a try demarpaint, I have them on order, should be here soon.

I was wondering, since I am unable to see any antifreeze missing from the overflow bucket,

How many car owners who never do a UOA, have engines that are leaking anti-freeze?

The anti-leak tablets are worth a try demarpaint, I have them on order, should be here soon.

I was wondering, since I am unable to see any antifreeze missing from the overflow bucket,

How many car owners who never do a UOA, have engines that are leaking anti-freeze?

Well, that's good you have overflow reserves still visible. As for your other proposed question:
27.gif

For older or troublesome vehicles who knows unless a failure rate was established.

Itslimjim,

I'm still bummed about your 92 Civic, is there an update on it? Was it ever recovered?

Thanks for asking. Unfortunately, it was not ever recovered. It has probably been used for the body type to drop in a K20s series of some sort and left unregistered as an off-road car I'd imagine. I was a bit naive and wish I had installed a kill switch and/or some sort of remote GPS for tracking in these situations. Learned a bit about oil and some things about cars as a result.

I miss driving it as it was fun! It's the first manual trans my wife and I learned on/ever owned so far. We had just re-painted it and restored it externally back to stock quality for anniversary at the time. I would've put up pictures as it was good quality restoration by the guy that did the job.

Eh, I guess I just appreciate reading about yours still kicking as a sort of nostalgia.
smile.gif

Back