Out of Its Ever-Loving Mind: My OLM

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason, my OLM has decided to leave the reservation and go set up residence in Crazy-Town. WWYD??

The facts:
- the OLM was sane and functioning as expected when I got the car (in June, w/ ~100K miles).
- 3 oil changes ago it started acting weird - coming on too early (2500 miles) and refusing to reset when commanded to.
- it's behavior is now firmly expected...to not follow and sensible schedule. It goes off at 2500 miles now every time, no matter the oil being run or the time on the oil.

Now, I am married, so I am exceptionally talented at tuning out annoying sounds and not worrying about them until I need to. However, the DING that sounds every time I start the car to alert me about the necessity of an oil change can it be ignored. It is my car! I cannot ignore some sounds and not others. That's a recipe for disaster!!

Given that it's a 2012 with 130K miles, there's no sense in paying the dealership to fix it, but still something must be done!

What would you do if it was you in this unfortunate scenario?

Get one of them there oil change stickers from Ebay or AAP and ignore the OLM.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Get one of them there oil change stickers from Ebay or AAP and ignore the OLM.

Oddly enough I have never gone long on an OCI due forgetting about an upcoming oil change. It's more like I'm always wondering how much longer until I can change the oil again and how much I want to cheat by this time so I can go ahead and change the oil without it being overly obvious I'm just changing it because I want to futz with my car.

As such, I have no use for oil change reminders, especially the one my CarFax app keeps trying to send. I'll give it credit for guessing closer than the car's own computer can, but still the sensory overload of things reminding me to do things I've either already done or don't have to do for another month is becoming quite maddening.

I've often found that with the various electronics on cars and around the house a simple disconnect from the power source for a few minutes makes everything reset and work normal again.

Have you tried disconnecting the negative battery cable for a short while? It's worth a shot before you get too deep into this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by fcjeep
I've often found that with the various electronics on cars and around the house a simple disconnect from the power source for a few minutes makes everything reset and work normal again.

Have you tried disconnecting the negative battery cable for a short while? It's worth a shot before you get to deep into this.

I haven't but I will likely do that as soon as my brake light switch arrives. Not sure if the install procedure for that switch specifies unhooking the battery, but it'll be a good excuse to anyway.

Thanks!

You're welcome.

I'm curious about this. Please post about it after you try it. I'll be looking for it.

Thanks in advance.

BTW "Now, I am married, so I am exceptionally talented at tuning out annoying sounds and not worrying about them until I need to." made me laugh.

Last edited:
Don't use the OLM so no problem
56.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back