Fisher/Federated Auto Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the deal with this place? One opened up nearby recently and when I went on their website, you can't browse their inventory or order online. They list the manufacturers of various parts they carry, and it's cool they have Bando belts and Beck/Arnley fluids. I haven't seen those at AAP or AZ.

I'm guessing the lack of online ordering mean this place mainly caters to professionals...? I'd like to give them a shot but having to call/walk in to know availability for every small thing sounds way too 1995 to me.

I didn't care for their site either. What's the point if you can't look at the products and price listings. I like AZ but their site makes it hard to narrow items down or put into a specific order.

Yeah their website leaves a lot to be desired...

I think you are right in that Fisher does a lot more with the professional side of things.

As long as you're a professional, Fisher/Federated will hook you up with everything, pricing, availability, etc. If you're a DIY mechanic, or someone who is a tech in another non-automotive field-you're probably better off with RA or somebody else, Fisher/Federated doesn't really care much about you (which is why they've been losing business here, IMO).

I see their little parts-running vehicles all day, every day, around here so I suspect they're doing fine. They simply don't cater to non-professionals but they don't refuse to sell to DIY'ers. They're just another option that one can use or choose not to use.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
I see their little parts-running vehicles all day, every day, around here so I suspect they're doing fine. They simply don't cater to non-professionals but they don't refuse to sell to DIY'ers. They're just another option that one can use or choose not to use.
Problem I've had with them, dating back to their KOI Auto Parts days (here) is their parts are overpriced, substandard (especially their rebuilt alternators, starters, etc.), and they don't want to honor their warranties. If you're a garage or regular customer they'll give you 40% off, free delivery, and bend over backwards for you. If you're not a garage, there's another kind of bending going on...

I used to buy parts from them before their KOI days at a location in Dayton called Undercar Specialty Warehouse. They were bare-bones and not really catering to DIY folks as far as their "store" went. Their prices were always better than Autozone, AAP, etc though and luckily I never had to deal with warranty issues. It's where you went if you wanted to buy name-brand parts too, before Amazon and to some extent, RockAuto. They were supplying the bulk of the repair shops along with (not making up the name) John's Auto Parts. They and a couple other places may have been linked because they all became KOI at one point.

Dealing with them, I always knew what to expect or not expect. They were there to order/supply the part you told them you needed. They didn't scan your car's engine codes, install your battery, etc. You also couldn't expect them to "help" you determine what was wrong.

It's a brick and mortar auto parts store. The best you get is reading its monthly sales circular online. They do have decent prices there. I recall the stores in Delaware are some of the only places I've ever seen Amalie motor oils.

There's one near me and I do business with them if I am not ordering online. They have a better selection, pricing, parts quality compared to AAP which I feel is a joke with idiots working there. They have much more knowledgable people working there compared to AAP and AZ.

The local parts house near my parents is an Federated store and on somethings they actually beat O'Reilly and AutoZone pricing. And on the weekends depending on who's at the counter they'll give you a small price break. I've had to get some whitebox rotors and shocks for my shadetree endeavors and they would have them in stock.

The other one near me - The Critic will occasionally use them is an APA(Parts Master) affiliate. They too do have decent pricing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back