How YouTubers make money - TechQuicke

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like this channel and stumbled across this video and thought I would share it for those interested in how monetizing YouTube videos works.

Saw on the news the other night, that kid that does toy "reviews" on YouTube made around $20 million last year. Totally bonkers.

I always liken this to someone who knows someone who knows someone who knows someone makes buckets of money doing such and such. There is always a top dog of anything but no ones talks about the ones that are just getting by in YouTube.

I was in line to make $57 from adsense but google cheated me out of it.

It all started with my harbor freight tire changing video hitting 25k views, google emailed me out of the blue and I signed up.

I did some other instructional videos, but none really took off. But a few hundred hits here and there add up.

I had copyrighted music in some of them, but youtube detected it and said I couldn't monetize those particular videos. Fine.

I could cash out in increments of $100 but quit and get my $57. So I did. Then I didn't.

I'm pretty sure nowadays, you have to hit over 1mil subscribers to make any decent amount of money and put our daily videos like clock work.
Linus, the guy in the OP, is a very smart guy that had a plan from the beginning. I remember his early videos when he worked for TigerDirect I believe. I liked his style, good and informative presentation and some humor mixed in. I then stopped watching computer stuff videos for a long while and just recently discovered that he has several youtube channels, his own company and his youtube viewership pretty much exploded.

For anyone that thinks they're going to make lots of money posting casual videos, posted whenever they feel like it, without video editing and other pro stuff, I suggest don't quit your day job.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KrisZ

For anyone that thinks they're going to make lots of money posting casual videos, posted whenever they feel like it, without video editing and other pro stuff, I suggest don't quit your day job.

And if you do an instructional video, edit it down to about 4 minutes. People looking for a movie on how-to may pick yours over longer, sloppier versions. It's easy to make a car repair video that drones on and on as a vanity piece-- look at me, I'm a good mechanic-- but you'll do even better if you show the hard parts, the rusted-together stuff, the compromises, etc.

Have good lighting, good sound (voice-over afterwards if you have to) and a tripod or non-shaky video. If you show a computer screen do a capture and not a camera pointed at it. And edit the stupid stuff.

the irony of this thread is that watching the video in the OP gets that youtuber paid...
My general rule of thumb is that if the video thumb image is in the style of that shown in the OP, its a trash click-bait novelty video

My daughter knew a kid in HS who made money off of videos he made about how to beat various video games...one of her teammates dated him for some time so she heard plenty about the guy.
I have no idea exactly how much he made per year or whatever, but he drove an new exotic looking Mustang of some kind that he paid for himself, not sure if it was some kind of SVT thing or a custom, and he also decided to forgo college because he didn't want to take a chance on interrupting his video income. I hope he's at least saving some money to go to college later if/when his income stream slows down...

Originally Posted by eljefino

And if you do an instructional video, edit it down to about 4 minutes. People looking for a movie on how-to may pick yours over longer, sloppier versions. It's easy to make a car repair video that drones on and on as a vanity piece-- look at me, I'm a good mechanic-- but you'll do even better if you show the hard parts, the rusted-together stuff, the compromises, etc.

Yes, some people go on and on talking about nothing. You'll know you're guilty of that when the top comment in the comment section is, "Click to 4 minutes, 38 seconds to get to the actual how-to part."

Editing can go both ways, of course. If you edit the video down to a short length, there may not be enough time to properly show the hard parts and areas you struggled with.

Some people edit out so much it's like, "Today I'm going to show you how to replace some vacuum hoses. In order to reach the back ones, first we'll need to remove the transmission. (video cuts to the transmission out of the car) And.. it's out."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back