Buying VW still?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just curious why, in light of VW's behavior, you guys bought a post-dieselgate VW?

Aren't you guys setting yourselves up for a "fool me once shame on your, fool me twice shame on me."?

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Aren't you guys setting yourselves up for a "fool me once shame on your, fool me twice shame on me."?

What are you alluding to? What are they fooling people about this time?

They didn't fool me. I bought mine knowing what I would get, and that is what I got, great fuel mileage and decent power in a Station Wagon. BTW, I got it 'fixed' and I still drive it. In the future if they offer what I need I won't hesitate to buy another one.

My sister bought a brand new 2017 Jetta after the buyback of her 2009 TDI. She really wanted a Chevy Volt, made the deal over the phone, went to sign the papers and they changed the deal, She walked away. They still called her a few times if she changed her mind to buy the Volt at their new, not agreed upon, price. She was so disgusted, swearing not to walk in that dealership ever again. She went to the VW dealer and bough her Jetta for half the price of the Volt. I know, not Hybrid, but still.

Who did they fool, aside from the EPA?

As a consumer, I appreciate the fact that they made a very efficient diesel in an affordable package with less complicated emissions equipment.

If VW is the last make to offer a manual transmission in something like a Jetta then I'd certainly buy one unless they suddenly revert to VAG pre-1994. Dieselgate doesn't really impact my psyche to the point that VW is "fooling" ME instead of the EPA if I'm intent on driving a gas model for the duration. I drove a MkIV Golf as a second car for ten years. I feel comfortable in saying that they break easier and have more niggling problems than Asian makes do...but not to the extent that it would prevent me from buying one....especially over something like Dieselgate.

Yes, I want my wife's next vehicle to be an Atlas. Now, if only i can convince her...

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

What are you alluding to? What are they fooling people about this time?

Just wondering why owners of new VW's bought them. For me I'll never own another VW or any product sold under VW Group because their decision to purposely defraud the customer. For me it's not that the emissions were worse than advertised, but that they knew about it and chose to hide it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Who did they fool, aside from the EPA?

As a consumer, I appreciate the fact that they made a very efficient diesel in an affordable package with less complicated emissions equipment.

The willfully chose to fool you. They basically stole your money because its very likely that the vehicle would never have been made at the price point you paid or the MPG's would've been much worse. In either case you might have decided to buy a different make.

Last edited:
Ford was killing & burning people that had the misfortune to be rear-ended while driving a Pinto. I think the market has moved on from those days.

GM ignition lock fiasco...Takata Air Bag Bombs, the list goes on.

What VW did was horrible, but they are not the only ones who did virtually the same thing. Can't say how many people lost their lives to the extra pollution?

I think all OEM's have their moment in the hot seat, how they handle it to prevent a reoccurrence is how I judge their suitability to have my money in the future.

Oh the hand waving at the little bit of extra emissions. Diesel gate was not about VW cheating, because all manufacturers do it, it was about setting an example for the entire industry in which direction they should be headed.
VW is now a good boy and will make electric cars, where before the diesel gate, VW, Mercedes and BMW were openly speaking against electric cars. Just look at how their tune has changed since VW was made an example of.

Originally Posted by KGMtech
Ford was killing & burning people that had the misfortune to be rear-ended while driving a Pinto. I think the market has moved on from those days.

GM ignition lock fiasco...Takata Air Bag Bombs, the list goes on.

What VW did was horrible, but they are not the only ones who did virtually the same thing. Can't say how many people lost their lives to the extra pollution?.

The pinto was a design failure not willfully so by Ford was it? GM is along the similar vein as VW, Takata is an OE supplier. I can't blame an OEM for that.

As I said earlier, IMO the fact that the vehicles emitted more pollution is not as relevant as the decision to continue forward knowing so.

Nothing about "diesel gate" offends me in any way. Those who owned vehicles impacted by it were often very fairly compensated for turning in their cars. VW diesel cars putting out a bit more emissions than advertised does nothing for me compared to the "offroad tunes" that are on every other diesel pickup truck these days with zero consequences.

Originally Posted by silveravant
Your original comment is pretty funny. BMW is also guilty of the same thing. I guess you won't be buying any BMW's in the future also.

Oh really? Care to elaborate?

I sold my '15 Passat tdi at a massive profit and replaced it with two brand new '15 Golf tdi's which they were giving away along with a 162,000 mile comprehensive warranty and six years free money financing. My only regret is not buying a couple more.

For me I'll never own another VW or any product sold under VW Group because their decision to purposely defraud the customer.

I figured people wouldn't buy them because they break a lot.
cool.gif

Originally Posted by DejaVue
For me I'll never own another VW or any product sold under VW Group because their decision to purposely defraud the customer.

I figured people wouldn't buy them because they break a lot.
cool.gif

I'm never gonna buy a VW, not because of the emissions thing, who cares about that, but because they are unreliable, expensive to maintain, difficult to work on, and have many not-so-cheap repairs when they get to higher mileage. Same for really any European car... BMW, Mercedes, Land Rover...

I can hop into either of my American vehicles and drive across the country and any auto parts store has pretty much anything in stock that I might need. But besides maybe not the best fuel economy I don't think I'd have any problems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back