dealers license plate frame

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter was pulled over today for having a dealers license plate frame on her car 2017nJetta. The kind that are on millions of cars. When she asked why she was pulled over the police officer said for the frame. I have never heard of this. I have heard of cops writing these kind of tickets when a more serious infraction occurred to give the person a "break" but this is the reason she was pulled over. She is in NJ car registered at my house also in NJ in about 50 miles away. He also questioned why her license isnt at school. She is a full time college student who rent an apartment during the schoolyear. Debating if I should fight it.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Show us a pic of the frame.

Yes please. Unless NJ just passed a law making license plate frames illegal, THAT ticket is bee ess and will get thrown out of court. Don't give NJ cop an easy and illegal victory.

[Linked Image]

https://www.richardsonlawoffices.co...s-can-get-you-a-ticket-in-new-jersey.cfm

they will pull you over where I live if the frame blocks too much of the plate ... so I ditch them when my new plates come in (taking off the paper plate) and put some slim versions on from AZ

they also do it with the aftermarket backup camera frames ...

The cop decided that he wanted to pull her over, as she must have done something to spark his curiosity. Perhaps he was hoping to get a DWI or a stronger ticket. However they need some clear reason to do so, and "obscured license tag" is a common reason. Not so much that it was a dealer frame, but rather that it provided the basis to pull her over if there was no clear cut probable cause. NJ is not the only state that allows this b.s. reason. I assume that NJ has the similar laws as my state, in which case you could fight it if you feel its worth your time.

Yep... while technically illegal (not sure about your location) here I ran a big "HOONIVERSE" frame that said "STOP THE HATE GET A V8" along the bottom that totally obscured Indiana's County code in the bottom right and most of the "INDIANA" at the top center of the plate. Never had an issue when I got pulled over. I'd fight it.

Lots of tickets aren't for real their just about revenue. They know lots of people are going to pay a lawyer a thousand dollars to fight a $125 ticket.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Lots of tickets aren't for real their just about revenue. They know lots of people are going to pay a lawyer a thousand dollars to fight a $125 ticket.

When they are expected to be self funding there are financial reviews and the need for more income exists ...
My town has destroyed many young lives with "less than an ounce" of marijuana arrests (which can be two seeds in the carpet) ... Just Google their full name on the internet and there it is in the small town newspaper ...
They normally get out and get probation but any tiny slip on that means revocation and jail ...

I would show up in traffic court with a picture of the front and back and ask the judge if he could kindly explain what was wrong. As long as it's not covering up the important parts of the plate I'll bet he throws it out. They're banking on you just paying the fine.

Well, no doubt about it, she was in violation of the law and as such, fighting the ticket may not be worth it depending on how much you value your time and energy. The best you could hope for by fighting it is a reduced or suspended fine, but you'd still have to cover court costs. So the net savings in money would be less than $100, closer to $50 it sounds like. But that's if the judge was cool about it. If he/she is a stickler, you may not get any break and have to pay the fine and court costs anyway.

Now, to be clear, I firmly believe that is a sham law that was likely intended merely as a revenue generating tool which could also be utilized by the cops as a surefire method of pulling over anyone they wanted to run the license of and/or search but couldn't find a normal reason otherwise. So it's crap, pure and simple. But it is a law in that state, so you are limited on options to deal with it.

As bad as it makes me feel to say this, you are probably better off paying the ticket and writing it off as an expensive lesson learned. That lesson, of course, is to stay out of NJ if possible, and remove the plate frames if it's not possible to stay out.

Good luck with it, let us know how it turns out if you end up challenging it.

The following is not meant to offend. It comes from my real life experiences (plural)

Did the officer appear to be one of those retarded looking, excessively youthful, possibly dim cops?

Stupid little towns seem to have very "local hiring practices" when it comes to hiring new cops.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for law enforcement. but any subset of society can exhibit greed and nepotism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back