Tractor Trailer Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
Was behind one today that had just two tires per axle- big fat Michelins.
Is that the new thing these days? Looks like it would make life a bit easier except
weight wise on a change.

Super Singles have been around for awhile. The claim is better fuel economy and less weight of the wheel/tire assembly. Less weight translates into more overall cargo capacity.

Bridgestone and Michelin are proponents of this - less weight, simplicity and a small MPG bump from lower rolling resistance and rotating mass. Concrete mixers and trash haulers have been using a similar concept for years.

Used to spec and buy tractors and trailers. Super singles have been available for about 2 decades. Given their lack of adoption is telling.
Service problems meaning higher costs, more downtime and not an industry standard a couple of reasons that haven't been adopted.

As others pointed out, super singles. They've been around for a while. Useful in apps where you need a little extra weight carrying capability (the super single is lighter than the duals it replaces) and it is supposed to hep with fuel mileage too. As others have pointed out, it does mean not limping a truck into a service area though - when one goes, you are down until its changed there.

We tend to see them in use on more local and regional uses - like bulk carriers (think cement, etc...) and some end dump users (who haul salt and gravel products - the extra load capacity is useful).

Originally Posted by MNgopher
As others pointed out, super singles. They've been around for a while. Useful in apps where you need a little extra weight carrying capability (the super single is lighter than the duals it replaces) and it is supposed to hep with fuel mileage too. As others have pointed out, it does mean not limping a truck into a service area though - when one goes, you are down until its changed there.

We tend to see them in use on more local and regional uses - like bulk carriers (think cement, etc...) and some end dump users (who haul salt and gravel products - the extra load capacity is useful).

Exactly. We use them on our dedicated bulk tankers that are mainly local. It's all about weight savings plus they're a little more fuel efficient. I've blown a cap, though. It makes for a huge gator on the road that can cause a lot of damage.

Originally Posted by 02SE
Super Singles have been around for awhile. The claim is better fuel economy and less weight of the wheel/tire assembly. Less weight translates into more overall cargo capacity.

Yes - for at least 20 years.

They make a hub mounted make up air pump to help keep small leaks from becoming a disaster. There are also systems that use the truck air supply. And of course tire pressure monitors.

2 sidewalls to flex rather than 4, fuel savings.

Rod

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Guys I know who own their rigs seem to stay away from them.

Yes - because individual tires on "duals" are far, far cheaper - and a Super Single flat tire means you pull over and park RIGHT NOW.

I've seen a few semis with them at my job as a test I'm guessing. Super singles are 445/50/22.5 whereas most, but not all, drive, steer and semi trailer tires on semis are 295/75/22.5.
You have some Pete owner ops that like "tall rubber" 24.5-R11.
As stated above, if you get a flat with a super single, you gotta sit and wait for a replacement. You can limp a truck or trailer if it has a flat on a dual. Super singles have no place on
converter dollies. The best tire casing in my opinion is Yokohama.

Originally Posted by Linctex

Yes - because individual tires on "duals" are far, far cheaper - and a Super Single flat tire means you pull over and park RIGHT NOW.

And two on the same side means a very real chance of a truck on its side.

Originally Posted by BigD1
Lawyers going to eat this up.

They've been around for 20 years... we aren't hearing about disasters.

I guess the fuel savings don't add up to all that much.

Back in 2005, I converted my "low pro" 24.5" standard duals to Michelin super singles (tire pros call them wide based singles). I weighed the truck before and after, and lost 440 lbs.

It may seem insignificant to lose 440 lbs when talking about an 80k lb truck, but it was a huge help to me. I was able to run with more fuel on board, rather than skimping along to maintain a legal weight. Another big benefit was improved ride; half as many side walls flexing certainly saved fuel but also created a softer ride. Very nice handling was a bonus. The "supers" are so easy to chain up, too. I could cut my time chaining drastically and that was a big deal when on tight schedules.

I ran super singles for about ten years and nearly 1.5 million miles. I lost two of them in that time. One popped in a truck stop parking lot, the other went kaboom on the high plains of eastern Colorado. I now have a very light weight truck with the good ol' traditional duals, but if needed, I could shave off another 400 lbs by converting.

The single wides were made for trailers who hauled bulky light loads which don't require as strong a sidewall as trailers hauling heavy loads. Ed

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by 02SE

Yes - for at least 20 years.

Yes, I know.

When I owned MDT's and HDT's, I considered Super Singles on the HDT's. At that point in time, they didn't make sense for my business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back