Pentosin brake fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Planning to do a fluid exchange on our Fusion which Ford specs as using DOT 4 LV brake fluid. I can get Pentosin DOT 4 LV locally for $15-18 for a liter. I'm not against Motorcraft fluid but it's twice as expensive from a local dealer ($16 for a pint). I did an exchange on my G35 recently and used less than a liter to do that. Did I get 100% of the old fluid out ? Maybe not but others with similar models (or 350Z models) indicated they used between 750ml to under 1000ml so I feel okay with the amount swapped.

Is this Pentosin good stuff ?

On a related topic, anyone use something like this DOT 4 LV in a car that only specs DOT 3 or DOT 4 ? Pentosin, for example, says it's backwards-compatible, even the LV variety.

Pentosin is a quality fluid, believe it is still OE for some European makes. I don't think you would have a problem w/ LV on a relatively modern car. I would not use it on antiques or cars w/ primitive hydraulic systems (see my signature :)), but you should be OK.

Pentosin makes top notch products . I use the same brake fluid in my VW . I use their ATF also .

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
I don't think you would have a problem w/ LV on a relatively modern car.

I presume a 2008 Infiniti G35 is okay ?

Yes Pentosin is very good brake fluid. I flushed and refilled my wife's NB with it and have had 0 issues with it. My wife and daughter are in this car on a daily basis in crazy Mexico City traffic, and brakes get quite a workout here. Pentosin is one of the top 5 fluids I would recommend and use.

There is nothing wrong with the Pentosin LV, and yes it is backwards compatible
smile.gif

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by wings&wheels
I don't think you would have a problem w/ LV on a relatively modern car.

I presume a 2008 Infiniti G35 is okay ?

Absolutely.

It's a sin if you skipped over the Pentosin for something else
smile.gif
ATE SL6(also sold as Bosch ESI) is also good as well. The Germans(BASF and Clariant) are the main producers of DOT 4LV.

DOT 4LV is a almost universal fluid for any glycol-based system, it's backwards compatible with DOT 3/4 but it doesn't meet the wet/dry boiling points of DOT 5.1. However, some brake systems are best served with conventional fluids, if you don't have ABS/ESP it'll be of no benefit.

Originally Posted by Garak
I'd say it's perfectly fine, too. I'm using Castrol DOT 4 LMA in my G.

I realize I can mail-order it, but I've never seen Castrol brake fluid around here (in stores). I do like Castrol stuff too....

Just curious, how much fluid do you use when you replace brake fluid ?

For me, I gravity bled when changing calipers. All four wheels, went through no more than two and a half pints. For whatever reason, I can get the Castrol DOT 4 for something like under $5 a pint, jobber price, which is significantly less than DOT 3 from most retailers. I don't see it at most stores, but independent jobbers occasionally have it, since Wakefield (our Castrol) markets aggressively. If Castrol makes something, you can find it on the shelf here somewhere.

Pentosin DOT 4LV is the brake fluid I use in my wife's Audi and my GTI which spec the particular fluid. That fluid is what all Auto makers will spec eventually I'm guessing. I bought it at O'REILLY'S and it comes in a metal can. Made in Germany, it's a quality product.

For me, I gravity bled when changing calipers. All four wheels, went through no more than two and a half pints.

That's almost 1.25 liters so I guess you really just let it bleed "extra" ?
grin.gif
From what I've found, typically no more than a liter is necessary but one could use 5 liters if you kept bleeding and topping off.

For me, I gravity bled when changing calipers. All four wheels, went through no more than two and a half pints. For whatever reason, I can get the Castrol DOT 4 for something like under $5 a pint, jobber price, which is significantly less than DOT 3 from most retailers. I don't see it at most stores, but independent jobbers occasionally have it, since Wakefield (our Castrol) markets aggressively. If Castrol makes something, you can find it on the shelf here somewhere.

Why did you have to change calipers? Too much salt on the roads or what?

My previous car ran on original calipers (as well as clutch) for 375K km and 17 years...

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
That's almost 1.25 liters so I guess you really just let it bleed "extra" ?
grin.gif
From what I've found, typically no more than a liter is necessary but one could use 5 liters if you kept bleeding and topping off.

I was "making sure," not to mention entertaining myself. I'd always done two man bleeds before and never tried gravity bleeds, so I was pretty enthralled with how well it was working.

dubber09: The piston seized. I'm not sure I can blame salt. I haven't had to do a lot of caliper changes before, and I've been here all my life and worked on enough vehicles. The piston that Infiniti was using looked to be pretty ridiculous. The caliper didn't have a spot of rust, nor did any of the mounting hardware or bolts, but the piston was just corroded to heck. It looked like they just smoothed out an old bottle cap and thought that would be a suitable piston.

It's pretty bad when I can turn bleed screws with no issues and remove a caliper without even considering going to penetrating lube, but the piston is not much more than powdered rust.

I always bled brakes by myself and with no tools, just by attaching a clear hose to the bleed screw and routing it UP and then DOWN into a plastic bottle.
When I press brake pedal to get fluid moving there is always some fluid in the hose this way, so no air is going back into the brake line.
ChriFix has a video on Youtube showing the process - one person process.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back