The Grey Goose hits 250,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well here it is.. 250k miles on the Grey Goose...

She's been through some stuff... Deer hits, tree fun, and being run into from behind...

Still runs very good. Quick. No leaks... Still fun to drive. Not too shabby.

IMG_20181206_050747400.jpg

Last edited:
It seems like its a crap shoot with those 3.5s. I have had a few muranos with over 200k on them and runs silent, yet I bought a Maxima with 38k on it that needed timing chains, and we recently had an 09 infiniti m35 that needed them as well.

Congrats bbhero! Well done!

Was hoping I would've seen that on my GC one day but it was not to be.
frown.gif

Congrats. I'd be happy with that. Next milestone is 300k. With normal maintenance it should be realistic.

Originally Posted by Audios
It seems like its a crap shoot with those 3.5s. I have had a few muranos with over 200k on them and runs silent, yet I bought a Maxima with 38k on it that needed timing chains, and we recently had an 09 infiniti m35 that needed them as well.

It was a design defect, happened to my XTerra too. Nissan didn't bother to smooth out the rough edges left by dull cutting tools used to stamp out the chains, which led to them eating through the pastic tensioner and whining as they rub across the metal pin underneath. New chains since about 2010 or so don't have the defect, they also make the tensioner shoes out of a harder material so once you fix it, it shouldn't happen again. It was about $100 of parts and 2 weeks of my time, and once the issue is addressed I've heard of the 4.0s in the XTerras/Frontiers (the big brother of OP's 3.5) going 250-300k+. Mine's at 172k, runs well, doesn't burn a drop of oil in 5k OCIs.

The reason you say it was a crapshoot is because chains made at the start of a production run with sharp, new tooling came out fine. As the run went on, they got progressively worse, which is why some will start whining at 38k like your Maxima, and others lasted to 100k or more before starting to whine, and others never did. When I pulled the chains out of my XTerra, the ones I took out felt much rougher than the new ones I put in.

Last edited:
I used to know a guy that had a Nissan Frontier that had 450,000 miles on it. The engine finally let go. He installed a junk yard engine and gave the truck to his Son. He went out and bought a brand new one for himself.

Makes sense... About the tooling part...

I guess it can happen... I've read about the timing chain cutting into guides... But like you said it typically shows up "early". Well early compared to my miles
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back