Change oil and filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my yamaha 2000 R1, I have put nearly 1700-ish miles and it's been a year with filter and oil change.

I have added some make up oil, because of very slight burning. But shifting is flawless so far.

Oil still looks clean and fine from the sight glass too.

Should I drain it because of time or leave it and stick to 2500-3000 miles interval?

Thoughts or advise? Thank you
smile.gif

What kind of riding do you do?
Mostly short trip, mostly long trips, a mix?
Aggressive riding or relaxed?
Is the bike ridden year round or stored for winter months?
What oil and filter?

These all make a difference in if you should or not.

Originally Posted by maverickfhs

Oil still looks clean and fine from the sight glass too.

Honestly - I wouldn't change it.

Having owned GTS-1000, R1's , various Yamahas, Suzuki and Honda: I would not rush to change it unless your using some low quality oil and filters. IIRC I have also cut open almost every filter available for that model, and quite a few are low quality. Good quality filters for your model are the Yamaha / Denso OEM filter (decent). The Mobil 1 , Amsoil, Purolator Boss, Fram Ultra are all excellent and I have used them extensively. The HiFloFiltro seems to be average.

I had two bikes, one street, mostly just for Sunday rides in the canyons with the boys, and one full on race bike. Both the same bike, GSXR 1000. The street bike I changed once a year with Motul 300V, I rode it 1500/2000 per year, and I beat on it and rev'ed it hard in the canyons! It was not stock...

The race bike, every 4 days at the track, its over kill, but there is nothing cheap about a road race bike!

If you ride your bike like the "Normal" Consumer you could easily stick to the suggested oil change intervals listed in your owners manual. I'm not Normal, I was what you refer to as a Thrasher.

2 years and/or 3000 miles won't be a problem. That's what I do with my Honda 750, which is seeing less and less time on the road each year due to work commitments.

I'd change it once a year. It may be overkill but it's a minimal expense and I love changing oil.

I ride like a grandpa and mostly weekend and over 100 miles rides.

I have purolator long one with rotella 15W40 in it.

When I've tried Rotella in my sportbikes, the shifting always deteriorated quickly, prompting me to change it with relatively few miles. I don't run Rotella in either 5w40 or 15w40 anymore as a result. Using Motul 300V 4T, I have yet to experience shifting degradation. So I change that at (conservative) 4k intervals, or annually, if riding on the road. More often if riding on the track.

My riding style would probably best be described as spirited or to use 'kneegrinder's' term, "thrasher", when no one else is around. My wife rides a bit less aggressively.

I just did the annual end-of-season oil change on all three bikes recently, and they are hooked up to their trickle chargers waiting for snow, salt, and ice free roads.

In your case I'd probably change the oil anyway, because a jug of Rotella isn't expensive. If it will be sitting for awhile, I'd also put some Sta-Bil in the gas, and run it long enough to get the Sta-Bil into the float bowls. Show the R1 some love.

T4 or T5 15w-40?
T4 is conventional and I would change it.
T5 is a blend and would probably be fine if left in.

In reality it probably would make no difference, but a jug of T4 is like what, $13, and T5 is $16? A filter is less than $10.

$25 to not have to worry about it is not bad, but again, free and not worry about it is even cheaper.

Originally Posted by blupupher

T4 or T5 15w-40?
T4 is conventional and I would change it.
T5 is a blend and would probably be fine if left in.

In reality it probably would make no difference, but a jug of T4 is like what, $13, and T5 is $16? A filter is less than $10.

$25 to not have to worry about it is not bad, but again, free and not worry about it is even cheaper.

Thanks, it was T4 and I'll probably change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back