Garage tunes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an old AM/FM Sony cassette boom box that's been playing constantly 24/7 for 24 years. The only time it isn't on is during a power outage. It sits on top of my 30 year old Sears upright freezer. I have a cardboard box full of old cassettes and occasionally slip in a cassette by Bob Seger or Foreigner or AC/DC or Pink Floyd or..........

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
Originally Posted by Linctex
A REALLY nice Kenwood 200 watt (? - I think) 4-channel receiver that was like $400 in 1991 dollars. (I'm sure it's worth about $20 now).

Speakers are high end Pioneer 4-way (woof, two mids, and tweeters) that were also worth about $400 30 years ago, worth about $10 each now.

Big garage? You talking tower speakers right

40 x 60 work area, but I just "used what I already had"

Originally Posted by Dinoburner
20 + year old Kenwood car unit feeding 4 missmatched 40 watt speakers. Run uint off 12 V power supply.
Good enough to run old country music station thru it.

Similar set-up at my ex-F.I.L's garage (we're still friends, my ex-wife doesn't mind) - except it's an old Audiovox with a "3-band EQ"
grin2.gif

The tape player still works in it, too!

I have an old receiver with a fried HDMI board, but the radio still works. 5 speakers and a sub.

Pandora usually. 50's-80's rock.

1974 Marantz receiver with tower speakers and an aerial FM antenna. Usually I listen to the local classic rock station, but occasionally I listen to Pandora via my phone and the AUX input on the receiver.

Most of the time when I'm outside, I've got earbuds in my ears, latest pair is Anker Soundcore Spirit X.

I've had good luck with a pair from Taotronics too, until my son dismantled them.

When I'm working in the garage and can have a speaker going, I just have an Anker SoundCore Mini. Sounds pretty good, especially considering it's size.

Generally playing something from my 70 GB of music collection or from Amazon Music from my phone.

Insignia (Best Buy brand) 40 watt receiver, 25 year old Pioneer 6 disc CD player that I can't tell you the last time I played a CD and 25 year old Pioneer floor speakers with 10" woofer. I have the speakers mounted on the wall.
Mostly play music from my phone via the AUX input on the receiver.
Needless to say, it rocks.

I'm using a Heathkit AA151 integrated tube amplifier, Kenwood AM /FM tuner connected to a pair of Bozak speakers. The system sounds better than many systems people are using in their homes.

My dad and I rigged up a Chrysler car radio in a wood box we made with a 12V power supply and a vehicle metal antenna. Put 2 speakers on either side of the unit in the box.
Nice deep sound, great reception and it plays CD's. Got is all from the scrapyard for next to nothing because the clock time runs slows so no one wanted the radio. Was a fun project, easy to put together.

Something like this but our speakers were front facing, and the antenna was mounted to the top of the box. The lid has a hinge so we can get in there if we need to service something.

I'll snap a picture of it when I'm at my dad's next.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gman2304
I have an old AM/FM Sony cassette boom box that's been playing constantly 24/7 for 24 years. The only time it isn't on is during a power outage. It sits on top of my 30 year old Sears upright freezer. I have a cardboard box full of old cassettes and occasionally slip in a cassette by Bob Seger or Foreigner or AC/DC or Pink Floyd or..........

I might start leaving my radio on at really soft volume I'm wondering if the ambient sound will keep the mice out.

My sister didn't want her Panasonic "bookshelf" stereo anymore, so she gave it to me. It has a 5-disc CD changer, which is broken, a dual cassette player that I never use (I don't even own any cassettes), and an AM/FM radio that I never use (I hate listening to radio). The only thing on it that I use is the AUX input, which I plug my iPod into. It has 2 good size speakers with tweeters, mid-ranges, and woofers that are separately wired to the main unit. It has good sound quality and is plenty loud for my 20x22 garage.
Not my pic, but it's this model:
[Linked Image]

A JBL Flip 3 I bought at a yard sale down the street from my parent's place for $20. That thing knocks for its size.

Eventually, I'll get a Milwaukee M18 Bluetooth radio/charger.

^ very cool idea StevieC.

I have a Pioneer (100w/ch) receiver + CD player in the basement. There, it powers some (USA-made) JVC speakers (10" woofers). This same receiver also power some Yamaha bookshelf speakers (5" woofers) in my garage. The remote works from the garage interior door down to the receiver. The large JVC speakers were $30 from garage sale. The Yamaha speakers were $15 at Savers (2nd-hand store). The receiver was mine and retired to basement use years ago. The CD player was free (retired from my parents).

Here's my temporary garage tunes, once the weather breaks going to hook up the bluetooth boss audio radio pulled from my F150. Any suggestions on a power supply the radio specs 12v DC 10A max, will a 12v DC 2 or 3A supply pull it off?

IMG_0134.JPG

Have an old Sherwood 100 watt receiver running 2 JBL S26 speakers with Kenwood 12" sub and a Pioneer DVD player that i play CD's when i'm working in the garage, all old equipment that would have ended up in the attic.

https://www.silverticketproducts.com/products/652btw also on ebay and amazon.. for around $100

This is a pair of indoor/outdoor patio speakers.. that i first heard at my buddys house.. crisp and clear with bass and mids. Sounds really good

I bought for my garage and also i move them to the patio.

Just bluetooth from your ipod/phone and done. No wires except power.

worth every penny.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
https://www.silverticketproducts.com/products/652btw also on ebay and amazon.. for around $100

This is a pair of indoor/outdoor patio speakers.. that i first heard at my buddys house.. crisp and clear with bass and mids. Sounds really good

I bought for my garage and also i move them to the patio.

Just bluetooth from your ipod/phone and done. No wires except power.

worth every penny.

Those are real cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back