4-Wheel Drive in the Winter Advice - Humor

Status
Not open for further replies.

photo_2018-12-04_23-18-45.jpg

^^

So true, and it still amazes me each winter how many people crash or run their 4x4 into ditches.

That's why the XJ has four studless winter tires on it-hurts the heavy snow traction a little over A/Ts, but does wonders in ice (which is the primary winter problem here anyway).

Gas Pedal pushers end up in the ditch.....Through the years I drove many rear wheel drive vehicles up here in Minnesota. Talk about learning to feather the gas pedal. Most were manual transmissions and starting off in 2nd gear would help prevent torque break-away.

Originally Posted by philipp10
Gas Pedal pushers end up in the ditch.....Through the years I drove many rear wheel drive vehicles up here in Minnesota. Talk about learning to feather the gas pedal. Most were manual transmissions and starting off in 2nd gear would help prevent torque break-away.

Fun fact if you put the jeep cherokee (2014-2019) into "snow mode" it starts out in second gear and wont go over 6th.
as well as adjusting the traction control/stability control etc.

Last edited:
In 1995 I was in Ohio for 6 months. It snowed. Having grown up in southern California I was not used to snow. I was on a 2 lane road with corn fields on each side driving what I thought was a safe speed. The shoulder was narrow and slanted so I was not able to pull over. 3 cars came roaring up behind me and I guess I was going too slow for them.

They all formed a line on my left and started to pass me. Then as each passed me they lost control and slid off the road backwards into the corn field.

1,2,3 just like that.

This is the 3rd winter with my Frontier. I will say, having 4x4 (and maybe AWD) really does give a sense of confidence in snow other vehicles don't. I can really see how people would be over confident and get into accidents. No apologizing for anyone that does, but I can see how it happens.

I've had snow tires on other less capable vehicles, and you are constantly reminded even then that you better take it easy.

I like the traction of 4 wheel drive on slippery surfaces for take-off and driving through slushy deep snow but I don't think it makes the car more stable at travelling speeds and certainly not when trying to brake in a dicey situation.

Batman's the hero we all need.

The rotating mass of a traditional 4WD system makes great redneck ABS on snow. Having all the wheels turning 15 MPH when you're going 30 gives more control, IMO, than having a tire pulsing between 30 and 0 over and over again.

Originally Posted by eljefino

The rotating mass of a traditional 4WD system makes great redneck ABS on snow. Having all the wheels turning 15 MPH when you're going 30 gives more control, IMO, than having a tire pulsing between 30 and 0 over and over again.

i tried explaining a version of this on FB and people had no idea what i was talking about.

Originally Posted by StevieC
I like the traction of 4 wheel drive on slippery surfaces for take-off and driving through slushy deep snow but I don't think it makes the car more stable at travelling speeds and certainly not when trying to brake in a dicey situation.

If the 4wd has a longer wheelbase, like a truck, or suburban suv, they can be more stable against jumping around in other cars tracks. NOW if you ever get it out of sorts or sideways, you really will have your hands full.

But you have already screwed up it that happens and you are probably going to be in the ditch.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by eljefino

see that's where your wrong. Having one set of tires match the road speed gives you more control. Ever hear of static verses dynamic friction? Especially on a rear drive car, your front wheels matching your speed is critical to steering.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back