VW to kill off petrol and diesel combustion cars from 2026

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
VW to kill off petrol and diesel combustion cars from 2026

https://thedriven.io/2018/12/05/vw-to-kill-petrol-and-diesel-combustion-cars-from-2026/

Originally Posted by TheDriven
The current range of internal combustion engine cars being developed by Volkswagen AG brands will be the last ever, VW chief strategist Michael Jost said this week.

With an electrification strategy firmly in place for the group's stable of auto brands, VW is now ready to embrace the end of ICE age and is planning the last rollout of ICE platform cars in eight year's time.

The car maker, which works in seven-year development cycles, says its next cycle will begin in 2025 and will include electric vehicles only.

"Our colleagues are working on the last platform for vehicles that aren't CO2 neutral," Jost said at an industry conference near the company's HQ in Wolfsburg, Germany on Tuesday.

"We're gradually fading out combustion engines to the absolute minimum."

While it doesn't mean production of ICE cars will come to an abrupt stop, it does indicate that the European auto brand intends in the future to sell only electric vehicles.

It's a significant but not unexpected announcement from the German company, which has been at the centre of the Dieselgate scandal since 2015, when it was issued a violation notice by the US environmental protection agency which alleged that emissions controls for its diesel engines had been intentionally deactivated.

Since then, the auto giant has committed €44 billion to the development of next-generation zero-emissions mobility, saying that the group as a whole has plans to put 50 all-electric models on the road by 2025.

Three of its German factories will be upgraded and batteries have been sourced from China and South Korea as part of the plan.

VW chief Herbert Diess has said that the upgrades and plans will allow the Wolfsburg group to build 15 million EVs, "that can do anything like Tesla and are cheaper by half."

The upcoming VW all-electric I.D. series will first include a "Neo" electric hatchback, as well as the I.D. Buzz (the new electric "Kombi"). It may also include an electric crossover SUV. The I.D. Crozz, which first appeared at last year's LA Auto Show will be the first to go on sale in the US from 2020.

Originally Posted by wemay
says its next cycle will begin in 2025 and will include electric vehicles only.

"Our colleagues are working on the last platform for vehicles that aren't CO2 neutral," Jost said at an industry conference near the company's HQ in Wolfsburg, Germany on Tuesday.
[/quote]

What about all the coal and natural gas burning electric powerplants?

PR puffery.

2025 is a long time from now.

Let's check back then and see what they actually do with their product line.

Originally Posted by Astro14
PR puffery.

There will probably be a larger number of more advanced electric cars on the road by then, but electric cars have been on the market for a while and it's not like people are trying to unload their IC cars to buy them. If that doesn't change they are going to lose a lot of market share in North America. Cars aren't big sellers anymore and I think even diehard VW fans would turn their back on them if they actually stop selling IC cars. Didn't GM make a similar claim that they would be out of the solvent burning game by 2025? Are we running out of oil or something?

Originally Posted by Astro14
PR puffery.

VW Has been advertising the large VW Westphalia Bus EV for what 8 years?

Coming soon...

Either these manufacturers know something we don't or they are betting on shaky future technology.

Claims that people only need 150-300 mile range (the range of batteries available today from cheap to expensive) are not only false, but incredibly disingenuous. One look at our crowded American interstates clearly indicates that electric cars with 300 mile range are impractical on vacations, long interstate trips, sudden travel needs and so on.

Stories abound about highway trips with EV's. Long charge times, slower cruise speeds to stretch range, poor heat, early charge stops due to charger locations, struggles when plans change and so on.

I love the EV's, but without 600 mile range and 5 minutes charges, there will be problems.

Furthermore, the argument that "you can just rent" falls flat too. Good luck finding a rental during season around here.

A great quote from a Chevy Bolt owner: "Like other electric vehicle owners, we are more likely to go for lunch, stay overnight, or take in local attractions while we charge up, electric-car tourism should clearly be viewed as "dollars coming into a community." down the freeway at an average of 80 mph, we got nowhere near the 238-mile rated range. After 103 miles, we showed only 70 miles of remaining range"

Last edited:
Yep, cuz manufacturing batteries is "carbon-neutral" too....
confused2.gif

Will Germany have the generating and transmission capacity to support all these EVs? No country in the western hemisphere does. Do they?

Originally Posted by Cujet
Either these manufacturers know something we don't or they are betting on shaky future technology.

Claims that people only need 150-300 mile range (the range of batteries available today from cheap to expensive) are not only false, but incredibly disingenuous. One look at our crowded American interstates clearly indicates that electric cars with 300 mile range are impractical on vacations, long interstate trips, sudden travel needs and so on.

Stories abound about highway trips with EV's. Long charge times, slower cruise speeds to stretch range, poor heat, early charge stops due to charger locations, struggles when plans change and so on.

I love the EV's, but without 600 mile range and 5 minutes charges, there will be problems.

Furthermore, the argument that "you can just rent" falls flat too. Good luck finding a rental during season around here.

A great quote from a Chevy Bolt owner: "Like other electric vehicle owners, we are more likely to go for lunch, stay overnight, or take in local attractions while we charge up, electric-car tourism should clearly be viewed as "dollars coming into a community." down the freeway at an average of 80 mph, we got nowhere near the 238-mile rated range. After 103 miles, we showed only 70 miles of remaining range"

Like many others, your missing the story here. No one is saying we will be 100% electric soon. However, most families have 2 or 3 cars. Only one needs long range. I drive only 6 miles to work. But even if I drove 50 miles, an electric car would be great....as long as my other half have "the more capable" vehicle. 99 % of trips are within an electric cars range. Secondly, your missing the part where batteries improve. It's not a static world, 15 years ago a battery car seemed a pipe dream, yet here we are.

It's a very bold move on the part of VW and could go either way.

I would worry how this decision might affect VW sales of internal combustion vehicles between now and then?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by philipp10
Cujet said:
150-300 highway miles with no traffic, bad weather or A/C. Electric cars are the cell phones of a decade ago, their batteries suck and there is nothing anyone can do but wait.
Like many others, your missing the story here. No one is saying we will be 100% electric soon. However, most families have 2 or 3 cars. Only one needs long range. I drive only 6 miles to work. But even if I drove 50 miles, an electric car would be great....as long as my other half have "the more capable" vehicle. 99 % of trips are within an electric cars range. Secondly, your missing the part where batteries improve. It's not a static world, 15 years ago a battery car seemed a pipe dream, yet here we are.
I think you nailed it, an electric car is a luxury commuter car for people who have multiple cars and an dedicated parking space to charge it. Wait until millennial families having two cars is the exception, not the rule.

How well do the batteries hold up in the cold? I thought they were said to have even further reduced range in coldd climates.

Better goal than betting the farm on SUV and pickup sales. Failed once before and will fail again sometime if they don't change up some.

After the emissions scandal, VAG's utter resentment toward combustion has gotten REAL lol There's nothing left for them to do but latch onto the moronically ill conceived German govt legislation of banning combustion vehicles in general, starting with metro areas. But they're not worried, they'll always have German government subsidy programs to keep their hair-brained business plan intact for a while. Let's just watch the corporate welfare play out....

Secondly, your missing the part where batteries improve.

Then the battery manufacturers must be missing this too. You must be referring to how 10 years ago, my Palm Treo battery would last about 32 hours, and fast forward ten years, where batteries "improved" and now my iPhone 7 battery lasts.... about 7 hours. From a capacity that's nearly double the Treo.

Unless we are coerced by forced elimination of ICEs, excessive "green" taxes, or stupid politicians forcing insane laws onto the people, the battery simply cannot replace the energy density of gasoline. In addition, PHEVs are simply a way of turning a blind eye and kicking the "carbon boogeyman" a little further down the line past your own doorstep. Like others mentioned, there simply isn't enough non-carbon electricity generation to support an electric-car economy anytime soon.

I just don't see that working out for them... or any other car company for that matter.

Telsa sells lots of cars because they are a status symbol.... and just happen to be electric. I think the fact that they are electric just adds to the mystique.

There are an awful lot of people who don't have any way to charge an electric car (no garage, apartment residents, street parking, etc.).

Unless they know something we don't, like a big tax on fuel, engines, or some new battery/ charging technology, electric cars will always be a small market.

They are coming late to the party. GM announced it over a year ago.

GM Is Going All Electric, Will Ditch Gas- and Diesel-Powered Cars

General Motors plans to go 100 percent electric, the Detroit automaker announced Monday.

GM currently offers one extended-range electric vehicle, the Chevrolet Bolt EV, but will add two others within 18 months, said Executive Vice President Mark Reuss, with "at least 20" to be in the line-up by 2023. In addition, the company is developing a new truck platform powered by hydrogen fuel cells, dubbed Surus, short for Silent Utility Rover Universal Superstructure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back