Michelin LTX M/S2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a used set of Michelin LTX M/S2 size 245-70-17 for my 2005 Silverado.

I have to say they have improved the ride over what i just took off. I also just returned to stock size, as the previous owner had 265's on the truck.

Any comments from any long time owners? Are you happy with yours? Thanks.

My family has had excellent service from this tire, we've owned three sets as well as several of its predecessor. Wet performance is very good, as is ice, though I believe the latter is likely not much of a concern for you.

Yes I had them on my previous truck (2006 GMC) but in the 265 version. Excellent tread wear, excellent wet / dry performance and very good snow performance. I will be putting them on my new truck once the OE's wear out.

Had 2 sets on my 2005 Silverado HD.. They were hands down better than the 2 sets of Goodyears I had on it. Mileage, ride and traction.

Pulled the set of LTX's off of my Silverado at 34,000 miles. Worst tire ever, and I couldn't stand them anymore. I wasn't going to go through another white knuckle winter. Little to no traction on snowy, icy or wet pavement. Only upside is that I sold them on Craigslist for way more than they were worth (but the buyer didn't know that).

Most expensive tire purchase in my life. Biggest tire purchase mistake in my life. Never again.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
Pulled the set of LTX's off of my Silverado at 34,000 miles. Worst tire ever, and I couldn't stand them anymore. I wasn't going to go through another white knuckle winter. Little to no traction on snowy, icy or wet pavement. Only upside is that I sold them on Craigslist for way more than they were worth (but the buyer didn't know that).

Most expensive tire purchase in my life. Biggest tire purchase mistake in my life. Never again.

Interesting to hear someone say that, as I'm on my 3rd set, and I've found them to be great (although, living in Nashville, we don't get a lot of snow and ice). Wet traction and dissipation of standing water is especially good with these.

What are you comparing them to? What tires do you prefer?

My tires will never see any snow. We do have torrential rains and flooding. If they resist hydroplaning and continue to give me a good smooth ride, I will be happy. Only real concern I have is that some say they wear out quickly.

Have had three sets on three different vehicles. Great ride and traction in everything but deep mud or snow. Wore like iron, one set lasted 100,000 miles and the other two at least 50, when they were traded.

Last set on my old truck replaced at ~90k miles and only age/cracking stopped them. those are some of the best road tires made period. If someone says they didn't wear well they had an alignment problem or drank too much and forgot what they really had. The longevity is likely due to Silica in the rubber which also gives good wet grip. Deep heavy grooves also channel water away.

I currently have around 40k miles on my and it look like it can go another 30k. It is a great tire for in the rain, I have driven in the snow in both Flagstaff/Grand Canyon and on the east coast and it preform great with traction but not like a dedicated winter tires.

They aren't dedicated winter tires, and you shouldn't expect traction comparable to a blizzak or something similar. However, THEY ARE the best all season truck tire currently available (well the new LTX Defender M/S). For 95% of truck users, the Michelin LTX series are simply the best choice from a real-world performance standpoint. Unless you are running in deep mud or snow regularly, you wont need anything else. Everything else is for looks - sorry, not sorry.

My two sets have gone 85k and 90k respectively (and they were still within acceptable limits).

Last edited:
I love them. My 2012 F150 came with Michelins and I put just over 80,000 miles on those before a huge tech screw ruined a rear tire. I had already purchased a replacement set of MX2's ($500....take off's from a new Toyota) and mounted them. I sold that truck with just over 100k miles. My new F150 also came with the MX2's and they currently have 39,000 miles on them. I have a friend that runs parts for a local company and he put 135,000 hwy miles on his OEM MX2's and is still on his 2nd set at 240,000 miles.

I have them on a couple of my work trucks.One truck is a Chevy 3/4 ton 4 x 4 pick up truck and the other is a Ford F350 4x4 dually. So far they work well plowing snow and offer a nice ride with no tire balance issues. They are also quiet.

Notice mrsilv04 said "LTX" not LTX M/S2. Of course his experience is the polar opposite of everyone else who actually owned M/S2's. Perhaps he'd care to share with us which of the many LTX tires he owned. I'm guessing they weren't LTX M/S2's, but something more highway oriented.

I had a stellar experience with my LTX M/S2's on my Honda Pilot. I would have gotten them again but they discontinued my size. My understanding is that they are on the way out of production. The current size range available is rather small compared to a few years ago.

My only complaint is they are heavy and have so-so fuel economy. Everything else, traction, tread left, ride, and noise, was stellar.

Have a set of 265/75/16E M/S-2's on my 2500HD......Nothing I've found works better on this truck in this climate. Retaining balance is a pet peeve of mine & they have to be smooth at 85mph, Wet traction gets worse as they age (harden) & the superficial cracking to go along with it are the only complaints I have.

Absolutely the top of the heap for our 4.5 ton service vans and Silverados. We also put a set on our RAM when brand new. My Wife came home one day after it rained and said "these Goodyears are not like Michelins".

There was a slight mileage penalty, probably .5 mpg IME. Still look great at nearly 80k miles.

Actually some of the cheapest per mile tires out there. I was just quoted 699.00 out the door for 4 245/75-16's in load range E for my new van!

Originally Posted by HangFire
Notice mrsilv04 said "LTX" not LTX M/S2. Of course his experience is the polar opposite of everyone else who actually owned M/S2's. Perhaps he'd care to share with us which of the many LTX tires he owned. I'm guessing they weren't LTX M/S2's, but something more highway oriented.

I had a stellar experience with my LTX M/S2's on my Honda Pilot. I would have gotten them again but they discontinued my size. My understanding is that they are on the way out of production. The current size range available is rather small compared to a few years ago.

My only complaint is they are heavy and have so-so fuel economy. Everything else, traction, tread left, ride, and noise, was stellar.

The LTX M/S was replaced with the LTX M/S2 which has since been replaced with the Defender LTX M/S. I have the Defender LTX M/S on my 4Runner and they're going into their third year in service strong. Granted I only have 23,000 miles on them but they're by far and away the best truck tire I've ever owned. I've recommended them to multiple coworkers who have also been exceptionally pleased with their performance on their F150 (2 separate owners) and Nissan Xterra. For the average user who doesn't venture deep off-road or who doesn't require the 3 peak mountain snowflake winter performance of a more aggressive tire I'm not sure there's a better tire offered. If there is I haven't found one yet.

Originally Posted by HangFire

Look fo the Ltx defender m/s. They are the new gen upgrade tire to the m/s 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back