SNOW TIRES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I would buy a higher-quality Winter tire such as Michelin, Nokian or Bridgestone. Hercules are built by Cooper and interesting fact Hercules is a wholly owned subsidiary of American Tire Distributors Inc.

If you are looking for value, General Altimax Arctic is a good bet.

Regardless, check Tire Rack reviews for your application.

The AltiMAX Arctic are being replaced by the Arctic12. So, finding the first gen Arctic in all sizes could become more difficult. I have the 1st gen on our daughter's car and she loves'em. However, previously being on her '06 Mazda3(with still much tread life remaining), we now have'em on her '15 Civic(both cars having the same size tires), the Arctic have become loud/very loud on the hiwy from being on the tire chewing Mazda.

This very quiet Honda Civic now sounds like her previous Mazda3 on the hiwy. In 9 yrs of ownership(purchased when 3 yrs old), we replaced 4 sets of 4 tires due to the Mazda's alignment spec(way too much neg camb). Not all M3 owners had this problem with tires but, we're not the only one either. This is another subject of course!, Sorry!

Originally Posted by Char Baby

This very quiet Honda Civic now sounds like her previous Mazda3 on the hiwy. In 9 yrs of ownership(purchased when 3 yrs old), we replaced 4 sets of 4 tires due to the Mazda's alignment spec(way too much neg camb). Not all M3 owners had this problem with tires but, we're not the only one either. This is another subject of course!, Sorry!

yep too much "zoom zoom" in the alignment specs for fun driving.. = tire wear issues sometimes.

just noticed the OP is from NE ohio.
Are you in the snow belt?

I'd go with discount tire if you have one nearby, they pricematch everyone.

just put my discount tire winter tires on, oversize 245/70r17 blizzak dmv2

IMG_20181205_083400.jpg

IMG_20181205_083404.jpg

Originally Posted by knerml
If you are looking for value, General Altimax Arctic is a good bet.

Regardless, check Tire Rack reviews for your application.

+1

I've been very impressed with the Arctic 12's on my rear-wheel drive BMW.

Rand I am in the snow belt too.
Rochester(along Lake Ontario) is 1 hour drive to Buffalo(Lake Erie).
We get dumped on every year.
We purchased these AltiMAX Arctic from DTD on steelies. Although they've gotten loud, they're not in need of replacement and still at 7/32nd going into their 6th winter. Wearing like iron and we'll get our money's worth.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Rand I am in the snow belt too.
Rochester(along Lake Ontario) is 1 hour drive to Buffalo(Lake Erie).
We get dumped on every year.
We purchased these AltiMAX Arctic from DTD on steelies. Although they've gotten loud, they're not in need of replacement and still at 7/32nd going into their 6th winter. Wearing like iron and we'll get our money's worth.

The michelin xice xi2 on the 2010 accent are now entering their 8th season. (purchased on 09-22-2011)

they are 5.5-6/32 This is the car that trashed the michelin defenders in 23000 miles. no alignment either.

The michelin xice xi2/xi3 are great tires.. if not a top choice for deep snow. They get around 3000 miles per winter. I only run them from aprox dec-1st to end of march.

Yes, the Xi2 & 3 are definitely a great winter tire. I have read great reviews from both, U.S. & CANADIAN tire reviewers.
Our Arctic's see about 4K+ miles per winter. This year, they're probably see closer to 6K miles.

I have the General Altimax Arctic 12's...with temps hovering just above freezing and the only snow found on some side streets, I haven't got enough snow to put them on yet.

Ran a couple sets of the original Firestone Winterforce tires. Good winter traction, but they are a bit noisy and rough riding; for the price not bad. Haven't had the Winterforce 2's.

Originally Posted by Baseball17
Anyone know about Hercules tires in snows Avalanche Extremes but even more RT 2? Quality and rep in Comparisons to Firestone Winterforce 2?

You could check out something like the Goodyear Weather ready too. I believe qualifies as a winter tire for mountain passes as well regular all season. Not sure how good they are but for my next set I might try them or something like it.

I've been running the Hercules Avalanche X-tremes on my Ram 2500 Diesel for several winters now. The are a significant improvement over my all terrains I run the other three seasons. Never had any issues and they have always got through Michigan winters, just wish they were studded for additional ice traction but studs are not allowed here unless your in the upper peninsula.

This will be my 6th winter with a set of Hercules Avalanche X-tremes on my Nissan Frontier. I don't put a lot of miles on my truck though and I fully expect to see these to be on it for another 3 or 4.

Very happy with the grip. Loud compared to my Michelin LTX defender m/s I run in the summer, but for my use I think they are a good tire. No regrets.

No doubt,I have run Altimax on our 2010 forester and our Tuscon for 3 winters now.I put them on in Nov. and take them off in mid April. Somuch better than all season tires in snow and in cold temps. By switching you also reduce the miles on both the winter and all season tires. Granted there last winter was pretty mild and I could have gotten by ok with all seasons,but when the big snow storm comes that is Not the time to wish you had winter tires on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back