old snap on torque wrench

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a torque wrench, Snap On model QJFR275E, on Ebay. It looks new with little use and should be here in a few days. I always liked the style and quality of older Snap On tools. While I should have asked this before buying it, are parts still available for these older wrenches? I'll send it to Angle Repair for calibration, hence my question about parts availability. Does anyone have an idea how old these models are and when they quit making them, and if they are accurate to plus, minus 4 percent like newer models? I'll be looking to buy one in this style/ model in inch pounds, particularly 200-1000 in lbs and 40-200 in lbs, and a 1/2 drive 40-250 ft lbs if anyone has one for sale. Thanks

I tried posting a picture of a wrench just like it I had found online with no luck. It is one of the older designs with the lock ring you have to turn to the left to lock it once the correct ft lbs is set, to the right to unlock it. In my opinion it seems to be better quality than the Snap On one I have today, which I bought new 3 years ago.

Last edited:
The ratchet head will forever be covered by Snap-on, The rest of the tool is probably made by Central.....Get it calibrated & use it!!

Torque wrenches are one Snap-on hand tool I will not buy used, Never was a click-type torque wrench fan anyway. I use their TechWrench line now & used to use the Dial Type Torque-O-Meter line.

I dont mind buying used, I send it to angle and have them go through the whole wrench, repair and replace parts and make it like new if needed. One thing Im particular about is I let no one use my torque wrenches. If someone needs something torqued Ill gladly torque it for them but it doesnt leave my toolbox unless its in my hands. Regular hand tools are a different story.

How do you like the TechWrenches? Ive been considering them. I dont wrench for a living, but I can afford quality tools and I dont mind the prices for certain items.

How do you like the TechWrenches? Ive been considering them. I dont wrench for a living, but I can afford quality tools and I dont mind the prices for certain items.

Originally Posted by mobilaltima

I absolutely LOVE them. Not sure I could justify what they cost if I didn't make money with them.

Have you looked at Stahlwille at Amazon.de (they do ship to the USA cheap)? Stahlwille arguably makes the finest torque wrenches in the world. Unless you need a low lb-in tool with needle and memory I would go with split beam. I no longer use click type, they all went on ebay.
No need to set to zero after use, super quick adjustments, same or better accuracy and holds it longer the split beam has it all over the click.

Lots of Stahlwille..

Stahlwille

Keep in mind those prices inc German MwSt (sales tax) and when they ship to USA the tax is deducted, its almost 20% less.

Trav, I currently have the Snap On 1/2 drive split beam wrench in the link I posted above, I agree with what you said, very easy to use. I will definitely consider the Stahlwille ones, my only concern with split beams is they usually are in 2 lb and 5 lb increments, do the Stahlwilles measure in 1 lb increments? Can the Stahlwilles be bought in ft lbs and in lbs readings? I'm not familiar with newton meters. The link you posted, is there any way I can get it in English? I apologize for all the questions.

Any time. Amazon.de is the place to get many high quality German tools at a good price. Almost 20% cheaper than if you were to buy them there. Somethings you cant get so I bring them back with me or ship them.

You will find the Hazet and Stahlwille right up there with SO and the Stahlwille torque wrenches are even better but many Americans do not like the German/Euro preferred finish on the tools. Chrome plated tools are considered a sign of cheap tools by most European mechanics, just the opposite of US customers.

Most Euro tools either have a blasted or brushed finish with possibly a splash of chrome at the wrench ends (Hazet) for example, the tool steels used are some of the absolute finest in the world and the sizing and broaching is spot on which is important with 12pt tools.
When this is not done with absolute precision the wrenches or sockets can slip and this is why many users/posters of 12pt hate them. Personally I love my 12pt tools and despise 6pt wrenches but that's another story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back