Most durable EC-1 rated ELC coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will be on my 2006 F250 6.0 PSD. I am aware that Ford Gold Coolant is specified. I am switching for that reason.

I am looking for an ELC coolant that meets the CAT EC-1 spec. Looks like some have different milage/hours ratings listed on the bottle. I want the most robust one that will have the longest service life. I want this to me my last coolant flush on this truck. I will be adding a coolant filter at the same time.

Is it best to stick with the CAT stuff since it's their spec or is there a better option? The Napa close to me can order the Zerex ZXED1 for around $20 a gallon.

There appears to be several choices;

Shell Rotella
Cat
Zerex
???

Well, CAT would be a logical choice. Rotella, DELO, JD, DELVAC.

I ran CAT in mine (7.3/6.0/Cummins) but I was running heavy equipment at the time and I was at CAT pretty much twice a week or more so it was easy.

Cross ZEREX off your list.

Last edited:
Hi,
I work for Prestone. Prestone HD ELC coolant is rated for 300,000 service life, 600k if checked and supplemental additives are added as needed. It meets Cat EC-1 specifications as well. You can buy it at NAPA.

Zerex meets cat mack and cummins specs, i just went through this myself on the Zerex vs Rotella.

Zerex can be bought at Napa but almost no where else.

Rotella, at every truck stop or cummins dealer/repair facility.

Both will serve your purpose with neither one being "better"

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Well, CAT would be a logical choice. Rotella, DELO, JD, DELVAC.

I ran CAT in mine (7.3/6.0/Cummins) but I was running heavy equipment at the time and I was at CAT pretty much twice a week or more so it was easy.

Cross ZEREX off your list.

Whats wrong with the Zerex?

I am going to recommend John Deere CoolGard II for your 6.0. Its an extended life coolant that is closely related to GO-5 (Ford Gold).

Service rating is 6 years/6,000 hrs. and I am using it in my 6.0 without issue.

The main reason for my recommendation is the two coolants are chemically similar, no need to have two different coolant types in your system.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
I am going to recommend John Deere CoolGard II for your 6.0. Its an extended life coolant that is closely related to GO-5 (Ford Gold).

Service rating is 6 years/6,000 hrs. and I am using it in my 6.0 without issue.

The main reason for my recommendation is the two coolants are chemically similar, no need to have two different coolant types in your system.

Look pretty stout but as you know, I worry about the silicate drop out at the high temps. Seems like the CoolGard II is made for the higher temps. I'll do some more research on this stuff for sure.

I just really like the fact that there are no silicates in the EC-1 coolant and they are made for some serious longevity.

The silicate issue is a non-issue as there isn't enough to matter.

Another reason for using this coolant is protection happens immediately, because of the low silicate formulation. The EC-1 rated coolants need roughly 5,000 mi. in your system before a protective layer is stout enough to protect against cavitation.

After hours more of research, I decided to go with the Shell Rotella Ultra. Seems to be very well regarded in the big rig world.

I have a very maintained cooling system that has had several full flushes. I will be adding Restore and Restore Plus and adding a coolant filter and new degas bottle as well.

Have you done the ARP studs or Bullet Proofed your 6.0, just curious.

We have some customers that have had no issues with their 6.0 whatsoever, and some that are regular visitors. It sounds like you take really good care of your truck and those tend to be the customers that have minimal issues. On the parts end, I really enjoy when we have a diesel customer come in that is informed and knowledgeable about their truck and their engine.

Funny story, we had a customer who had no issues with his truck whatsoever show up one day with a weird request. He wanted us to put the new casting heads on his 6.0 along with ARP studs and full Bullet Proof setup, along with switching to ELC and adding a coolant filter. Our diesel tech had this look on his face like "you want me to do what, but your truck isn't broken?" Customer insisted on it so we put it all on for him.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Have you done the ARP studs or Bullet Proofed your 6.0, just curious.

We have some customers that have had no issues with their 6.0 whatsoever, and some that are regular visitors. It sounds like you take really good care of your truck and those tend to be the customers that have minimal issues. On the parts end, I really enjoy when we have a diesel customer come in that is informed and knowledgeable about their truck and their engine.

Funny story, we had a customer who had no issues with his truck whatsoever show up one day with a weird request. He wanted us to put the new casting heads on his 6.0 along with ARP studs and full Bullet Proof setup, along with switching to ELC and adding a coolant filter. Our diesel tech had this look on his face like "you want me to do what, but your truck isn't broken?" Customer insisted on it so we put it all on for him.

The only mods I have done so far:
4" straight pipe and cat delete so that I could help lower the EGT's. S&B intake w/ a dry filter, simply because it's much easier to clean and maintenance than the OEM set up.

Future plans are: Edge Insight CTS with the EGT probe and possibly a SCT Tuner. When the HPOP or ERG cooler finally goes, then I'll do everything at once (EGR Delete, Head gaskets, H-11 studs, Powermaxx Turbo, injectors).

Thanks! I really enjoy taking good care of it. I know the 6.0 has had more than it's fair of issues but this has been the best truck I have ever owned.

Originally Posted By: sw99
Thanks! I really enjoy taking good care of it. I know the 6.0 has had more than it's fair of issues but this has been the best truck I have ever owned.

I really do want one. I know I will need a tow vehicle when my 95 Mustang project is done. I have 2 friends that have studded theirs with the Bullet Proof setup and they get better mileage than my new Mustang.

Nice!

I can get 23 mpg on the HWY if I take it easy on the pedal. I'm pretty amazed with such a huge truck. Good luck!

Sorry to bring up an older thread - but Shell Rotella Ultra ELC isn't EC-1 rated. Shell Rotella ELC (non "ultra") is.
[Linked Image]

Have any of you run high mileage on a 6.0 PSD like the OP has (I have one too which is why I'm curious) on shell rotella ultra? Any ill-effects?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back