going through clouds of concrete dust

Status
Not open for further replies.
So does anyone else cringe when you are forced to drive through a cloud of concrete dust created by highway road crews cutting concrete with saws? Not only does it inevitably happen after I wash the car, but it gets sucked into my air filter. Seems like they could mitigate it with water.

That would require extra effort. Road construction crews aren't accustomed to extra effort.

And if it is a contractor doing the work, if the bid didn't specify water... there won't be any water, other than what it would take to protect the cutting wheel.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
That would require extra effort. Road construction crews aren't accustomed to extra effort.

And if it is a contractor doing the work, if the bid didn't specify water... there won't be any water, other than what it would take to protect the cutting wheel.
The owners manual of my Dad's STIHL TS460 states that water is intended to be used at all times. I've not used it enough to comment on blade wear dry v wet but that thing had the original blade forever cutting concrete and bricks using water. Even with water, it still gets pretty dusty. Dry it creates more dust than you can see through, fun times with that thing.

Helps create high efficiency level with your air filter
smile.gif

I used to worry about things like this, but after operating so many engines in what is at times perpetual dust storms and watching the engines go past 3000 hours (always at high load/rpm) I just don't worry all that much anymore.

Still a big air filtering fanatic, but I know these things will be OK.

The dust clouds you mention are passed through in about 1 second so I don't have time to cringe--but I know what you're talking about and feel your pain.

Let off the gas pedal if you have a chance and that will help since the engine won't be taking in a lot of air. Yes, I get a little nervous driving through that too. My Honda has a huge pan underneath that has to be removed to change oil. It's a PITA but it really keeps the dust and dirt out of the engine bay. It's almost unbelievable how clean the engine remains even when driving on gravel roads. My other vehicles are not like this and that belly pan makes a huge difference.

Just coast through the clouds. There is a quarry near me and sometimes the trucks coming and going near the entrance leave some much dust on the road the clouds are kicked up. I just coast through them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mrsilv04

I worked late one night this past summer and didn't get home until about 9pm...turn up the big hill to my neighborhood and find some huge, wide vehicle coming down.
This road doesn't even have a dirt shoulder to speak of, so I slowed way down and moved over practically onto somebody's lawn...only to have some foul mouthed yahoo yell at me as I went by about driving on the paint.
No signs or workers to warn by about what the heck these morons were doing...I had white paint all over my right tires when I got home, luckily nothing on the car itself.
My tax dollars at work! I guess their bid didn't include anything about signage to warn drivers or maybe they just blew it off because it was a back street....I tried to call the town to complain about the crew the next day and maybe figure out who they were, but got a runaround and finally just gave up.
The crew also got off track and painted over crumbled pavement and dirt in a few spots, great job dudes!
I would have loved for that filthy mouthed munchkin to talk to me like that with just the two of us around, man to man...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Blueskies123
Just coast through the clouds. ...
Yes, that's the best tactic if the cloud is dense but small. Coast a little beyond the cloud to allow cleaner air to reach the intake.

I cringe brieflly, but more for the construction guys working the saw and in its vicinity---can you say "chronic obstructive pulmonary disease"?

I use as little throttle as possible while going through the cloud and then just smile knowing that I have rightly prioritized filtering ability over maximum flow.

Remember you are seeing the lowest bidder contractor. What kind of quality do you get?

Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by Blueskies123
Just coast through the clouds. ...
Yes, that's the best tactic if the cloud is dense but small. Coast a little beyond the cloud to allow cleaner air to reach the intake.

yep... I was going to say this is what I do too ... I have a MT so I put in in neutral so the rpm's drop way low and coast on through. And, yes, I have thought about the guys doing the sawing and hope they have proper respirators. Because my 95 Maxima doesn't have a cabin air filter, I also shut off the heat or AC if I have it running (for MY protection) although it occurs to me now I usually have it on recirc so that shouldn't be necessary.

Not the pouring out of the seven vials. Not even the end of Western Civilization. Just contaminants that the filter was designed to handle. Unload your pistol and turn off the gas before you hurt someone cowboy.

I say, drop a K&N in there, then put'er to the floor and let'er suck in that "filtered" air and let'er breathe! What can go wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back