Did the shop put the wrong coolant in my car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I confirmed with the shop that they used a compatible aftermarket fluid. It is blue, but whatever was in the car previously was something else. They only added about 1L and the total capacity is 5L, so it's obviously going to take on (mostly) whatever color was in the car to begin with.

In any case, I picked up some Honda type 2 coolant for the shop to change in.

Last edited:
"topping off" is the first mistake .. IF the level was actually low .. then the coolant must be going someplace as coolant evaporates very little and most, if not all vehicles use a closed system ..
The second mistake was blindly trusting others to "do things correctly" This goes against man's nature .
The shop should simply show you what they used . . . and if not Honda approved, then they must flush and renew .. Probably 95% of people do not care and do not know.

Missing coolant means something. It seems odd to worry about what was used to top it off when the real concern should be where did the coolant go that the top/off replaced.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I know people are quite sensitive to this issue but if the shop happened to use the product below, they could claim you are the one who is worried about nothing. It's yellow in color. Don't blue and yellow make green?

"Guaranteed for all vehicles; Domestic, Asian, European "

That's right! It says on the jug, for any car, model, any color antifeeze, won't void the warranty, etc. ....
I've used cor-guard and mixed it with Japanese and Korean and american cars and with green and blue antifreeze.

I could more easily understand using Prestone or any other "universal" OAT AF with 2eha, it there weren't now readily available reasonably priced aftermarket Asian PHOATs which same the OEMs contain no 2eha. Used to be the case. Now however, with WM VAV, ZAF and the Pentofrost types available, in tint to match the oem, no reason imo not to go with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back