Cables Entering the Receptacle Box - Length?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put in some new boxes in my basement and made sure I met code with having enough insulation going into the box, but I see now that I should have maybe left more free wire in the box. I found mention of a six in rule that's sated below. Anyone know if it's code? I'm pretty sure I have seen many boxes with less than six inches of free wire inside.

Cables Entering the Receptacle Box

When electrical cables route from box to box, you must leave at least 6" of free conductor wiring in the junction box for connection purposes. In article 300.14, this technique is explained. If wires are too short, it's much too hard to make a connection and in the event that you need to trim off a bit of wire to rewire a switch or outlet, you'll need a few extra inches of usable wire.

Six inches sounds reasonable. You need the proper length to make all the connections. Too long and it will not fit neatly back in the box. Too little and you cannot get the wires out of the box to make proper connections.

Well, I guess I need to redo a few boxes. I've got about three inches on some.

I believe 6 is code, I leave 6-8 about the length of my wire strippers. And 1/4" of sheathing through the connector with romex or the pinch clamp on the plastic boxes.

Originally Posted by ET16
Well, I guess I need to redo a few boxes. I've got about three inches on some.

Definitely not enough. 5" at a minimum.

It is definitely a code item, and where in Maryland you are dictates what version of the code they are using. But that also depends on if you're having the work inspected.

I leave a loop of wire above or below the box and then the wires in the box is about 6". This way if you need to cut back the a portion of the 6" of wire in the box at a later date there is extra above/below the box that can be pulled into the box further later on.

Like this (Yellow wire)

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
I leave a loop of wire above or below the box and then the wires in the box is about 6". This way if you need to cut back the a portion of the 6" of wire in the box at a later date there is extra above/below the box that can be pulled into the box further later on.

Like this (Yellow wire)

[Linked Image]

That setup is not in accordance with the NEC in the US. NM Cable (Romex) must be supported within 12" of that type of box.

I redid my wiring so that I'd have six inches in the box. I have less slack outside. There's no rule on slack is there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back