LCD TV - fix or replace

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 32 inch Sharp Aquos LCD TV that started smelling like " burnt electronics" and died. I took it apart to see if I could find anything obviously broken/burned but no luck. It's about 10 years old. Any insight on repair or replace?? I have little knowledge or experience in TV repair.

Toss it.

Prices for new are so low that a repair just isn't economically viable.

Your a day late and a dollar short for the Black Friday pricing that lasted through yesterday at Best Buy on some models.
A dead 32" TV is disposable.

You can however get a new 32" for $99 at Best buy. It will probably have a better picture than your TV ever had.
The only thing the ancient LCD TV's were better at 10-15 years ago was sound quality. The small cheap LCD TV's had slightly larger speakers because the larger cases allowed for it.
Keep that in mind.

Originally Posted by BigD1

My bedroom TV went bad this past Spring, and I bought a new 32 inch Sceptre from Walmart for $89.99.

Wow, that's pretty sweet. When I got my 32" ten years ago they tried selling me a warranty for $200. I declined, figuring by the time my TV died, they'd be cheaper.

I'm not wrong.
lol.gif

My Dad had a 2008 LG plasma fixed twice, the second time the guy could not fix it but still charged him labour. Both repairs probably cost 80% of a new TV and he only got a few years out of the first repair.

Replace with LED. Also, Walmart etc have TV's with lower processors. Amazon and Bestbuy and other Tier 1 big box stores have the high speed electronics. If that matters to you. Although you pay $$$ for it.

Remember commercial goods are manufactured with a planned expiration. Not made to last like American ingenuity from the post WW2 era. We have a disposable economy. I asked a repair person (25 year experience) about fixing a 5 year Samsung Front Loader. He stated that it was cheaper to replace, due to electronics. He was an independent repair person, not factory.

A couple years ago, someone set a NICE Vizio 46" on the curb, with the remote. (LED)

I took it home, did 15 minutes of troubleshooting,
ordered a new E-PROM on ebay for $14,
and had a nice 46" Vizio for $14 - 6 days later.

Situations vary - - I tend to agree with the others - just get an LED.

Don't know where you are using the current tv but the 4k TVs have come down a lot in price vs a 1080p TV. Also most will be "smart" and connect to the internet so you can as examples, watch YouTube or Netflix wirelessly.

Next TV sale is Superbowl weekend.

I'm repairing two small appliances, for family and friends.
Older Keurig K-cup maker: would have been better off round-filing it. But I'm not going to give up now.
8 yr old toaster oven: One capacitor and it should work again. I didn't scoop the anti-vibration poop off of two caps to read their values before I ordered, so I get to order again. I just assumed, same physical dimensions, and close to each other, same values.

Of course, you have to have hundreds in tools and test equipment, and some experience.

Originally Posted by Onetor
Replace with LED. Also, Walmart etc have TV's with lower processors. Amazon and Bestbuy and other Tier 1 big box stores have the high speed electronics. If that matters to you. Although you pay $$$ for it.

Remember commercial goods are manufactured with a planned expiration. Not made to last like American ingenuity from the post WW2 era. We have a disposable economy. I asked a repair person (25 year experience) about fixing a 5 year Samsung Front Loader. He stated that it was cheaper to replace, due to electronics. He was an independent repair person, not factory.

If you buy the same model its the same TV? or what were you trying to say there?

Originally Posted by Rand

If you buy the same model its the same TV? or what were you trying to say there?

Walmart T.V.'s are cheapened up.
They may look like the same as at Best Buy but you will notice a slightly different model number.
Instead of 12345678A the Walmart will be 12345678AB. Or a variation of.
Very subtle but there.

Normally I would say Google the model # and see if there are similar failures since these things tend to fail in similar ways. Many times it's a component on the power supply that can be hand soldered easily. However this is a 32" so even a $20 part is not worth the repair.

My 50" Panny plasma is coming up on 10 yrs. Still works the same so not worth replacing but won't be fixed should it bite the dust.

Costco has pretty good TV pricing and they throw in a 2 year (standard) or 4 year (pay with costco credit card) warranty. I'd get a 43" 4K TV through, no point is getting any more 1080p devices.

Helped my mother get a new tv the other day, we ended up at a TV discount place.

Ended up with a 50 inch Hisense 4k TV for $240.

Fantastic picture, and the apps run smoothly.

I'm about 7 years in on my 40 inch 720p tv, looks like trash compared to 4k.

Quit spreading that lame, old story. No different than (since it's posted at this site) Walmart sells lesser quality Mobil 1, Castrol, Valvoline, etc and that's why they're lower cost than anywhere else.

A TV manufacturer might have multiple "lines" of TVs and Walmart may sell the lower-end and mid-range while a Best Buy and so on only sell the mid-range and higher but there's nothing shady about that. Some people only shop on price, so let them....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back