Ham, bean and potato soup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got this cooking in the crock pot. Nothing except for dutch oven made chili is better. I use smoked ham hocks from local butcher and took some and cubed it with potatoes. How do you folks make it?

5959.jpeg

I've never cooked potatoes with beans and a ham hock. What type of beans? Dried beans take a lot longer to cook than diced potatoes but looks good.

Originally Posted by gman2304
I've never cooked potatoes with beans and a ham hock. What type of beans? I don't see any. Dried beans take a lot longer to cook than diced potatoes but looks good.

Originally Posted by Boomer
Where are the beans???

Mixed in with the ham and ham hocks

I've never cooked potatoes with beans and a ham hock. What type of beans? Dried beans take a lot longer to cook than diced potatoes but looks good.

Used a 2lb can of Hanover large Lima beans rinsed well.

My last was Navy bean and sausage with onion,celery and a sweet potato*. I used a bay leaf,a few whole cloves, cumin and a few peppercorns. Basic recipe on bag plus inspiration from a recipe in Joy of Cooking. And some soggy veggies. I used to make pea soup, but beans are better smelling.

* out of regular potatoes

You lost me at "2lb can of beans".....sorry.

That amount is perfect for my 7.5 quart crock pot sir

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
You lost me at "2lb can of beans".....sorry.

That amount is perfect for my 7.5 quart crock pot sir

Not about the amount, but the fact they're "canned beans". I prefer slow cooking dried beans, but that's just me.

What's the rest of the recipe? Lima beans aren't what would strike me as first choice for this soup, based upon flavor. Still worth a try...

Originally Posted by JHZR2
What's the rest of the recipe? Lima beans aren't what would strike me as first choice for this soup, based upon flavor. Still worth a try...

Large Lima beans, ham I cubed and cut up, 3-4 smoked ham neckbones from local butcher/deli and potatoes. Put in crockpot and wait 4 hours with crockpot set on high

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
How about black beans, red kidney beans and chick peas. Used them to make Chili last week. Planning on buying bone-in ham this Christmas and will make ham and beans in the Crock pot.

Talkin my language now sir:)

I use chick peas and black eye peas with chilis peppers with rice and artichokes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back