Cowling open on takeoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! Forgot to latch both the fan cowl and ducts
spankme2.gif
Somebody is going to be looking for another job real soon.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/passenger...lane-212003884--abc-news-topstories.html

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by funflyer
Originally Posted by PimTac
It happens a fair amount on the Airbus 320.
Yes it does. Aircrews and mechanics aren't what they used to be I guess. No wonder I prefer driving to flying.

Airplanes are and have been the safest form of transportation for decades.
But let's not let facts get in the way of a good conversation...

Originally Posted by Imp4
Yes it does. Aircrews and mechanics aren't what they used to be I guess. No wonder I prefer driving to flying.

I won't argue that, however I'll still take my chanced behind the wheel.

Originally Posted by Imp4

True but in relative terms this situation happens on the A320 series. The usual scenario is the first flight after overnight maintenance. Visual checks are not enough according to some on pilot forums. Why Airbus hasn't designed a better latch is for another discussion.

Flying is by far the safest mode of transportation.

https://news.aviation-safety.net/20...ily-engine-fan-cowl-door-loss-incidents/

The 45th incident?

"On November 30, 2018, an Airbus A320-214 operated by Frontier Airlines lost the fan cowl doors of engine no.2 upon takeoff from Las Vegas-McCarran International Airport, Nevada, USA. This incident was at least the 45th fan cowl door loss event involving an Airbus A320-family aircraft."

Good Lort!

I didn't watch all of Juan Brown's video - but I sure shared his perspective the last time I watched his whole video. I'll bet that everything he says is right on...

Simply: when I was an Airbus A-320 FO, checking those latches was part of my walk-around responsibility.

When I first learned the airplane, the check airman who gave me my final check-out very carefully walked under the engine and showed me how the latches looked when they were not completely closed. You bet I checked them on every flight.

On the 320 neo's the cowl latches now have prox sensors, leave one open and you get an ECAM warning.

Originally Posted by ms21043
On the 320 neo's the cowl latches now have prox sensors, leave one open and you get an ECAM warning.

That's helpful.

The 320 latch wasn't a great design, it was easy to get wrong, and difficult to see if it WAS only partially latched.

Originally Posted by Astro14
I didn't watch all of Juan Brown's video - but I sure shared his perspective the last time I watched his whole video. I'll bet that everything he says is right on...

Simply: when I was an Airbus A-320 FO, checking those latches was part of my walk-around responsibility.

When I first learned the airplane, the check airman who gave me my final check-out very carefully walked under the engine and showed me how the latches looked when they were not completely closed. You bet I checked them on every flight.

I would imagine with both of you and J.B.being pro pilots the general info you share would be similar.

cowl latches now have prox sensors

There is a lot about Airbuses that is poor foundation covered over by slapping on ever more electronic bandages, to the point the bandages need bandages. The way of most modern industry [and government], I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back