Pure Gas is best w non API oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://itstillruns.com/effects-ethanol-catalytic-converter-12172217.html

Found this and it looks like my 87 pure is the right fuel for me since I have been running Redline 0w20 for quite some time. I was worried about this very issue but it seems to be that ethanol fuel and regular pcmo is fine but not for me. I imagine that the good line of Amsoil/ premium line would also fall under the same as redline. So it seems it's not the additives that kill catalysts but the fuel carrying them into that makes it all happen. Any enlightening thoughts would be welcomed and appreciated. Have great weekend all.

36.gif

Diesel fuel doesn't have any ethanol, yet catalytic converter poisoning from phosphorous is a real thing in diesels.

Can Richard Rowe please explain how that's possible if it's the phosphorous reacting with ethanol, not the phosphorous itself, that causes converter poisoning?

He says catalytic converters were mandatory in 1996.

Is this credible?

I mean, Cat converters go all the way back to 1974................. 22 years earlier.

In 1996, the federal government dropped the allowable ZDDP content in standard engine oil from 1,600 parts per million to 800, and then dropped it again to 400 in 2004.

That is not true. I stopped reading there because I lost trust in the author.

All I know is that my 300K 528e needed a new O2 sensor to pass emissions specs. The cat was fine. The car ran on e10 bargain 87 and was lubed by Supertech 20W50. It was a leaker not a burner. It is a matter of keeping the engine is somewhat of a decent tune. Italian tune ups . This is from the early 2000s so cars are way different now.

Originally Posted by JAG
In 1996, the federal government dropped the allowable ZDDP content in standard engine oil from 1,600 parts per million to 800, and then dropped it again to 400 in 2004.

I read it all the way through...you were the smarter guy, I lost at least 3 IQ points reading it all the way.

Originally Posted by Shannow
Originally Posted by JAG

I read it all the way through...you were the smarter guy, I lost at least 3 IQ points reading it all the way.

Haha!

Original Catalytic's on my Santa Fe when it died. Used Signature Series the majority of its life.
21.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back